Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

• Yes, would'nt go on the water without it.

Votes: 210 67.7%
  • No, waste of money.

Votes: 28 9.0%
  • Been thinking about it.

Votes: 72 23.2%

• Total voters

Thad

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Insurance: do you have it, should you get it?

Sorry, been gone a while.

Yes, it was on the Rock. But it has been longer than six years. It was probably around 11 years now.

As far as a law to have insurance here in Illinois, it is not. But it sure is a darn good idea. They were most likely asking for proof of registration. That you DO have to carry in the boat at all times, even though there are stickers on either side of the boat.

reap182

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Get it, Got it. Good;)

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I don't think it's required in Virginia; I wish it was. Not for me, obviously but for the other yahoo. That's why I have uninsured boater's coverage. But if the state required it, it would probably be so pitifully low, like $50,000, that it wouldn't make a lot of difference.

On the accidents described in OP, those victims should have medical insurance to take care of the injuries. In fact, in either story, the boat driver should not be liable, certainly not in case of the guy who fell overboard. But watch out: when people are irresponsible enough not to have medical insurance, especially for their children (a sin), they will hunt around for someone else to pay for their own slackedness, every time.