I think my boat is slow

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I HAD THIS POST EARLIER THIS YEAR : http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=395641. I finally got her on the water, new tnt pump(THANKS RRITT), new cdi ignition, coils, plugs/wires. I ended up having to use a screwdriver to pry lever to engage forward but it worked for the time being. Need new cables I guess. Anyways, I pushed throttle all the way and it didnt want to go on plane, just bogged and wouldnt gain rpms. Messed with the throttle a few more times, same thing. Called the wife at the shore, told her to get the trailer. Then it started slowly to get some speed. Finally I'm up & running. Slow down a few times, get into the throttle, slow getting up but does and off we go again. This boat rides great. Its a 1986 Glasstream Angler 17' with this 76' 135 johnny. It didnt seem like we were running fast at all compared to what I expected. My tach and speedo neither work, so after about 10 minutes I found a guy in a glastron i/b to match my speed. Guess what: it sucks, about 28 mph. I would guess this boat should run 35-45.
Now I know without having a tach you guys may have a hard time giving me suggestions of what to look for. I would say the motor sounded like it was rapping good. I think having a slow time getting to plane has something to do with the speed. So what to do and what to check. I know i need to get my cables replaced, ordering some tonight and will drop the LU to measure and set shift rod and replace waterpump.
As always gentleman, thanks in advance for any info - Jody

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: I think my boat is slow

If you are sure the engine is running properly, you are going to have to put a tach on it to check the RPM at WOT, maybe you have the wrong size prop on it.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you are sure the engine is running properly, you are going to have to put a tach on it to check the RPM at WOT, maybe you have the wrong size prop on it.

Well the boat has a tach, the omc controls are now wired for tach but it doesnt work. I need to diag that I guess. Where does the tach get the signal from? It comes from the igntion switch right??? I get on the seloc site and see if there a diagram for the tach.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

My 17ft with my 90 does 42 mph, you sure it's firing/getting gas to all 4 cylinders?

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 17ft with my 90 does 42 mph, you sure it's firing/getting gas to all 4 cylinders?

Absolutley firing on all 4, thats the reason it has new ignition. Now as far as fuel, not sure. Pull the plugs and see if 1 is dry??

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Check the condition of the plugs, they should all look the same.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Check the condition of the plugs, they should all look the same.

Can the motor run smoothly even if only on 3 cylinders?? I'm an auto tech and I know you drop 1 cylinder off any engine, it's gonna run noticeably poorly.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Being down one cylinder it will run well just have 2/3 speed, when running on 2 they will run well but speed is 1/10 of what it is normally.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

BK, what size prop you running?? What should I be running??

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone have a good closeup pic of their throttle linkage. I just checked mine, WOT, and throttle blade linkage seems as though its way short of opening fully. The WOT stop bolt could probably be moved at least an inch but I'm curious about the lever(or cam?) the carb linkage rides on. I'm not sure its set correctly to allow WOT. Right now I may just be off idle or so it appears. Now this was of course checked with engine off.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

Just a thought

Keep in mind that when you check for WOT with the engine off, the gear shift needs to be in forward so the neutral over rev wont be engaged.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a thought

Keep in mind that when you check for WOT with the engine off, the gear shift needs to be in forward so the neutral over rev wont be engaged.

CHECK. Pushed throttle at controls fully forward, went to engine and manually moved carb linkage at least a full inch to WOT.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone have a good closeup pic of their throttle linkage. I just checked mine, WOT, and throttle blade linkage seems as though its way short of opening fully. The WOT stop bolt could probably be moved at least an inch but I'm curious about the lever(or cam?) the carb linkage rides on. I'm not sure its set correctly to allow WOT. Right now I may just be off idle or so it appears. Now this was of course checked with engine off.
Please anyone, take alook at this. I know something is not right with the throttle but I'm kinda hesitant to mess with any of it. I was looking at seloc manual and it seems that there is about a 4 step procedure for timing and syncing this thing. The worst part is testing in water or in a tank with proper test wheel. C'mon man, is there an easier way. I really wanna avoid the shop.

bktheking

Vice Admiral

I'm in cottage land and only have a blackberry, did you check Joe Reeves link n sync info, I think its on the faq.

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Anyone get a chance, post up a pic of your johnnyrude throttle linkage at idle and wot so i can compare. I just know that the carbs dont open completely and I dont know if the throttle stop or spark advance stop is set correctly.

Thanks - Jody

jpendergrass

Petty Officer 2nd Class

is this the "linc & sync" procedure??? per seloc:

General Information
Timing Pointer Adjustment
3-cylinder Powerheads
1973-85 V4 & V6 Powerheads
1986-91 V4 & V6 Powerheads

and then of course is the subsections

Pick-up Timing Adjustment