How Much An Hour?

m&m252

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just wondering how much does a certified mechanic in your area charge per hour.I walked in to parts/repair shop and noticed a sign $120.00 an hour. I boat in the keys .Whats their hourly rate in your area?

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: How Much An Hour?

I am in Atlanta Ga and on my vans,work vans,boats,jet flea,lawn mowers, local mechanic all different people and none have an hourly rate they fix and tell us how much we owe. Got to love the small business man :) oh wait I am on too:D and I don't charge by the hour:D

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer

99hr in my neck of the woods in silver spring md.

CATransplant

Admiral

I don't mind paying $100/hr. for auto or boat repair, but only if the people working on the stuff know what they're doing and do things in an efficient way.

In the automotive field, the flat rate manuals equalize the experienced and unexperienced mechanics. I don't know if that applies in the marine field. Is there a flat rate manual for, say, outboards? I/O? If not, then I have questions for the shop before I commit to their hourly rate.

dodgeramsst2003

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Around here its generally 60-70 an hour if you find the right places. There are places that charge more. I don't pay to have anything done unless it requires equipment that I don't have, or have a friend that does. About the only thing I've paid for recently is to have a couple of bearings pressed off and on since I don't have access to a press. I live just south of detroit.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

$80 is average. in the keys you are in a captured market. i had a bilge pump go out 2 years ago, we stay on Little Torch for August. every shop wanted 3 times what i pay here. i had 2 pumps in the shed, just ended up doing with out the pump, bucket was cheap.

jonesg

Admiral

Theres usually a book rate for auto shops,
I know a top tech who can do a rear main oil seal in 45 minutes (Pull tranny and swap out seal, button it back up again),
but the book rate is closer to 6 hrs and thats what you pay.

Check craigslist for marine techs doing side work, they charge a lot less than the shop rate.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

$60/hour here in Southern Indiana.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Central PA they ask for 75-90 an hour.

Yep. Just bought a prop at Conestoga Marine in Lancaster, PA and noticed a sign that said the shop rate was $80/hour. However I take my boat to a guy located in the middle of nowhere that has no problem working on older stuff and he's somewhere like $60 an hour.

arks

Lieutenant Commander

The shop I use charges $75/ hour, but there's an "old salt" liveaboard at my marina that can be hired for only $35/ hour. I haven't used him yet but some of my slipmates have- and they tell me he's very good at troubleshooting.