I finished converting my 2016 Bayliner 175 Bowrider to All Electric.

smasterson2

Seaman
Nice setup. But it isn't maintenance free. I am sure everything is nice now, but if or when something does happens, and we all know that it will, be it a controller, batteries or even wiring or the motor itself, it is going to cost through the...well...you know what. And since it is being charged via an outlet, it does cost something to run. However, sounds nice and seem to be great to go like that. I am sure the initial cost was quite expensive. I say enjoy it while everything is working great. :thumb: :thumb:

Thanks. With respect to maintenance, only time will tell. I do remember my days running a printing company for over 20 years. We had a number of printing presses of various ages and one thing that stood out about their maintenance, or lack there of, was the electric motors that ran them. They were powered by 3 phase AC motors and were quite reliable. The motor used in this build is a 3 Phase AC motor that is oil cooled and completely encased. The original outdrive will still require maintenance. Electronics can be a problem sometimes, but I did not go bargain brand on the components. The major components are made in the UK and the US. Call me old fashioned, but I still thing that means something. Here are links to the major components. You may find it interesting. http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...ucts_id=329&osCsid=39bro3drv8hv09mmciuhbgh002
http://curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Datasheets.downloaddatasheet&prodid=612
http://hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electric-motors-marine-use-oil-cooled-dual-ac34-ac35.htm

smasterson2

Seaman
What is the top speed with that setup? Stock 3.0L 175 goes around 48MPH?

I wish I could answer that. My estimate is around 52mph. I have exceeded 40mph easily, but the lake is always choppy with 2 foot or more swells and I am not the most experienced boater, (actually, I kinda suck at it. Still love it though.) Late in the year the lake calms down and that would be a good time to try. I would try it at night, but the marina I have it stored at closes at 6 pm. Tell you what, when I make that trip later this year, I'll get back to you. The electric motor has a peak rating of 147hp at 96v. I'm running at 114v. The 3.0L is rated at 135hp. Thanks for the questions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks. With respect to maintenance, only time will tell. I do remember my days running a printing company for over 20 years. We had a number of printing presses of various ages and one thing that stood out about their maintenance, or lack there of, was the electric motors that ran them. They were powered by 3 phase AC motors and were quite reliable. The motor used in this build is a 3 Phase AC motor that is oil cooled and completely encased. The original outdrive will still require maintenance. Electronics can be a problem sometimes, but I did not go bargain brand on the components. The major components are made in the UK and the US. Call me old fashioned, but I still thing that means something. Here are links to the major components. You may find it interesting. http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produ...ucts_id=329&osCsid=39bro3drv8hv09mmciuhbgh002
http://curtisinstruments.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=Datasheets.downloaddatasheet&prodid=612
http://hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electric-motors-marine-use-oil-cooled-dual-ac34-ac35.htm

smasterson2, Please don't take me wrong, I like what you've built. All I am saying is I've worked in electronics for well over 40 years and I know for fact, the best of the best components do fail. And they fail without notice too. Early years I repaired aircraft electronics with the absolute best components money could buy. But every component does have a MTBF rate. That stands for "Mean Time Between Failure". And if it wasn't for that fact, I wouldn't have had a job. So everything will fail. The motor is probably the longest MTBF item on the boat. High power Controller Circuits will fry as will batteries. Be very carful using Lithium type batteries because the can and have gone into total avalanche ballistic mode and it isn't pretty.

But seriously, I do like what you posted. But I was only mentioning that it isn't maintenance free. There is a lot to keep watch on. :thumb:

smasterson2

Seaman
I love the quiet operation - very cool! No maintenance? That's incredible

How long will those batteries last? How much to replace them, and what is the fate of the used-up batteries?

Very impressive setup, looks professional, great job!

Thank you very much! The outdrive still requires maintenance. The batteries are 57v, 57ah modules made by Tesla for the Smart Car. I have 10 of them. 5 in parallel and 2 in series. The batteries will last at least 2,500 charges if not completely depleted. (Which you should never do for a number of common sense reasons.) Seeing as I am 54 years old and go out maybe twice a week, they will most likely out live me. (Or at least my physical ability to go out on the water.) When there used up, they go to a recycler.

smasterson2

Seaman
Sure but given you will never have the weight of the gas, I'd say you are close to break even. Pretty amazing actually. Boating Magazine featured a prototype electric boat similar to this several years back before you even heard about Tesla cars like we do today. Given you are a guy working out of his garage for his own personal use, I'd call this quite an accomplishment actually. As for the Captains Call comment, form a company put this in the works and watch the offers to buy your company roll in either to stop you or something else.

Good point about the gas! Thanks again for the kind words.

smasterson2

Seaman
smasterson2, Please don't take me wrong, I like what you've built. All I am saying is I've worked in electronics for well over 40 years and I know for fact, the best of the best components do fail. And they fail without notice too. Early years I repaired aircraft electronics with the absolute best components money could buy. But every component does have a MTBF rate. That stands for "Mean Time Between Failure". And if it wasn't for that fact, I wouldn't have had a job. So everything will fail. The motor is probably the longest MTBF item on the boat. High power Controller Circuits will fry as will batteries. Be very carful using Lithium type batteries because the can and have gone into total avalanche ballistic mode and it isn't pretty.

But seriously, I do like what you posted. But I was only mentioning that it isn't maintenance free. There is a lot to keep watch on. :thumb:

I took no offense. You are absolutely right. When electronics fail, and they do fail, you're dead in the water. (That's why I have a BoatUS membership.) You are also right about lithium batteries. The best rule of thumb, of course, is to not abuse them by pushing them too hard, over-deplete them, or over charge them. I have taken the precautions necessary to protect my investment. All points well taken and thank you again.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Enjoy the results of your work, but I think as a long term 'solution' electric outboards and I/Os have a long way to go at a 12hr to 1 hr, charge to runtime ratio.

But you did nice work.

smasterson2

Seaman
Enjoy the results of your work, but I think as a long term 'solution' electric outboards and I/Os have a long way to go at a 12hr to 1 hr, charge to runtime ratio.

But you did nice work.

I agree about the run time. For myself, it's fine, because I just bop around the lake to the beach and restaurant's, get a little sun, have a drink, something to eat, look at other boats and stuff like that. I sure wish someone could develop a battery that has the same energy density as petrol. That would really be a game changer. Thanks for the comments.

R055

Chief Petty Officer
That's pretty cool, I'd like to know how long you can tube/wakeboard on it before the battery gets low.

Also do the batteries have to be stored at room temperature in the winter? My phone batteries always take a crap after most winters. Edit:auctally teslas don't have problems with winter so these shouldn't either.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Also do the batteries have to be stored at room temperature in the winter?
You just can't charge them when its freezing. In fact, Tesla disables their regenerative braking when it is below freezing.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
I think this is a cool project. I'm an old school hot rod guy but I can see the importance of this.
Lots of small lakes have banned the 2 stroke, and now the gas engines.
I would be awesome to go out on one of those lakes in an electric boat.
And on smaller lakes, range isn't a big concern. I wouldn't worry about failure any more than riding around in my old floating junk.

airshot

Rear Admiral
WOW that is one cool project! As an aluminum hull guy, I can only imagine how much more efficient that set up might be in an aluminum hulled boat......

blamtro

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think you may be lighter considering the weight of a full gas tank.

They are 57v, 57ah modules made by Tesla for the Smart Car. I have 10 of them. 5 in parallel and 2 in series. The batteries will last at least 2,500 charges if not completely depleted. (Which you should never do for a number of common sense reasons.) Seeing as I am 54 years old and go out maybe twice a week, they will most likely out live me. (Or at least my physical ability to go out on the water.) The modules weigh 42 pounds each for a total of 420 pounds. The motor and controllers weigh 225 pounds. The 3.0L weighs 515 pounds. I pulled the gas tank and that was 25 pounds. All told, the conversion put me 105 pounds over. (I guess that's one less really skinny rider that can go along.) Thanks for the questions.

smasterson2

Seaman
That's pretty cool, I'd like to know how long you can tube/wakeboard on it before the battery gets low.

Also do the batteries have to be stored at room temperature in the winter? My phone batteries always take a crap after most winters. Edit:auctally teslas don't have problems with winter so these shouldn't either.

Thanks! I only pulled a tube a couple of times and no wake board. I did not notice a severe drop in performance, but to be honest, I wasn't setting benchmarks either. Electric motors have a linear torque curve and the motor I put in has 12 more hp than the 3.0L I pulled out. The batteries performance are not significantly effected until the temperature drops below 14 degrees Fahrenheit. As far as self discharge from storage, expect 1.5 to 2 percent per month.

smasterson2

Seaman
I think this is a cool project. I'm an old school hot rod guy but I can see the importance of this.
Lots of small lakes have banned the 2 stroke, and now the gas engines.
I would be awesome to go out on one of those lakes in an electric boat.
And on smaller lakes, range isn't a big concern. I wouldn't worry about failure any more than riding around in my old floating junk.

Thank you! You're right. Many smaller lakes are banning 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines. I think the real reason is that some people like to go romp around in larger, more powerful boats, that really tear up the lake and screw up fishing. You have a pretty open mind for an old school guy and that's cool. I like your view. Thanks for the comment.

smasterson2

Seaman
WOW that is one cool project! As an aluminum hull guy, I can only imagine how much more efficient that set up might be in an aluminum hulled boat......

Thank you. You got me curious. What about an aluminum hull would be more efficient? Sounds interesting.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander
Thank you. You got me curious. What about an aluminum hull would be more efficient? Sounds interesting.

As a tin boat owner its all about weight.
An aluminum hull weighs far less than any fiberglass hull of comparable size.
My 23 foot Starcraft Islander was under 2000lbs. I would expect a glass boat to weigh nearly double that.

smasterson2

Seaman
As a tin boat owner its all about weight.
An aluminum hull weighs far less than any fiberglass hull of comparable size.
My 23 foot Starcraft Islander was under 2000lbs. I would expect a glass boat to weigh nearly double that.
Wow! I knew they were lighter but that's a huge difference. Do they have similar load capacities?