Is this kicker enough motor?

sutor623

Rear Admiral
Re: Is this kicker enough motor?

Pete- Looks good!

Thanks man, she needed a full water passage cleanout and gasket job, but I have around $150 in her and doubt I'd sell her for less than $400 at this point, and that's if I'd even sell her at all. You can always buy a motor with the money, but who's to say it's going to perform without valuable time spent on it. Im at the point where I just want to fish!! Been workin on this darn '67 Merc 650 for months now, and finally she is doin the deed!

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ran the trolling motor this weekend and it could barely push the boat...I was able to get about 1.5-2mph at half throttle going with the wind and couldn't make barely any progress going against the wind and that was nearly full throttle. I think it might need to be a little deeper on the hull. My grandfather said it needs to go another 6 inches lower which I think he is right. Any suggestion?

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'd count on it for trolling but not rescue.
and if it's a 5 hour old 8hp from the 80's you can do alright with a trade/sale.

I called about trading it in and they said they would give me $60.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I called about trading it in and they said they would give me $60.

BAHAHAHAHA!!! Forget that man, you could easily get $4-500 for that motor around here if it is as clean as you say it is. (From a private buyer that is)

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I ran the trolling motor this weekend and it could barely push the boat...I was able to get about 1.5-2mph at half throttle going with the wind and couldn't make barely any progress going against the wind and that was nearly full throttle. I think it might need to be a little deeper on the hull. My grandfather said it needs to go another 6 inches lower which I think he is right. Any suggestion?

I don't think dropping the motor another 6" is going to do much, seeing as you cav plate is right at the bottom of the hull, and looks to be well under the water line. Do you have your carb set up properly for high speed fuel mixture? That will make a slight difference.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not sure I didn't mess with it too much out on the water. We just trolled with the big motor. I was hoping to get $600 at least for it mainly because it only has a few hours. The big motor just guzzles the gas.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think dropping the motor another 6" is going to do much, seeing as you cav plate is right at the bottom of the hull, and looks to be well under the water line. Do you have your carb set up properly for high speed fuel mixture? That will make a slight difference.

It is below the hull but not below the bottom of the boat. I don't know if it will make a difference or not.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

It is below the hull but not below the bottom of the boat. I don't know if it will make a difference or not.

I dont think so, that is the same way my Starcraft is. As long as the cav plate is at about the level of the bottom of the boat (where it is mounted) it will work as intended. It is when the motor is up higher that you will have issues. This will create sort of a swirling effect between the boat and motor, limiting thrust. Like Homecookin said, that motor will troll well, just not get you home very quickly. Id put it on CL with tons of pictures. Spring time will have that motor gone before you know it.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ya I think I will buy a tohatsu 4 stroke...can't argue with the price and 3 year warranty with electric start and altanator for charging.

Now I have to figure out if I need a 10hp or 15hp

sutor623

Rear Admiral

It wouldnt hurt to have the motor lower though, I just dont think that it will perform as much better as to offset the cost of converting your motor to a longshaft. You add wind, waves, current and all that mess, and you have real trouble moving around with that little 8hp.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Ya I think I will buy a tohatsu 4 stroke...can't argue with the price and 3 year warranty with electric start and altanator for charging.

Now I have to figure out if I need a 10hp or 15hp

So you are planning on having 2 different gas setups. One for the 4 stroke and one for the 2? If I were you Id get a little 9.9 or 15hp like I have, and if it is a 9.9 convert it over. You will not regret that extra 5hp. My 16' starcraft v hull goes around 5-6 MPH and my boat only weight 600lbs. Too bad you live all the way up in NY cause Id definately trade you my near mint 9.9 for your near mint 8+ some cash. Dont really use the 9.9 much anymore....
P2090931.jpg
P2090932.jpg

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I was hoping there was a way to make my 8 into a 10 but there is no way. The bores are different and about everything else.

I wonder if I can get a higher pitch prop with larger diameter to work.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Higher pitch and more diameter will lug you down big time. If anything Id think youd want a smaller pitch prop to get the RPMs up.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I can turn the rpms fine just need the speed.

sutor623

Rear Admiral

I can turn the rpms fine just need the speed.

Well I guess it is just trial and error from here. A larger prop is going to drop the RPMs down in most cases, but may give you some lower end torque. More than likely this will bring your top speed down though, unfortunately. Smaller prop theoretically will give you higher RPM's yielding higher speed. Not sure how much a prop will change things when just moving at displacement. Again, this seems very low in the bang for your buck department.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think 8s are hopped up 6s so yeah, no way to up it.

BillP

Captain

In 1980 bought a 20' Proline with a 140 omc and 9.9 longshaft omc for a kicker (total of 12K new!) I put an omc "sailmaster prop" on for extra thrust. It did ok in the river but once the chop came up offshore it was like not having a motor...steerage was difficult. I could not make headway in 20kt winds and ocean chop. That 20 pro was only 3000 lbs. I wouldn't put less than 15hp if you actually need to punch though waves and push against hard winds. Your prop is deep enough but you might see a little less cavatation when big waves hit the bow and stop headway. Just sayin...been there and done it...and stranded 30 miles offshore to learn it the hard way. As they say, learn from other peoples mistakes.

bp

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

well a few things:

do you NEED thgis motor to get you in when your big motor dies?

they do make different props for those small motors to be used as kickers on large boats and sailboats. the props arent BIGGER they are just pitched faster...

I think what determines a lot is how much draft you have.

I have a very heavy but lightly drafting 22 foot aluminum boat. I go max about 6-7 mph with an old 1970 6 hp and i go about the same exact speed with a good running 1990 15 hp.........i doubt you can get more than 7-8 mph out of any kicker....because you can get on plane....you are just pushing the wakes ahead of you...the more draft..the more of a wake you are pushing.

the 7.5 hp Johnson you have might not be running well....it might need carb work.....outboards hate to be left alone for years at a time...

if you need a kicker to just fish with...then a 6 or 7.5 should be fine unless you want to troll into heavy current or wind!!

if you need a kicker to get you home and push against a strong current or wind...then a 15 is what you need with a fast pitched prop

they might call them sailboat props

good luck

bob

sutor623

Rear Admiral

Thats cool to hear some peoples experiences with this bob. My 16' starcraft drafts very lightly as well, but my 4hp barely gets her moving as a pose to my 9.9hp. For trolling they are both great, but to get home the 9.9 really does much better. I think there is a point with these motors where you have the best of both worlds, as in highest horsepower and lowest weight. The trick is just to find it on each boat right? Another thing that I noticed was when I pull up the main motor to use my kicker, I get a huge difference in power/speed.

Chas0218

Petty Officer 3rd Class

A good friend of mine is trying to find an old extension kit the motor. I would like to get it further in the water but if need be I can buy a newer kicker in the 10-15hp range. I just hate to drop money into this little motor for it to not work. I think the motor wasn't running at the top of its game and am going to look into the motor a little more with a full tune up, pump and probably a carb rebuild.

I will keep other motors in mind maybe even pick up one and if I don't need it sell it.