IO or OB?

skibrain

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: IO or OB?

Harley or Jap bikes
Ford or Chevy

Even long after the original poster has stopped participating, this topic will continue to draw fire. Can we agree that people who tend to have their minds made up are not going to be easily swayed?

45Auto

Commander

But in a pinch (with an I/O) you could go to auto zone, pick up a starter and be back on the lake with 15 minutes of wrenching (depending on access of course).

It's easily possible, but it would have to be a VERY hard pinch (death or serious injury involved, need the boat REAL bad!) to get me to put an automotive starter on a boat.

I can't imagine a situation where I would need a particular boat bad enough to do that. Sparks in a bilge with gas fumes aren't a real good idea ......

NelsonQ

Lieutenant

I vote for a sailboat.....or canoe.....:D

Oh wait, lots of sailboats now have a backup outboard on them, so the debate continues :(

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

For the record MY chicks dig outboards, because they are real boaters who bait their own hooks, dig clams, know how to run a low-tide marsh, read clouds, sand bars and currents, set an anchor, bait a crab pot, back a trailer, cross-tie, and shove-pole across the flats. They know how to deal with cranky old salt water outboards, squalls and currents.
They tan up just fine being active instead of just sitting there. And if one of your I/O chicks got too oiled up and slid off the dog house, one of my O/B chicks would gladly ride by and gaff her for you.

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

For the record MY chicks dig outboards, because they are real boaters who bait their own hooks, dig clams, know how to run a low-tide marsh, read clouds, sand bars and currents, set an anchor, bait a crab pot, back a trailer, cross-tie, and shove-pole across the flats. They know how to deal with cranky old salt water outboards, squalls and currents.
They tan up just fine being active instead of just sitting there. And if one of your I/O chicks got too oiled up and slid off the dog house, one of my O/B chicks would gladly ride by and gaff her for you.

The ladies on my boat seem to prefer the swim platform more than the rest of the boat... No motors at all to get in their way when enjoying the water back there. :D

Just stirring the pot a little.

Ki Ki

Petty Officer 1st Class

Up front cost for the same HP I/O is cheaper than outboard. In the long run, outboards are usually less maintenance and easier to replace.

My experience:

2 stroke outboard = least maintenance. (gear oil, impeller, fuel filter etc)
4 stroke outboard = significantly more maintenance. (Oil changes, filters, belts etc)
I/O = Even more maintenance (bellows, exaust risers, gimbal bearing etc)

Many others will have more experienced advice.

Cheers

I worked at a Marina on the Great Lakes for 5 years. Not as a mechanic, but a dock hand in college. I can assure you that the outboard is the least maintenance. Sure, not the highest performance or look the sharpest at times. However, they're easily accessible, and mechanics have easy access to them without reaching into the i/o abyss.

45Auto

Commander

Homecooking said:

If you could just send me, 25thMustang, and MtrainTurbo one of your chicks each, then they could run the boat and WE could lay out on the sunpad on our I/O and be your eye candy ...... :eek:

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

If you could just send me, 25thMustang, and MtrainTurbo one of your chicks each, then they could run the boat and WE could lay out on the sunpad on our I/O and be your eye candy ...... :eek:

No I/O here, and even my I/O had no sunpad... they secretly stuck the motors below the cockpit floor. Have to deal with deck chairs, but we make due.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Re: me, 25thMustang, and MtrainTurbo ... could lay out on the sunpad on our I/O and be your eye candy....

Eewww! Poke my eyes out with a rusty bait knife!

I recently asked a mechanic whether he preferred 2 strokes or 4 strokes. He said, "I like both of them. Know why? They all break down!"