I have returned... with a Starcraft this time!

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Boo yah! It's amazing what a beat up old man and a strong 10 y.o. boy can do. This afternoon we manhandled that glasser back into the corner of the garage where it belongs!

Then the boy expertly guided me as I pulled the truck and KF into the building.

Now the glasser is in place so that I can start pulling that 50HP gem off the stern!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Amazing how much more fun it can be working inside, just be sure to not let the garage clogging evil "tote" start piling up in there or you'll regret it! :lol:

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Plan on getting one of those myself one day. Question though, shouldnt the slab have gone down first? Ive also been looking into other flooring that will be less$$$$. Maybe gravel or i saw something about crushed lime rock? It wont be for a while though. Need 2 or 3 trees cut out id hoped the hurricane woulda helped with as long as they didnt land on the house.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Amazing how much more fun it can be working inside, just be sure to not let the garage clogging evil "tote" start piling up in there or you'll regret it! :lol:
Haha! Yeah, the boy and I have decided to keep it locked and only and he and I will have a key! :lol:

Plan on getting one of those myself one day. Question though, shouldnt the slab have gone down first? Ive also been looking into other flooring that will be less$$$$. Maybe gravel or i saw something about crushed lime rock? It wont be for a while though. Need 2 or 3 trees cut out id hoped the hurricane woulda helped with as long as they didnt land on the house.
If I'd used concrete as the foundation, then yes it would have to go first. But it would be a lot more expensive, as in more than 2X as much. So I went with ground anchors to secure the building and the concrete floor will be pumped in later. I wanted the solid concrete instead of gravel. It'll be much easier pushing the boats around on the concrete too.

And yeah... for the cost of the building I could have easily finished both boats! :eek: Or purchased a nicely refurbished one. Or made a substantial down payment on a new one. And that doesn't even include the additional cost of the future concrete!

But this building is so much more than just a place to work on boats. Well worth it, every penny. :)

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Haha! Yeah, the boy and I have decided to keep it locked and only and he and I will have a key! :lol:

If I'd used concrete as the foundation, then yes it would have to go first. But it would be a lot more expensive, as in more than 2X as much. So I went with ground anchors to secure the building and the concrete floor will be pumped in later. I wanted the solid concrete instead of gravel. It'll be much easier pushing the boats around on the concrete too.

And yeah... for the cost of the building I could have easily finished both boats! :eek: Or purchased a nicely refurbished one. Or made a substantial down payment on a new one. And that doesn't even include the additional cost of the future concrete!

But this building is so much more than just a place to work on boats. Well worth it, every penny. :)

Totally agree on the pprice of garage. Vs buying a water ready boat. I will do the same! Ill look into pouring after vs before on the concrete also. Thanks for the tip.

Decker83

Commander
Great looking building.. That will make it so much nicer for you and the family.. Are you planning to run power to the building?
Would love to have one in my yard..

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Great looking building.. That will make it so much nicer for you and the family.. Are you planning to run power to the building?
Would love to have one in my yard..
Yep, electric is in the future!

Among other things...

Many things remain to be done, such as:

Install a workbench.
Install shelving and storage units.
Install sod around the building to protect the dirt from erosion.
Install a concrete floor.
Install electricity throughout the building.
Install overhead lighting.
Install ceiling fans (3 or 4.)
Install window air conditioners. (2)
Install spray-in foam insulation. (My research indicates this is best for steel buildings.)

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
One thing about the new building; it's rated to handle 150MPH winds. So if a big hurricane were to actually hit nearby, the boats (and maybe a car) will be protected inside. Unless the storm picks up a neighbors truck and slams it into the building, then all bets are off! :lol:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
...I'll look into pouring after vs before on the concrete also. Thanks for the tip.
Just be sure to check the code requirements in your area. I'm zoned Agricultural so pouring the floor after the building was completed was no problem. Your area may be different.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Well guys, I'm trying to get the 50HP Mercury off the donor boat. Got all the bolts out, the steering cable loose, the motor has been pushed to port as far as I can personally make it move and the battery cables have been pulled out of the bilge area and flopped over the top of the boat.

But I can't figure out how to disconnect the shifter/throttle controls on the engine. I started a thread about it in the Mercury outboards forum but no replies yet.

Any clues?

cables2.jpg

cables8.jpg

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I think we need a pic of the inside of the cowl and the side of the engine where the cables go in. from your pic I would say they are attached on the inside. Does the side piece that looks different in color in the first pick come off? If you can't see the cable connections from the top looking into the engine I would look at removing that side piece on the right of pic one and I would bet they are connected inside there. sorry, I am an evinrude guy but if you can't see connections from the inside, I'd take off the side cover if you can.

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I think we need a pic of the inside of the cowl and the side of the engine where the cables go in. from your pic I would say they are attached on the inside. Does the side piece that looks different in color in the first pick come off? If you can't see the cable connections from the top looking into the engine I would look at removing that side piece on the right of pic one and I would bet they are connected inside there. sorry, I am an evinrude guy but if you can't see connections from the inside, I'd take off the side cover if you can.
That view in the first pic is of the lower part of the main cowl and is not removable. The cables go through a large rubber grommet there. Yes, the cables are connected inside.

More pix.

cables1b.jpg

cables3.jpg

cables4.jpg

cables5.jpg

cables6.jpg

Attachments

• cables1b.jpg
    cables1b.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 2

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Pull the grommet. I'm sorry but I'm having a hard time understanding what is what from the pics. the third one down looks like the top cable is attached with a ball shaped connector which you might be able to just pull up and out of the socket. once the grommet is out of the way, you will probably be able to see he connection better. with the grommet out of the way, you will be able to push the cable out of the socket too. funny, I edited my first post because I wrote that you should take out the grommet but after looking at he first pic, it looked like it was a piece of the engine. the color was the same. I would remove the grommet and you should be able to see exactly how they are attached from the front of the engine. once again, I'm sorry but I am an evinrude guy and have never played with a merc. if they are anything like omc they should be easy to remove. I could disconnect my cables without any tools on my 78 engine.

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
I'll try to get some better pix tomorrow. I too expected to be able to pop the cables easily.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
More pix this morning.

cables01.jpg

cables02.jpg

cables03.jpg

cables04.jpg

The cables come through the grommet, then through these connectors. I can manipulate the levers and compress the springs and the cables will be released from the connectors at this point. But not fully released from the rest.
cables05.jpg

Maybe if I unscrew that coupler at the back right side of the pic, the shift cable will release?
cables06.jpg

I'm still not sure how to release the throttle control. :confused: :noidea:
cables07.jpg

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sorry bwr, I simply don't know enough about mercs to honestly answer. it sure looks like a tough area to photograph. I'll take a look on my laptop later to see if a bigger picture might help me. it looks like that screw has been turned a time or two but that doesn't mean it is the right way to remove he cable. I hope a mercury person comes along soon. I would pull the cable to WOT and maybe you will get a better view of the connection. try forward and reverse on the shifter as well. it seems the throttle control is buried underneath everything right now. WOT might pull it out into the open and make it obvious once you can see it. sorry, that's all I got

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Be sure to video record the chainsaw removal of the nasty glasser splashwell. :D