How do I read this guage???

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class
I drained one of my batteries completely the other day and currently have it on a charger. I have an old Sears charger that says automatic 2 or 10 amp at 12v. I've had it charging at 2 amps for 24hrs and I'm not sure if it's fully charged or not. <br /><br />The charger has a gauge that I don't know how to read. The right side says "start" and the left side says "charge" with a 0-10 count. The needle while charging at 2 amps is at about 2.5 on the charge side. If I switch to 10amp charge the needle jumps in the middle of the start side. What does this mean??? Where should the needle be when fully charged?

grampa's toy

Seaman
Re: How do I read this guage???

phil the needle should go down near zero when the battery is charged.

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

I keep mine on 10 amps when the charger reaches "0" it is fully charged when it reads "10" its dead.

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

So after 24hrs of charging at 2amps my battery is still completely dead? How long will it take to charge at 2amps roughly? Should I charge at 10 amps? I was told a long 2amp charge is better, that's why I was using 2amp.

dk990496

Petty Officer 1st Class

at 2 amps you will need to let it set at least 72 hours change it to 10 amps and fully charge it then you can re- charge at 2 amps as needed to keep a full charge

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the help. At the age of 28 I finally know how to work my battery charger! :D

18rabbit

Captain

Unless you have a 20-a/hr (or smaller) battery, immediately start charging it at 10 amps.<br /><br />If you sucked all that juice out of a ‘starting’ battery, give some serious thought to stopping right where you are at and use the critter as your trade in for a replacement. You have done some serious and irreparable damage to the lead plates inside. You should presume your starting battery would be functioning as low as 50% at best. Do it a couple more times and she is dead.<br /><br />If you yanked a flooded/wet deep cycle battery all the way down, you are in better shape. Damage is being caused by the sulfites that have formed on the lead plates. They are still on there. You want to recharge as fast as you can at the highest amps appropriate for your size battery. After the critter is as fully charged as you can get it, hunt down someone that has a charger that can ‘equalize’ the battery for you. This is done by applying a higher voltage than the battery can sustain…think of it as electro-shock therapy for your battery. :) It removes the sulfites from the lead and contributes them back to the battery soup (sulfuric acid).<br /><br />If you have a gel battery there is a way to pseudo-equalize/charge on the fly. It takes a couple of cycles but a usable battery is supposed to emerge from it. I have never attempted this with a gel battery. Hey! I will not own a gel battery… :) <br /><br />Oh, about the ‘start’ switch…you are probably charging with a car charger. That switch temporarily disconnects the charger’s output so you can attempt to start your car without disconnecting the whole charger unit. It causes the starter to pull directly from the battery only, without a direct pull on the charger’s system being included. Good luck! :)

andrewkafp

Lieutenant Commander

How about throwing it into the car.. jump start it and run it around for a while.<br />They usually charge up pretty quick using the alternator. :D

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 2 batteries are Diehard Marine starting and deep cycle batteries. 575cca 180rc<br /><br />I just bought them in August! Do you think they will be ok?

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I should clarify that they are both the combination type of starting/deep cycle. Not one of each.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Phil - You need to get a hydrometer to test the state of charge of the batteries. Most "meters" will give you the voltage but not the state of charge. Hydrometers are available at most auto parts stores and are relatively cheap. Also check the following for the batteryminder:<br /><br /> http://www.batterymart.com/batteryminder.php <br /><br />They claim that their charger is a conditioner as well as a charger. I bought one but have not had it long enough to know if it performs as advertised. I bought it as I overcharged two perfectly good batteries using my "auto" charger.

Uncle Dave

Petty Officer 1st Class

Phil,<br /><br />A completly drained battery is usually un-revivable.<br />If it does it is at a reduced capacity and is very unreliable. Charging at 2 amps for 24 hours should have given it a pretty good charge. However often it will take just enough charge to fool you into thinking it has re-charged. It may then self discharge and leave you stranded. This will happen overnight.<br /><br />Most auto sales outlets will test your battery for free.<br /><br />If you place the dead battery in a vehicle and attempt to jump start, be very cautious as a completly dead battery is the dangerious one to jump start.<br /><br />Mr. Fitz.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it is normal for the cells to "gas off" while charging. Using a Hydrometer is a good bit of advice. ANY corner auto store/hardware store/Sears should have one.<br />I have a SEARS charger that is aprox. 8 years old. It has a 2/10/60 amp "START" setting. Although it doesn't have a transformer anywhere near big enough for me to believe it can produce 60 amps @ 12 volts>>>it is probably a switching circuit that supplys a higher voltage with the same WATTAGE as a 12V-60A charger. IT IS RATED TO START THE ENGINE and should only be used for a very short burst (only a couple of seconds) while starting. It works pretty well, if used properly.<br /><br />Does your charger have "AUTOMATIC" settings??? If so it will switch from the 10 Amp setting to the 2 Amp setting to OFF automaticly. If not, I would start charging at the 10A setting>>> charge until the gauge reads in the 3 to 4 amp range, then switch to the 2 amp setting for the remainder of your charge (overnight). DO NOT LEAVE ON FOR THE WINTER. 2 amps will overcharge and boil off the water from the electrolite (acid solution) causing damage.

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

My sears charger is similiar but instead of 60amp start it has 50amp start. I don't know if I gave the impression that I was using the start position, but I'm not. <br /><br />The charger says automatic on it but I don't see how it can be automatic. It does not shut off on its own or switch from 10 to 2 amp. Pretty much just a manual charger. I put a fully automatic charger on my xmas list, hope I'm on Santa's good side. :D <br /><br />I'll pick up a Hydrometer also.

Boilermaker

Petty Officer 1st Class

Phill, <br />On my charger there is a 3 way selector switch, MANUAL-AUTOMATIC DEEPCYCLE-AUTOMATIC REGULAR- <br />The owners manual says>>> <br />"...IN BOTH AUTOMATIC SETTINGS, THE NEEDLE WILL FALL TO ZERO AND THE CHARGER WILL SHUT OFF WHEN THE CHARGER'S CONTROL CIRCUIT SENSES A FULL CHARGE." On mine, a small GREEN L.E.D. on the gauge then lights up.<br />It also says>>><br /> "...USE THE AUTOMATIC REGULAR SETTING FOR ALL BUT DEEP-CYCLE BATTERIES, AND FOR SEVERLY DISCHARGED BATTERIES.>>>A SEVERLY DISCHRGED BATTERY MAY NOT HAVE ENOUGH CHARGE TO START THE CONTROL CIRCUIT IN AUTOMATIC SETTINGS. IN THIS CASE CHARGE ON MANUAL UNTIL THE BATTERY HAS ENOUGH CHARGE TO ACCEPT THE AUTOMATIC SETTING."<br />Also>>>><br />"IN THE MANUAL SETTING, AS THE BATTERY CHARGES, THE NEEDLE WILL FALL TO ABOUT 4 OR 5 AMPS, INDICATING A FULL CHARGE."<br /> Hope this helps. :cool:

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

May as well get my two cents in. I have a small charger that is 20 years old. The meter on the charger never gets to zero and have never had a dead battery problem. This could be a calibration problem with the meter on the charger. Charge for 24 hours on two amp setting. After about 6 hours after you remove charger test with a volt meter and verify you have a minimum charge of 12.4 VDC. Check battery periodically that the voltage remains above 12.4 Volts. If the battery is shot after a few days the voltage will go down to 12 volts or lower (Note this is assuming the battery is not connected to any thing). If this happens you need a new battery.

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just got a new battery charger! I now have a new question. The charger has a switch for selecting between "conventional/low maintenance" and "maintenance free/deep cycle". Which do I use? I have combination marine starting and deep cycle. I'm confused. The battery has caps where you could add water so it could be low maintenance but at the same time it's deep cycle too.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

The Batteryminder that SoLittle posted about is the hot ticket. With one of those, you may never buy another battery.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty