stumped-lots of water in oil

Re: stumped-lots of water in oil

can this block pressure test be done with everything apart or does it need to be put back together to do it. I'm guessing that it does based on previous posts. It sounds like my mech should have done it early on. My question though is, not that it's apart and the block is partly exposed, can it still be done at this point?

eriediver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

can this block pressure test be done with everything apart or does it need to be put back together to do it. I'm guessing that it does based on previous posts. It sounds like my mech should have done it early on. My question though is, not that it's apart and the block is partly exposed, can it still be done at this point?

A machine shop can pressure test the block, but it's gotta be out of the boat. The tools to pressure test the cooling system require an intact & sealed engine.
so your options are toss it back together & pressure test or pull the block.

KaGee

Admiral

A machine shop can magnaflux the heads and the block (after it's stripped down) to check for cracks. Based on what you have described, that much water in your oil came from an internal crack in your block, intake or one of the heads IMO.

A block pressure test is done, engine intact. Sorry to say, the shop should have done that prior to dis-assembly. So now, you are needing to decide what to do. I don't quite know how to advise you at the moment. :(

have any idea what a pressure test to check a block would run? Would it tell me if I have an internal crack in the block?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

More than likely he will be looking at a new long block. This plus $1200 in half *****ed troubleguessing is going to be expensive.

seven up

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, 1200 in the hole and he's still looking. You gotta tell us where this one is located.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey, 1200 in the hole and he's still looking. You gotta tell us where this one is located.

Really! Send me a pile of cash and I'll make a bunch of guesses. For just a little more money, you could have bought a rebuilt long block.

slia67

Petty Officer 1st Class

He's a little stumped. He said the crankcase took in about a gallon of water and that he's never seen a boat ingest that much water.

HELP!!!!

Really basic question. Did your mechanic change the oil before taking the boat out for a test run?

If not, it's hard to tell how much water was there in the oil before his test run, and how much he picked up during his test run.

b0mbtrack

Petty Officer 1st Class

what happened to the flappers, were they burnt away? if so the engine must have overheated real bad.
you can pressure check the block with the engine out of the boat but the heads need to be on and the engine needs to be at normal temperature, it makes a big difference. If you run the engine while it isn't in the boat and water still gets in you know the problem has nothing to do with flappers or riser height, although i don't think either of those have anything to do with this.

Really basic question. Did your mechanic change the oil before taking the boat out for a test run?

If not, it's hard to tell how much water was there in the oil before his test run, and how much he picked up during his test run.

I was wondering the same thing. He did not change the oil until after his test drive. He did this after he dried out the cylinders real good, put new plugs in it and got it to fire up. knowing this peaks my curiosity because I don't know how much water may have come in with that valve stuck open when I was stranded in the water and cranking the motor trying to get it started(many times) or if more came in when he had it in the water after that. I won't know until he gets it all put back together and I can test run it.

Thought of another question. I really want to rule out the manifolds as my problem. They are still currently disassembled. What should one look for on these to know whether they are bad. How reliable is just a visual inspection? Can they be tested at all other then a pressure test with them back in place?

Also to answer the question about what happended to the flappers, he said they were completely gone but I don't know if he meant burnt off or just missing. I guess I should ask. What would you guys do with the flappers? Should I pay him to put new ones on during the motor reassembly process or is it money wasted? I'm allready racking up a bill that's more then I can afford so don't want to add any unnecessary costs.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...He did not change the oil until after his test drive. He did this after he dried out the cylinders real good, put new plugs in it and got it to fire up...

This guy is really staying on top of things...

He found water in the cylinders, and DID NOT check the oil before deciding to take it for a test drive?????

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

And the hits just keep on comming . . .

Look, the message has been sent loud and clear that my mech is a piece of crap but I've got to ride this thing out. Don't think anyone is going to want to put back the pieces of a boat motor they didn't take apart. This is why i'm asking for help from all of you guys to try and salvage my situation as best I can.

Can anyone respond with something constructive on my manifold questions other then my mech is a loser?

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

**Editted**

A visual inspection will only be good enough for what you can see. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to see inside the entire water jacket in the manifold. You can pressure test them by building some block off plates and closing up any open plumbing fittings. Manifolds have been sometimes known to only leak when the engine is hot, so take that into consideration. Sometimes it's just easier to replace the manifolds and risers. This is actually considered normal maintenance.

If you don't replace the flappers, you run the risk of swamping your exhaust when you take the boat off plane or when you're sitting or docked and someone comes through with a big boat, too fast.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If you don't replace the flappers, you run the risk of swamping your exhaust when you take the boat off plane.

That would only happen if you turned the engine off at the same time. All new Volvos don't even come with flappers and don't recommend replacing them when they fail.

95yj

Petty Officer 1st Class

That would only happen if you turned the engine off at the same time. All new Volvos don't even come with flappers and don't recommend replacing them when they fail.

Correct on the first part as the exhaust pressure will keep out the water. Wasn't aware of the second part.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Look at the mating sufaces where the riser meets the manifold....
They should be clean & flat...(check with straight edge)....
The exhaust cavity in the manifold should not show any signs of rust.....
What they look like on the outside is irrelevant...
Was a compression test ever done on this engine?...
The only way for that much water to get past the pistons would be a very worn set of rings....
Even if it were only in one cylinder.....
I'd put the heads back on & check the compression....
You can pressure test the cooling side of the block with the manifolds off & I suggest you do this to isolate a cracked block/intake manifold....
Pressurize the block & listen, you will hear it if it is leaking....
Without reading this whole thread, a good mechanic should have had this diagnosed.....
It sounds to me like a rebuilt block is in your future....:(

thanks guys. There's no doubt I'm disappointed with my mech. I had quite a bit of faith in him going into this as he works on much bigger and better boats then mine at the marina and I've heard nothing but good things. People that own the high dollar boats there won't let anyone else work on their boat.

He did check compression before he disassembled and one cylinder was low because of a stuck valve. after he got it free and got the motor running he re-tested and all cylinders were in range. I'm going to make sure he pressure tests the manifolds and the block. I starting to get real discouraged. I should no the results from the machine shop today on my heads. I almost hope they find something. Anything but a cracked block.

Let's say it is a block crack. Why would the boat have run fine the 2 times I had it out this season? It showed absolutely no signs of a problem. We ran it hard the second time out. I just turned off the motor for a very short time and it wouldn't start. It wasn't even running rough before I shut it off. I cranked it over and over and then had to be towed in. If all that water was in there from a cracked block, you would think it would have shown signs earlier in the day right? Why would it crack after shutting it down?