I played "New Guy at the Lake" Last Night

fleachili

Seaman Apprentice
So...........

My wife, 2 kids (3 & 6) and I take our "New to Us Boat" out for our third excursion last evening.

We load up and head to the launch; Marion Lake in Lakeville.
Upon arrival, the lot is half full, meaning there'd be roughly 20 boats on the water.
Perfect!!

We pull to the staging area...
I jump out and prep the boat; blower on, plug in, gear loaded, etc :D

There is one wide ramp, enough for 2 boats to launch/retrieve together; one has a dock to tie up to, the other is a straight to lake launch.
I back in to launch opposite the dock ramp, jump out, my wife assumes control of the truck.
I lower the motor, fire her up, idles great!!
Remove safety chain, unwind the winch and try to ease her to float...NOT MOVING!!!
DOH.. I forgot the transom straps!! :facepalm:

Thankfully, no one is waiting. I kill the engine and have my wife pull forward a bit, I disconnect the straps and back her in again.
I jump in the boat, fire her up; jump out the bow, barefoot.......

.........Wait for it............

........Ready..............

Land, slip, slide, assplant, wet to the waist...
But, cool as could be :rolleyes:
I jump up, unwind the winch, hop back aboard like nothing happened; Hoping nobody witnessed my folly.
I back her out, and idle while my family parks the truck.

I pull to the dock and pick up my family, whom didn't witness my water fun.

"Daddy, you're bleeding" says my princess; Sure enough, sliced up my foot on the concrete ramp.
I hadn't even felt it, running on adrenalin enhanced embarrassment i guess?!?

So now, not only am i soaked with no change of clothes, but bleeding as well.
Oh well, we're here to enjoy ourselves. A bloody foot and wet clothes, I've had worse days.......

Or so i thought............

So we're cruising along, having fun, happy that our minor engine problem appears to be fixed.
We decide we're going to anchor off shore and let the kids cast for some pan fish.
No anchor!! It's on the other boat!!!
Oh well, I'll troll it, just enough to keep us from drifting much.

Wrong, Speed Boats are sending enough of a wake at us, we're drifting towards a sandbar/ weed mess.
Start the engine; DIES!
Try again, won't idle, dies!!
I have my wife start the engine, and I'm on the carb, goosing the adjustment.

Success...
We motor out and decide instead to cruise a little more when a seaplane lands about 125 yards in front of us.
Pretty cool, my kids were very impressed by that. A very quiet engine, I didn't hear or see it until she was about 10ft off the water on descent.

We head back in, 4 boats in line to be retrieved.
Pull back to idle, engine dies!!
Turn the key, won't stay running; again!!

Try again, success....dies.

The sun has now set.....
Finally get her running, get to dock, run and grab the truck back in, boat to trailer, pullout and my boat is cockeyed, literally, 70/30!!!
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot:mad:

I swear, this should have happened to me long ago. I'm new to this but NOT THIS NEW!!

Anyways, took me another 15 minutes to get her on the trailer (Bunk w/ Guide Ons)
We're the last people leaving, thankfully!!
My left tire kept landing in a hole, which dropped the side substantially lower, and I cranked her askew.

We finally make it home, get the kids bathed and to bed. I get showered up, grab a beer and sit down to unwind.
I decide I'll post this embarrassing memory forever to the land of the internets, and now my laptop has issues!!!

So I've posted today, and can now laugh, although just a little bit, because my foot and pride are still wounded :rolleyes:

Silk

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: I played "New Guy at the Lake" Last Night

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot indeed, lol :D Not laughing at you, just with you my fellow Minnesnowtan. :)

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Transom straps? Been there, done that. Welcome to boating......:)

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hear ya' on busting on a wet ramp! I was loading solo, slipped on the mossy ramp, and caught myself by my face in 2" of water. Hurt like hell and smashed my glasses but didn't leave a mark. I much prefer busting my butt!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

well at least the plug was in

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

The first thing that came to my mind is that you deserve every bit of last night because your a Red Wings fan and are arrogant enough to brag about it...:D I'm just giving you a hard time, Believe me you are not the first to have a day like this nor will you be the last!!

Hopefully your around more often we have quite the Hockey Following here and even Red Wings fans are welcome!!

southkogs

Staff member

Great story. I don't know if I've done all of 'em together in one trip, but I've been there & done all of that - and usually with an audience.

fleachili

Seaman Apprentice

The first thing that came to my mind is that you deserve every bit of last night because your a Red Wings fan and are arrogant enough to brag about it...:D I'm just giving you a hard time, Believe me you are not the first to have a day like this nor will you be the last!!

Hopefully your around more often we have quite the Hockey Following here and even Red Wings fans are welcome!!

avs.jpg

I'll be around buddy;)
I'll contribute if I'm able to help.
Is there a fantasy league here?

Last edited:

fleachili

Seaman Apprentice

Great story. I don't know if I've done all of 'em together in one trip, but I've been there & done all of that - and usually with an audience.

Brother, if this had been my first outing ever, I would have given up boating for sure!! :p

LippCJ7

Vice Admiral

View attachment 108476

I'll be around buddy;)
I'll contribute if I'm able to help.
Is there a fantasy league here?

ROFLMAO!! No I don't think we have a fantasy league........Might be a good time to start one though! By the way I spent the last four years or so playing Defense in a beer league with the same line mate, Biggest Red Wing Fan in Colorado playing next to the biggest Colorado Avalanche fan, made for some great times with some even funnier Smack talking between team mates! Wish I was younger.....