I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric.

smasterson2

Seaman
I am very impressed with your conversion, especially for someone working out of his garage. The foresight to take on this project would be daunting to the most prolific handyman. I must ask and I apologize if I missed it. What if I may ask, was your total cost for conversion? I understand you still have a paper weight on a crate that you can sell to someone looking for a brand spanking new marine engine minus the outdrive I assume. Have you calculated your "re-charge" costs through your electrical provider long term? The price of Ontario Hydro here has and continues to sky rocket. I can't seem to find a Hydro bill to give the exact cents per KWH but it is ridiculously high, I'm guessing 25 to 30 cents per KWH all in. You are going to have many Solar panels or a Wind Turbine to off set electrical costs to charge your car and boat. That is if thNow you must know I am speaking in layman's here for self sufficient solar or wind power for a residential home because my electrical expertise ends at changing AA and AAA batteries. Out here rurally a roof full of solar panels at $20,000.00 on a average residential home or a small wind turbine at $75,000.00 if there is the space and it takes years to offset the initial install, solar arrays and wind turbine plus maintenance costs. I have looked at going off grid and it wasn't cost effective for us as we have cheaper Natural Gas available and only 2 of us in a small cottage.
Thank you very much for the kind words. I had a lot of fun doing it. It took 3 months part-time. I am a full time Insurance Agent. The total cost for the conversion was $20,000. If you to budget it, use $25,000. You will need to get some fabricating done as well as possibly get the assistance of a marine mechanic or even an electrician depending on abilities. The "re-charge", if I was paying for the electric, would be about $3.00 per charge. If you are interested in taking on a conversion of your own, feel free to email me at smasterson2@gmail.com

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I bought this thing sooooo cheap that I can pull just the motor and controller out of it, sell it as used and get my money back. Then I can sell the batteries and call the junk yard and that money is all gravy. The guy I bought it from bought out the rest of the inventory and has enough parts for 2,000 cars. I have been driving this car every day for more than two years and have not had a single problem. Even if the guy decides to get out of the parts business, I already sourced places for the parts from others.
I saw them at the LA auto show and kinda forgot all about them. I have never seen one on the road here in CA which is kinda surprising.

jkust

Rear Admiral
Interesting, never heard of a Coda before I read your article that mentioned you drove one. I can't even imagine owning an electric car.

smasterson2

Seaman
Here is my scenario as to why I own an electric car. I use it as my daily driver. I drive around 20 miles a day. I have a charger installed at my home. I usually charge it twice a week. It is the perfect daily driver for anyone who owns a home, has a second vehicle for hauling or long trips and drives less than 50 miles a day. There is next to no maintenance with respect to the powertrain. State inspections are safety checks only and you always pass. The vehicle has plenty of power. I highly recommend one to anyone with a similar situation to mine.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The guy that sits next to me has a similar scenario and has a Leaf. You can charge a car at my work for free.

Wouldn't work for me unless it was something like a Volt. I could drive from home to work just using electric but if I ever made a trip of some kind, I would have the gas engine.

Last edited:

smasterson2

Seaman
The guy that sits next to me has a similar scenario and has a Leaf. You can charge a car at my work for free.

Wouldn't work for me unless it was something like a Volt. I could drive from home to work just using electric but if I ever made a trip of some kind, I would have the gas engine.

Heard a lot of good things about the Volt. I don't think you could go wrong.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I saw a Volt for the first time just today, The owner came out when I was looking at it. I couldn't tell when she started it. Our Ontario Gov. is spending something like 25 million dollars installing charge stations across the province for cars that don't exist yet.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Cool. Wouldn't work for me with a typical 60 mile cruise from boat landing to anchor spot..... But cool

jkust

Rear Admiral
If someone parked one in my driveway and said take it, it's yours....I wouldn't turn it down. The challenge for us suburbanites is the drive distance into the office and here in MN, the ultra cold weather would give me serious range anxiety unless I had a Tesla. My buddy with a C-Max hypermiles in the winter with a 12 mile range, bundles up at minus 20 without heat, my neighbor with a Tesla has no issues. If I had a nice 10 car garage where space wasn't an issue, i would likely have a lot more cars for different days. I've only heard good things about the Volt.

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
We've had both the Volt and Nissan Leaf in our corporate fleet available to be used around town as needed. Very impressive cars I would consider as a family grocery getter. At the moment though I can buy three good used Mazda 3s for the price of a new version of either so the ROI just isn't there yet for sure. Doesn't mean I don't want one though!

BTW just an incredible job on that boat conversion. So professional and that view under the "hood" is just delicious with those red accents.

Any idea what your run time and range at a nice leisurely trolling speed would be?

Also, not sure how much you documented this project but please consider starting a thread over in the Restoration and Build section and give us all the juicy details.

Congrats on a job very very well done.

smasterson2

Seaman
We've had both the Volt and Nissan Leaf in our corporate fleet available to be used around town as needed. Very impressive cars I would consider as a family grocery getter. At the moment though I can buy three good used Mazda 3s for the price of a new version of either so the ROI just isn't there yet for sure. Doesn't mean I don't want one though!

BTW just an incredible job on that boat conversion. So professional and that view under the "hood" is just delicious with those red accents.

Any idea what your run time and range at a nice leisurely trolling speed would be?

Also, not sure how much you documented this project but please consider starting a thread over in the Restoration and Build section and give us all the juicy details.

Thank you. 3 to 4 mph, 3 to 4 hours. Much more efficient between 25 to 30 mph. 1 hour at that speed. Good advice to start a thread in Restoration and Build. I will do that shortly and include things like details on components for the build and links.

smasterson2

Seaman

I started a new thread as you suggested. Here it is:

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...8-2016-bayliner-175-converted-to-all-electric