How fast will it go

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,

I am in love with my new to me 1974 9.9 Evinrude,much better at trolling than my old '79 Merc 7.5.
Any ideas on how fast this thing will go (top speed) with my 215lb butt in my 12 foot aluminum?

samo_ott

Vice Admiral
Re: How fast will it go

Faster than my 240# butt in a 12' tinny!

CATransplant

Admiral

Hi all,

I am in love with my new to me 1974 9.9 Evinrude,much better at trolling than my old '79 Merc 7.5.
Any ideas on how fast this thing will go (top speed) with my 215lb butt in my 12 foot aluminum?

15-18 mph, depending on how the boat is set up, weight-wise. If you move the fuel tank and battery forward in the boat, you'll improve your speed. So will balancing the weight from side to side in the boat.

Trim on the engine will also change performance. Experiment with the tilt settings to find the best compromise for your goals.

It won't be a speed demon, but it'll get you from one fishing spot to the next in good time.

Hint: Try trolling from fishing spot to fishing spot. I've found new honey holes that way that nobody else knows about. Just sayin...

kbait

Commander

'74-'76 9.9/15hp's are identical except for carb bore diameter at the powerhead. Find a 15hp carb, and you'll scoot!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i hate these questions. there are too many "depends on".

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanx all for your replies I know it was a bit of a question with so many variables. It is for insurance purposes as the require an estimated top speed, anything faster than 25MPH (40Km/H). then the insurance bracket jumps up.

It will primarily be used for trolling but still need to get to somewhere quickly like render assistance,get out of a storm etc etc.

The link that was posted is very helpful,it now is book marked.

smoktire

Cadet

With my 85lbs ultra thin 12' with johnson 1989 9.9
9.5inch 10 pitch prop
200lbs butt
the gps say 42 km/h

Rick.

Captain

smoktire: What kind of GPS do you use that says KPH? Just kidding but that stuff is for the most part meaningless on this forum. Just say 24 mph and we will all understand. I would be interested to know, what is the slowest trolling seed you can maintain with that prop?

Bubbles Up: For insurance purposes, guesstimate low. LOL Rick.

wbeaton

Commander

I run my kickers on a 1979 12.3' deep and wide Springbok aluminium utility boat max rated for 12.5 hp. I get 31 kph / 19.3 mph with a 1985 Johnson 9.9 hp with a full gas tank and me +200 lbs.

Bubbles Up

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks to those that replied ,those are some good numbers to work with. Smoktire it sounds like you and I are running similar boats but my motor is a few years older!

'67 Springbok W/ '74 Evinrude 9.9

Snobike Mike

Petty Officer 1st Class

smoktire: What kind of GPS do you use that says KPH? Just kidding but that stuff is for the most part meaningless on this forum. Just say 24 mph and we will all understand. I would be interested to know, what is the slowest trolling seed you can maintain with that prop?

42 kph is 26 mph. Seems pretty fast for a 9.9 even with a 10 pitch prop.

Rick.

Captain

I'm starting to think I need to loose some weight! I can't get that speed out of mine. Rick.

wbeaton

Commander

I'm starting to think I need to loose some weight! I can't get that speed out of mine. Rick.

Its not your weight, Rick. 26 mph is super fast for a 9.9 hp. They weren't rated to run that fast with the stock prop.

mpsyamaha

Petty Officer 1st Class

yeah that really is moving for a little 9.9...

smoktire

Cadet

Garmin...lol if i go upstream of the ottawa river at foward idle curent push me backward.

My rocket boat is a 1962 Harbercraft with a re inforced transom !!

The engine runs at 6200 rpm Fluke tested