Looking for some type of headlight housing.....

LFTDJEEP

Cadet
I would like to mount some recessed headlights on the front of my bowrider. Do any of you know if there are recessed housings made at an angle to mount onto the bow under the mid-line of the boat? :confused:

I've got to believe that there is something out there to fit this type of application; however, I can't seem to find anything on google.

Grand Larsony

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking for some type of headlight housing.....

Just be aware that boats are NOT like cars... you do NOT drive around with those (or any other) lights on or else you'll blind other boaters.

Use them for docking ONLY, and\or get a hand held spotlight for occasional use.

LFTDJEEP

Cadet

Thanks guys. I knew that there had to be something to fit this application. Turns out I just had the wrong terminology. I realize that the boat isn't a car and I don't plan to run with them on constantly; however, if you're running up the creek channel or like we were this weekend heading between islands in the intracoastal you can't see the channel markers until you are almost on top of them since they aren't lit. It would be nice to be able to flip a switch on and off to see whats in front of you. Thanks for the help fellas!

haulnazz15

Captain

Some manufacturers also refer to them as "mooring lights". In any case, I think a spotlight would be of better use to you. The mooring lights don't shine all that car in front of you and only to the front of the bow. What happens when that channel marker is 20ft to the left and out of the light beam? Are you going to make s-turns to search everywhere with the mooring lights? You can mount either a remote spot/searchlight on the bow, or you can do the cheaper/easier option and just but a handheld searchlight which usually plugs into a cigarette lighter-style 12V recepticle.

The searchlight allows to you to shine it up close in front of the bow, far away, side to side.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed with ^^. I have been running a pitch-black creek through the marsh with unlit markers for years (also intracoastal). You want all lights off except the runnnig lights (and they have to be shielded). use a spot to quickly locate a marker up high, keeping the light away from the surface of the boat. Once located, mark it mentally and use your night vision (you see better w/ periferal than straight out vision). Flipping a light on at water level will do way more harm than good--if any good at all.