I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Re: I'm an owner! 1975 Islander 22

Ditto what EZ said...

Another route that you might want to at least think about is finding a donor boat with a nice driveline in it. That way you have EVERYTHING that you need all right there. All the little things can add up when you start to piece things together ya know.

The dudes over on the IO section will steer you right.:D

paparoof

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yeah, thanks for the support guys. It's not the end of the world, it's just a plot twist!

Last night my son asked why I can't just take the 6HP off the other boat, put it on the kicker lift and run the boat like that. I reminded him we also have a nice set of oars we could use too!

Oh well, I gotta get this thing outta the street - let the storage search begin!

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer

Since it had nice green Anti-freeze in it, and If it was my boat (big wish) I'd pull the engine, remove the engine, take the head off, crank and pistons out, bring the block to a machine shop and have the cylinders honed & maybe go .010-.020 on the pistons & new rings, get a valve job on the head, a gasket set and put it back together. At least I'd know the condition of the engine. you know it was well cared for up till then right ? should be about $500. I had my 165 rebuilt and have 160psi on all 6 cyls.

I'm not for buying someone elses old tired engine, or I'd get a long block (head, block, crank, pistons) all rebuilt and ready to go. about 500-800 more than my first paragraph.

Even if I did get a used one or $200-$500, unless the compression was over 120psi, I'd give the cyl head a valve job. new head gasket.

Be sure to check behind the water pump for rusting on the #1 cylinder. You can look at yours for reference first.

good luck..

ps.. if you want some added HP.. check out LUMP PORT heads for the GM 250ci-292ci

paparoof

Kainon - I been kickin' your suggestion around in my head all day and liking it better and better. I originally set a budget of about 3 grand for this project and IF this motor can be rebuilt for under a grand, I'm still doing well. At the very least, I think it's worth something to have this motor professionally diagnosed. I figure even if the block is trashed, at least I'll KNOW it for sure.

Then I came home and my tax refunds (yes, plural - I filed 2008 and 2009 on April 15th :redface:) were in the mailbox!

So I posted a question in the I/O section asking for recommendations for a marine shop in the Minneapolis area. Anyone here able to recommend one?

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Kainan's got a great idea there, and it looked to me like you weren't missing any of the necessary parts. Even the metal fuel line to the carb looks stock. Make sure you stick with true "marine" parts...don't fall into the trap of trying to save a few bucks by going with automotive parts. It may sound like a reasonable idea, but it's really not.

Also, double check with some outdrive guys about that small hole in the outdrive. I keep thinking I've seen that before on at least one of my own in years past...:confused:

Also, don't forget to get that motor lined up just right with the outdrive shaft when your put it all back together. It really does need to be perfect.

Anyway, enjoy the teardown...personally I would rather tackle a motor/outdrive rebuild than all the paint stripping/sanding I've been doing on my own rig. :(

Wanna trade (tasks, not boats)? ;)

TS

-

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry, one more thing. The genuine merc manuals are awesome. Don't waste your money on the cheap clymer or seloc. I've owned all three types, and none compare to the true merc shop manuals.

TS

-

paparoof

I'd happily trade tasks with you on this one. I hate sanding, but I'd rather do that than work on this motor - I'm over my head. I'm a fast learner, but if I'm gonna take my offspring onto the biggest lake in the world, I need to be sure that motor is gnna do what I need it to do. I'm gonna end up paying someone to do the motor work for me. I've got a couple customers that are motor shops, I'm gonna call 'em up tomorrow and see if I can spend a little of this tax return money.

Found an outdoor storage place for $50 a month too. Prolly gonna drag the boat up there tomorrow after work if I don't make a deal with a motor guy right away. I gotta get this thing outta the street. It's making me nervous.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lived in the Minneapolis area when I was a kid, and remember seeing Lake Minnetonka once. It seemed like a really cool place to boat. Are you planning on going there at all?

-

paparoof

Minnetonka is certainly on the list for cruising, but I don't see spending much time out there. Too many people. I'd rather get out on the big rivers and get away from the city.

So I said I would trade, are you getting in your truck now to get up here and fix my motor?

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I said I would trade, are you getting in your truck now to get up here and fix my motor?

:D If I were only about 1,150 miles closer I'd already be on your doorstep with a six-pack of beer and a truck full of tools!

Not planning any summer vacations to western colorado this year are you? ;)

-

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy CRAP Batman!!! Did you just change your avatar??? And is that one MONSTROUS catfish...or a bullhead??? :eek:

-

paparoof

Hey the six pack is (well okay...WAS) already here!

Yep I figured it was time for an avatar. That's a 40-pound flathead I got in the Minnesota River last summer. Interesting you mention bullheads - that's what I was using for bait!

NOW ARE YOU GETTING IN YOUR TRUCK???

paparoof

Here's a closer look....

(I'm the one in the hat)
flathead.jpg

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey the six pack is (well okay...WAS) already here!

Yep I figured it was time for an avatar. That's a 40-pound flathead I got in the Minnesota River last summer. Interesting you mention bullheads - that's what I was using for bait!

NOW ARE YOU GETTING IN YOUR TRUCK???

Bullheads for bait, that's hillarious! :eek:

...and um, I thought I talked you into a Colorado vacation? :p

-

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Dude, that catfish is so big you could use that golden there for bait!

I think I remember you setting aside around the $3K range for a new rig. I think you have a great opportunity here to set yourself up with a brand new or rebuilt power plant. You'll probably end up passing the $3K mark when you add it to your initial $700 investment but, with regular maintenance, you'll be in great shape for years to come! You can do it man, have fun!

paparoof

Well she's at the motor guy's shop. I called up a good customer of mine who does performance motors (there were four corvettes in the shop bays) and he's gonna remove the head, inspect it and tell me what he sees wrong. We talked at length about it and he also felt there's at least half a chance the block isn't cracked. If so, he's gonna get the pistons free, hone the cylinder walls and get 'er running for me.

I told him not to hurry on my behalf, but I sure hope he does! I'm dying to know if this motor is gonna stay or go!

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well she's at the motor guy's shop. I called up a good customer of mine who does performance motors (there were four corvettes in the shop bays) and he's gonna remove the head, inspect it and tell me what he sees wrong. We talked at length about it and he also felt there's at least half a chance the block isn't cracked. If so, he's gonna get the pistons free, hone the cylinder walls and get 'er running for me.

I told him not to hurry on my behalf, but I sure hope he does! I'm dying to know if this motor is gonna stay or go!

Well shoot, how cool is that?! You've got someone who actually knows what they're doing... :D

I guess I'll take my tools out of my truck and get back to sanding. :rolleyes:

I'm really hoping your luck holds and the motor turns out to be a real peach.

You'll let us know the results 5 minutes after you find out, right? :)

-

paparoof

Well shoot, how cool is that?! You've got someone who actually knows what they're doing... :D

I guess I'll take my tools out of my truck and get back to sanding. :rolleyes:

I'm really hoping your luck holds and the motor turns out to be a real peach.

You'll let us know the results 5 minutes after you find out, right? :)

-

of course!

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much about the motor breathing again, but it's tough not to. Just gotta wait this one out.

Stopped at Cabela's tonight on the way home and browsed through all the fun boat things. I was a good boy too - didn't buy anything! I wanna make sure when the bill comes due for the motor that I actually have the money to pay it.