Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

• Yes, would'nt go on the water without it.

Votes: 210 67.7%
  • No, waste of money.

Votes: 28 9.0%
  • Been thinking about it.

Votes: 72 23.2%

• Total voters

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

Why would the persons health insurance NOT kick in?

Pierutrus

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't go on the water without it.:eek:
Anything can happen. Let alone your boat sinking and the EPA would like to talk to you about it. And then get it salvaged/out of the water where ever it sank.
That right there is the main reason why I have insurance.

slydog75

Petty Officer 3rd Class

First, a buddy of mine and an experienced boater, had his daughters freind on the tube. She fell off and before he could see what happened, she grabbed the rope. As he turned to get back to her, the rope tightened around her arm and filleted it to the bone. We were welling but by the time he figured it out, it was too late. We rushed over, cut the rope and called 911 to meet us at the ramp. NO insurance on his boat. SUED! Still paying. Has no boat, camper, or truck to pull it even if he did.

Those parents are a**holes, but they're the reason you need insurance.

slydog75

Petty Officer 3rd Class

speaking of ins.....BoatUS will only insure me for liability since there was a "lapse" in my boat insurance. I wasnt using it, it was secured and so i let the ins. go for a few seasons on it. Oh well, anyone find a smokin deal on insurance out there? i am looking for an inexpensive full coverage company.

Check with Geico. www.geico.com. They don't write the policies directly, but match you up with a good company and a good price.

wajajaja02

the same reason they don't cover auto accidents,or claims related to autos.
and even after they cover the medical expense, the child looses the use of her arm, she as a individual can sue you when she reaches legal age, say at 18 or 21, she has a life time of prosthetics to be fitted for . and you and what was to be your kids college fund to pay for them. buy insurance.

sikz3

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just financed my 04 bayliner so insurance was a must. But if I had known how cheap it was, my prior boat would've been covered as well. I went thru Travelers Insurance and full coverage with $100 ded is $188 annually. And I am 31 y/o. Not bad at all! Great to know your covered if the unthinkable happens.

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If a person doesn't have insurance they have what ever is coming to them....

Thajeffski

Master Chief Petty Officer

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Maybe I live in an area of REALLY smart people or something. However in my whole life, nobody has ever sued anyone when **** happens on the water. My family has had two boats in the ocean the whole time I've grown up. MULTIPLE friends have had jetskis (like 10 plus) and we've always done water sports etc etc etc.

I do not hang out with people who would sue me for anyreason. You might laugh but I laugh just as hard when I hear people bring out passengers that wouldn't take total responsibility when it comes to themselves.

Then again, I'm in one of the most wealthy counties in the country (NO I am not rich, I own an 8k boat) so maybe everyone can afford to pay for their own **** ups?

rjlipscomb

Chief Petty Officer

I'd love to hear from the people who are saying, "I just bought insurance and now I have peace of mind".

Just exactly how much insurance gives you peace of mind?

I see a number of people trotting out the nightmare scenarios. Young kid's arm stripped to the bone? Just how much insurance do you think will be require to INSULATE you from financial damage in THAT scenario?

I got news for ya- if you get sued for $1M and lose, if your insurance level is $100k per person for injury, your ins co is gonna sign a check for their liability limit and walk away leaving you on the hook for the remainder. How did that INSULATE you and give you peace of mind? You think the lawyers are going to agree to settle for policy limits and let you off the hook? You can have reasonable insurance and still lose everything. Having insurance is no guarantee of insulation from loss unless you have some astronomical umbrella policy.

I saw one example posted with $20k/person with a $40k cap. Have you been to the hospital (or know someone who has) recently? $20k isn't squat. And don't think that if all you have is $20k in assets, that's all you have to lose. You can go negative...

Sorry if this bursts anyone's 'peace of mind' bubble. How is having the minimum level of insurance all that much better than having none from YOUR perspective?

Well, I'm in the "peace of mind" category. My insurance provides $300,000 liability coverage. Yes, I understand that accidents can quickly exceed that. However, I am not and most of the boaters on this forum are not reckless idiots. I boat in conditions where I have maximum possible control. I maintain reasonable control of my guests. I use sound judgment while boating and on water activities. However, I cannot control all situations and prevent all accidents. Therefore, I carry insurance to protect me from the majority of those issues that I could find myself facing. This gives me peace of mind. I don't have to worry about minor collisions or falls. For bigger issues, I use sound judgment. :)

wajajaja02

having insurance will put a defense lawyer paid for on your side, the insurer will protect your,their interest at no cost. that will be worth a fortune by its self.

Sikiguya

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just read a case that was in the paper yesterday. Stemmed from a car accident in 2007. Plantiff was riding in a car driven by his friend who was drunk at the time. He turned left in front of an Algonquin, IL police car. Both cars crashed. The plaintiff and the officer were both hospitalized with injuries. Guess what?!! He is not only suing his drunk friend...but the police officer and the village of Algonquin!

I know of another case...here in Wisconsin. Guy owned a house with a swimming pool. Asked his brother to watch his house while he took his family to the Dells. Well, the brother brought his 3 year old son with him. While he was napping:eek:, you guessed it...the boy drown in the pool. And yep, you guessed it again, he sued his brother who owned the house for millions!

Yeah, you guys are so smart!...we are all just wasting our money on coverage! Keep waiting for the Obama stimilus money while you are at it!;)

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have always had it can't imagine owning anything that has a motor and moves at high speeds or any speeds and not having insurance

CaptNCamille

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It would if they had it, but then the health insurer would have the right to sue to recover their costs. Additonally, health insurance doesn't cover pain and suffering and other losses incurred such as lost wages and losses in life style, such as loss of use of a limb, paralysis, etc.

_chris_

Chief Petty Officer

$127 a year here. I just like the peice of mind that if anything happens I am covered.

Soccerd6

Recruit

homeowner's insurance, car/truck insurance, snowmobile insurance, and boat insurance - wouldn't have in any other way.... waste of $$? maybe.... right up until ya need it! I've done the math, and I'm coming out ahead.... :)

dontask

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys, I have to agree with many of the above posters, as an attorney let me advise you, get as much liability insurance that you can reasonably afford. There are a hell of a lot of sharks out there!

It does not surprise anyone that "as an attorney" you suggest---- have lots of insurance!!!! But of course attorneys are not sharks.
Just wondering though do attorney's ever suggest lawsuits? I'm really scratching my head over this question.

ScottinAZ

For a whopping 69 bucks a year, I couldnt NOT have it. Hell the cheeseburger on the way to the lake costs more than the monthly premium.......Good thing I have all my policies with the same company.

MrBigStuff

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I'm in the "peace of mind" category. My insurance provides $300,000 liability coverage. Yes, I understand that accidents can quickly exceed that. However, I am not and most of the boaters on this forum are not reckless idiots. I boat in conditions where I have maximum possible control. I maintain reasonable control of my guests. I use sound judgment while boating and on water activities. However, I cannot control all situations and prevent all accidents. Therefore, I carry insurance to protect me from the majority of those issues that I could find myself facing. This gives me peace of mind. I don't have to worry about minor collisions or falls. For bigger issues, I use sound judgment. :)

I'm glad to see one person had a pair and responded. Thanks, I appreciate your taking the time to give your perspective.

I can appreciate that most of the people on this board are not reckless idiots. However, as you probably know, you don't have to be a reckless idiot to be a victim of circumstances. And my time on the water has shown that the majority of boaters apparently do not frequent this board. I see reckless idiots almost every time out. Part of the reason I have insurance is not because I fear doing something stupid myself, it's to protect me and the people with me against morons who *are* reckless and either are uninsured or underinsured.

Regardless, that peace of mind part is what I wrestle with. Yes, I have enough insurance to cover 99.9% of the bad things that could happen. But even that small fraction of potential is enough so that I never have true peace of mind.

77GALAXIE

Cadet

Don't forget the group discount. I have Home, Auto and Boat with same insurer. Great deal.