I want to cut into some bump outs....

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 89 bayliner capri with NO storage. The only storage is the ski locker in the floor. I was wondering if i could cut out a door up under the bow seats. I didnt know if it was made that way for a reason or if it was wasted space that i could take advantage of. I dont wat to ruine my old new 2,300 boat. Any sugestions would be help full to. Thank you

pckeen

Commander
Re: I want to cut into some bump outs....

Not quite sure where you want to cut the door. There are a variety of things that are below decks, ranging from flotation foam to structural components like stringers, to electrical cables. Can you post some pictures of what you are thinking of doing and where you are thinking of cutting? That may help.

UncleWillie

Captain

Also what model/size is it.
Bayliner put the "Capri" name on a multitude of boats back then.

Are you sure the Bow Seat Cushions do not just lift off to expose the storage underneath? Very common!

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

I will try later to post some picks and i have the bow cushions off. The only storage that i found was in the verry front looks like a small anchor hold. Other than that i dont see any outher storage. The wires run along the underneth the cap. There are a couple of wires that are running to the bow but there for the bow light and to the raido. Im new to boating and am getting to know boats. What is this foam that was mentioned. Im just asking. I dont want to ruin my boat.

NYBo

Admiral

What model? All three bow cushions on mine lift up for storage.

shrew

Lieutenant

It is doubtful you will be able to cut an access hatch in the sole up forward in the bow seating area of your bow rider. The keel rakes up to the bow in that area. Think of the underside of the boat rather than the inside.

If there was usable space up froward between the stringers, Bayliner would have made a locker there. Bayliner may get accused of alot of things, but wasting usable space is certainly not one of them.

UncleWillie

Captain

We ask again! What model? It must be a 16' or smaller if there is no storage under the seats already.

The CG requires all boats under 20' to be unsinkable.
Most every nook and cranny will be filled with foam and sealed with fiberglass to keep the boat afloat.

This does not mean it will sit high and dry in a hurricane.
It will swamp and flood completely and likely roll belly up, but it will not go to the bottom.
The swamped hull at least gives you something to hold on to, and the helicopters something to see from altitude.
If you cut into the flotation foam you will find a small, otherwise unusable, space and reduce your chances of survival.
Peek into the anchor locker with a flashlight and a mirror to see what lies beyond.
Be 100% sure you know what is behind anything before you start cutting.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

As i posted in the first post its a 89 bayliner capri 1950. 19'11". The storage in the flor goes all the way to the bow. Its like a foot and half wide and about ten foot long. I will post some picks in a bit. Comp being stupid.

NYBo

Admiral

I have a 89 bayliner capri with NO storage. The only storage is the ski locker in the floor. I was wondering if i could cut out a door up under the bow seats. I didnt know if it was made that way for a reason or if it was wasted space that i could take advantage of. I dont wat to ruine my old new 2,300 boat. Any sugestions would be help full to. Thank you
I don't see any reference to the model # here.

Assuming this is a bowrider, there should be storage under the side cushions in the bow area.:confused:

BTW, your boat is just shy of 19'.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

My apology. I could have swar i put it in there. Im trying to post some picks and it not going so well. No storsge access any where except in the floor. What do you mean just shy of 19'. Is the title wrong?

Last edited:

briangcc

Commander

Nothing under the rear bench seat? Doesn't the seat lift up to expose storage there??

On my '99 1800LS both bow cushions lifted up to expose storage there and I had storage under the rear bench as well. If I really needed more, the rear seat on the back-to-back seats lifted up and I could toss more gear in there.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

The seats in the back are removeable yes but its open to the engine compartment. Any thing i put in their will just fall into the engine comp.

thumpar

Admiral

I have never seen a bowrider that didn't have storage under the front side cushions and in the back on both sides of the engine.

gstrom11

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used to have a 90 bayliner capri and it didn't have storage under the front side seats, only the anchor hole like OP is stating, pics would help greatly in this thread though.

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

Guys i swear im tryn to get picks on here but the site isnt letting me. It wolnt even let me upload the pick that i have as my profile pick. I thak yall for the info. As soon as i can upload picks i will.

UncleWillie

Captain

No storage under the seats of a 19 Foot Bowrider is very unusual.
Can you see under the cushion area when looking in the Anchor locker with a flashlight and a mirror?

When you lift out the front cushions are you just looking at a blank fiberglass shelf?

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

more boat stuff 2014 001.jpgmore boat stuff 2014 002.jpg Its just a box with a drain hole at the bottom.

NYBo

Admiral

Very odd. I have storage there, and my boat is the next model smaller (there was no change in the hulls between '88 and '89, AFAIK). I wonder if a previous owner redid the boat and eliminated the storage. Any signs of that?

rileyfam5

Seaman Apprentice

I havent realy gotten into it. The plywood that is with the seat is in good shape but on the boat whear it goes is kinda soft in the middle but stout around the edges. I gues i could make a cut their and check it. Now that you mention it the carpet looks great at the front and the snaps are still there but not on the seat. Ill tackle that tomarow and let yall know what i found. Where was your storage at?

NYBo

Admiral

Right where the horizontal platform is in your first picture. I go snap a picture but it's raining pretty hard right now.