How do I read this guage???

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer
Re: How do I read this guage???

A "marine starting and deep cycle battery" is a compromise battery. Its plates are made to be more deep cycle than starting, but more starting than true deep cycle. They can be and are effectively used by many, though I believe I get better life span with a true deep cycle flooded cell battery sized large enough to start my 55 HP outboard. At any rate I think I'd see if I could find more detail from the battery manufacturer and whoever made the charger. My hunch is you may be told to use the conventional mode, though I could be wrong.<br /><br />Even the best deep cycle batteries will live a shorter than necessary life if frequently discharged much beyond 25% of their CAPACITY. If the voltage while "at rest" (no load) has dropped to 12.4 volts the battery has used a quarter of its capacity and should be drained no further, but charged as soon as is possible the same day. Probably we all fudge on that once in the while, but the battery will tolerate only so much abuse. Quality of the care we give our battery determines how soon we will need to replace it. Those expensive conditioning chargers are great, but won't entirely make up for merciless neglect.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Charge these type of batteries at 10 amps. Your guage should go to zero overnight. If it only charges half way and will not go further in 24 hours, the battery is gone. <br /><br />I always charge mine after every outing. I use it in a small boat and on my electric motor. I have my deep cycle/starter battery for over 5 years and it still goes like new. Charge it over the winter a couple of times to keep it fully charged. Do not wait until it is completely uncharged to charge it.<br /><br />Charging it at 2 amps is a waste of time on these batteries. The plates are too thick and they need the 10 amps.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

There is an excellent explaination of starting vs. deep cycle in the FAQ section authored by 18rabbit!!!