not pumping

catchingmore

Seaman Apprentice
i have a 66 top end and a 70 lower i had to switch from eletric to manual shift we all no why so i did it all and now she is not pumping i am wondering it the blocks are different for those yrs please help !!!

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: not pumping

Welcome CM!<br /><br />Could you post the hp's we are looking at here?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Your old 66' used two water tubes from the pump to the block (actually one tube was a recirc tube). The 70' gearcase impeller housing only has one. What did you do with the left over tube?

catchingmore

Seaman Apprentice

ran it to the bottom of the lower unit i was thinking of pluging it off would that work

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

I've have never tried this type of setup before CM so I don't know if shorting the recirc line to anywhere but the pump is going to effect the temp control of the engine. Is the engine overheating when you run it and are you sure you got the tube (the one that supplies water to the block) in the pump housing and not the recirc line? Maybe Dhadley or Rick will be about and give us both a hand here.... :)

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

I'm not totally sure, but I would think you would have to plug the recirc. in order to build up pressure. And as OBJ said, makes sure you have the tube in the correct hole....Where's Paul M. when you need him......

catchingmore

Seaman Apprentice

tubes in the correct holes but i found out that it has to have the inlet screen on the side not the bottom but the help will still be app. to make sure i am right

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

As long as the pump is below the water level, it will pump. Once under way, the water is forced up into the pump through the intake holes on the side of the gear case.<br /><br />The recirc tube was a part of the 66's cooling system. Water would recirc back to the pump until the t-stat would open and the recirc vlv (think that's what it's called) would close. Might be Rick is correct about plugging it off....but then I'm just speculating.

catchingmore

Seaman Apprentice

tryed that it will mot pump water with the 7 in line from the bottom of the water pump when i remove the line it pumps fine checked all the lines they are clean and in great shape i have tryed everything so that is why i think that the lower unit has to have the two lines going up insted of the one

catchingmore

Seaman Apprentice

tryed that it will mot pump water with the 7 in line from the bottom of the water pump when i remove the line it pumps fine checked all the lines they are clean and in great shape i have tryed everything so that is why i think that the lower unit has to have the two lines going up insted of the one