I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
If it's anything like our 76' 85 hp, (with the pump/ reservoir under the splash well) just unscrew them from the pump.

Dan

"Working now to figure out how to get the PTT hoses off."

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
If it's anything like our 76' 85 hp, (with the pump/ reservoir under the splash well) just unscrew them from the pump.

Dan

"Working now to figure out how to get the PTT hoses off."

Don't try to take the lines off without using the proper good quality tools ie: line wrenches! Many fittings have been rounded off by guys using Chinese end wrenches on those type lines.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Don't try to take the lines off without using the proper good quality tools ie: line wrenches! Many fittings have been rounded off by guys using Chinese end wrenches on those type lines.
Thanks for that heads up! I don't have any line wrenches. I'll check with my buddies to see if they have some.

DLNorth

Chief Petty Officer
Ageed, these are a must, (preferably Snap-On's)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Texted one of my buddies and he has some I can use. Dunno what brand but he generally has high quality stuff because he uses his tools every day.

Will get with him tomorrow to see if his wrenches are the right size for the Mercury.

Watermann

Should either be 3/8" or 7/16ths, you can use your end wrenches to gauge the size of them and let him know which it needs.

Last edited by a moderator:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Be sure to video record the chainsaw removal of the nasty glasser splashwell. :D

Cables are loose! Motor is ready to be pulled! :D

Still have to cut the console loose so that I can get the steering cable out. And may be cutting more up by the bow where the front tilt switch is located so that I can get the wiring out.

Lovin' me some sawzall! :lol:

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
BWR, take any brand of liquid soap, and apply it like suntan lotion to any skin that might be exposed to the fiberglass dust when cutting glass. Face, ears, neck, hands, forearms......

It relieves nearly all of the glass itch when you take a shower.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
BWR, take any brand of liquid soap, and apply it like suntan lotion to any skin that might be exposed to the fiberglass dust when cutting glass. Face, ears, neck, hands, forearms......

It relieves nearly all of the glass itch when you take a shower.
Thanks for the tip! I'll try to remember that when I wail on that thing again. :D

BTW - I did remember to wear a filter mask. :cool:

Decker83

Commander
If you plan on doing any more cutting, you need a good respirator.. You don't want that nasty glass going in your lungs..
Also cover your self up as much as possible. Long sleeve shirts and gloves..
If you take a look at my deck boat project, you'll see that I know what I'm talking about..:joyous:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
If you plan on doing any more cutting, you need a good respirator.. You don't want that nasty glass going in your lungs..
Also cover your self up as much as possible. Long sleeve shirts and gloves..
If you take a look at my deck boat project, you'll see that I know what I'm talking about..:joyous:
This is the mask I'm currently using. Good enough?

And I'll wear the long sleeve shirt and gloves next time. Will be a few days from now and the weather will be much cooler then too. :thumb:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
With friends like these... you should just adopt them if you can! :lol:

My young neighbor buddy came over this evening to check my progress. I took him out to the garage to show off my work. He took a look at the disconnected controls and the cut job on the donor boat and just nodded his head.

Then I told him my plan to finish cutting out the bow wires this coming weekend, buy some lifting straps and use my brand new chain hoist to pull the motor off the boat under the big oak tree out back, then put it into my garden cart for storage. He saw some of the scrap square tubing leftover from the building construction and said he could make me a motor stand. Uhhh... okay.

So he picked up some of the steel and left. I also left with my wife to go pick up the boy from school and we then went to get some fast food. Got home less than an hour after we left.

In the garage when we returned was the new motor stand with the motor already dismounted from the boat and resting nicely on the stand! :eek: And he made the stand wide enough to hold two motors! He knew I would be needing that once I get the twin to the 70HP Merc I have for the Chieftain.

With friends like these... life is great! :thumb:

motorstand.jpg

Watermann

Yeah that's a nice solid steel stand. Be sure to ask him to put some casters on it once the concrete floor is down. :thumb:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Made some awesome progress lately!

Phase 1b completed. :) (Finally!) :lol:

Phase 2 underway!