I need some help with a 1987 50HP Force

chosos

Seaman
Re: I need some help with a 1987 50HP Force

okay - new points, new plugs, new fuel pump diaphram, and a different carb. The engine starts and runs.

It sounds like its backfiring a bit after running it ~10 minutes. how rough should these run? As per the Clymers, I set my pointgap to .015 or as close as I could get to it with my feeler gauge.

I also noticed that if I put it in neutral and rev it up the motor struggles to come back to normal operating RPM. so, I adjusted the linkage for the throttle a bit and it slightly fixed the issue.

john from md

Commander

One indicator as to whether your rigging is correct is how it idles. You need to set the idle while tethered to the dock in forward gear. Idle should be around 750-800 rpm. If the carb linkage is misajusted, and the idle speed screw is used to compensate, the engine will "float" at high rpm when the throttle is brought back to idle. This is because the midrange circuit is feeding fuel due to the throttle plate being open too much.

The engine is a two cylinder two stroke so don't expect a perfect idle. If your idle is too smooth, that means that the engine is running too lean. You don't want it to run lean at idle because that will cause it to be lean at WOT also. This is because the Force carb uses the idle circuit as part of the entire power range. A lean mixture WILL burn a hole in a piston on these engines.

After you set your points you must also check your timing. On battery/points ignition such as used in the 50 hp engines, you can change the timing by several degrees it the points are not spot on.

Regards,

John

chosos

Seaman

i've never set timing before on a small engine. hopefully its in the clymers and not terribly difficult.

yes, the motor was floating at high RPM and eventually came back down slowly. that explains it.

i also do not have an RPM gauge, so setting my idle to 800 RPM might be tough.

If the carb linkage is misajusted, and the idle speed screw is used to compensate, the engine will "float" at high rpm when the throttle is brought back to idle. This is because the midrange circuit is feeding fuel due to the throttle plate being open too much.
Is this the screw in the carb? I should start that at 1.25-1.5 turns right? What am I looking for when setting this?

john from md

Commander

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sunt...Z310231557437QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

This is a link to a suntune tach and dwell, the same as I use. If the link fails, search ebay for suntune inductive tach and you will find it.

Setting the timing is too long for me to type. You need to reference chap 5 of the Clymer Force Outboard Shop Manual.

The screw that you set to 1 to 11/4 turns out is the idle mixture screw. The idle speed screw is on the carb linkage.

John

marcus1228

Recruit

The starter engages, and the flywheel spins, but no boom.

From what I can tell, I have spark, but I'm not getting any fuel beyond the carb. I picked up fresh fuel, mixed 50:1, and picked up some new plugs.

If I try and start it, I get the starter spinning the flywheel and then when it fails to start and the choke opens again, fuel comes out of the front of the carb. I checked the plugs and there isn't even any fuel on them... They are still as dry as they were out of the package.

On the carb itself, I see WE13 6/86 and 628061. I also tried looking up a rebuild kit, but haven't had much luck. Is there a PDF of this carb available anywhere or can someone give me a hand with a few Q's?

I took the carb apart, and cleaned it out. There is a brass sleeve over one of the needles that has 4 holes in it. Is that supposed to sit over top that needle and float freely? or does that get locked in place with the set scew?

How many turns are the adjustments supposed to have? Also, the spring for the float, how is that supposed to sit? Which way is it supposed to apply pressure on the float? That spring was a PAIN and I want to make sure I got it back in the correct way.

It's the float it has a crack in it and the floats not coming back up causing it to flood out (just took my off and found it)