How do you think i did on my NEW BOAT =)

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How do you think i did on my NEW BOAT =)

After we put plug in, drove it around for about 30 min, came back, drove it home, and pulled plug, mabey 1/2 gallon came out... there is no switch for a bilge pump, but the manual says the boats have one. The plug was no in when i got the boat, so i think maybe the water went in the splines, its a steel screw plug... that or we slowed down to fast, and the water came over back of boat alittle, i didn't notice anything.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

1/2 gal could be a leak or could have occourred during launching or even from rough water. You could probably figure it out next time you launch it and stay out for a little longer. Most water from leaks comes in when boat is sitting still. You need a bilge pump either way. You may have one, it may be on a float switch. Get 1 if you don't, if you do have one already, put a hard wired switch on it.

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its a 1989 17ft SeaSwirl Tempo, manual says its got built in pump... but doesn't say what kind it is... I'll see what i can find.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Either way, you still got a great deal. The pump is typically mounted near the drain in the bilge. Do you have inspection ports that you can look down into? That's where it should be. GL

Nandy

Commander

1/2 gal of water is not going to get your pump going if it has an auto switch. That is simply not enough water. That little bit of water could have gotten in the boat from many sources including water spray as you ran the boat. You can put 3 to 5 gal in your hull thru the bilge to try to wash anything in the hull. You can check the weather and do it a week where sunshine is forecast to have it dry. That should not hurt your boat. They are built to stand occasional water in the hull. Find out about your bilge pump and make sure it is working. It is best to have the bilge in a 3 way switch where you can turn it off, on and auto (with the help of a float switch). I have mine in auto most of the time. when you need a pump you usually need it bad!!!

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just remembered the 1st time we backed boat into water, we left the 2 rear straps on LOL and the boat went alittle under water, that is where i'm sure the water go inside... Also just got some "Damp-Rid" Buckets i'm going to put in the boat, with all the covers on, a local marina said it will keep it very dry.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Great! Find you pump yet?

Bigprairie1

Commander

One thing you can do to check for a leak at the plug is get down with a flashlight when the boat is at rest, in the water and take a good look at the plug from the inside. If you see a little bit of water coming in around the plug hole, pull the boat (or don't stay out too long) and the next time put some silicone plumbers tape on it before threading it in.
Either way, very nice boat, great value by all appearances.
Enjoy dude!
BP:cool:

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great! Find you pump yet?

Not yet lol, its been raining all week, haven't had time either to mess around.

When i started to unscrew the drain plug, i noticed water came out premature, i think that the threads were letting water in... so i already did some of the plumber tape around it when i took it out last week... have not yet been back in the water (dealing with insurance and such) before i go out, and really get my feet wet =)

oregonboatnewb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I didn't find any pump under the boat, i did find water =(

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?p=1991193#post1991193

Also, i have what looks to be a clear fuel filter, but no water/fuel separater, would it be in the same place as this filter ?
IMG_8298.jpg

fuzzeywiggler

Petty Officer 1st Class