Best grease

HAV2FISH

Chief Petty Officer
With all the talk about bearings and grease. My question is what is the best grease to use in your boat trailer

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Best grease

My question is what is the best grease to use in your boat trailer

Ayuh,.... Whatever Grease is in my Greasegun as I walk by a Fitting.... ;)
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V
V

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

any marine grease will do just fine. Walmart sells SuperTech marine grease, thats what i have been using for years. And dont use non-marine grease, or mix the 2 different kinds of grease together.

freddyray21

Commander

wal mart for me too, but I will say like Bondo says any grease is better than no grease at all.

cadunkle

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I use Lucas Red'n'Tacky. Before boating I always used it on my trucks, which every time out in the woods would see the spindles submerged. Always held up good even with some water intrusion. Figure it's good for trailers since it worked well with my trucks always getting dunked. If there's a better grease for trailer use I'll happily try anything more appropriate.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Grease is good. End of story !!!!

You need marine grease to hold up to the extreme moisture they are subjected to. make SURE it is marine grease. if not, you're kinda wasting your time in my opinion cause youre gonna have to re-do it soon after w marine grease.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

i just bought some tubes of quicksilver....its expensive stuff.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

yeah thats top o the line stuff from what i hear. walmart stuff is about $3 a tube i think. also, i tore my hubs apart and started fresh and packed bearings and everything, i bought 2 tubes just in case. i used just about every bit of 1 tube for both hubs on a single axle trailer, fyi.

freddyray21

Commander

I buy the walmart in the tub and pack by hand then use the walmart in the tube to keep bearing buddies full.

a70eliminator

Captain

I use whatever grease is in my greasegun, right now it's the red stuff, I don't even know if it's marine or not, my bearing seals are good so there's no water intrusion and also with bearing buddys the hubs get pumped full so there's no room for water even if an outer seals were bad, my wheels don't spend enough time underwater just a quick dunk and back out till next time, trailer spends about 2% of it's time in the water about 28% on the road and 70% just sitting idle. I've never had a bearing problem in the 25 years I've had this trailer.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

You need marine grease to hold up to the extreme moisture they are subjected to. make SURE it is marine grease. if not, you're kinda wasting your time in my opinion cause youre gonna have to re-do it soon after w marine grease.

I was more getting at the point that any grease is better than not to bother. Whatever is on hand is better than not greasing due to it not being the "right one" Sure there are a gazillion different greases and some are better at standing up to heat, pressure and water etc but I would rather put in the one at hand than run a dry or water intruded bearing.

rtpassini

Chief Petty Officer

oh man! im stupid. i bought the 3 3.5 oz quicksilver grease pack and a standard grease gun for 14 oz tubes. what a waste of money, and now i cant return it because the receipt is long gone.

anyone want to buy the grease? haha

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

oh man! im stupid. i bought the 3 3.5 oz quicksilver grease pack and a standard grease gun for 14 oz tubes. what a waste of money, and now i cant return it because the receipt is long gone.

Yard Sale !!! or a neighbor.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

exchange it. as long as u arent trying to get cash for them, they should exchange it straight up. im sure its not the first time it has happened.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I run the cheap Walmsrt Supertech. No issues.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Any is better than none is correct! Read the labels, a lot of grease is classified for use in a marine enviroment. Last time I bought 2 tubes of white lithium marine for a buck a piece on sale (14 oz) but when I ran out I bought the red and tacky, it says sutible for marine use on the back. Most grease is ok for wheel bearings on non brake axels but if you have a brake on the axel it needs to be able to handle the heat too.