Hooked battery up backwards... D'OH!

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is on a 2003 Regal 2200 with a Mercruiser 5.0 MPI. What is the likelyhood I caused some major damage by doing this. I'm guessing I fried the inline fuse at the ignition switch at the bare minimum since everything except the engine and radio now work. I'm going to be heading up to the boat in a little while to do some diagnostic work, my plan of attack is fuses, ignition switch then where should I go from there.

FYI, when I turn the key now I get no engine alarm beeps, no fuel pump pressurizing and no radio (no cranking of the engine either) Everything else on the boat appears to be working (lights, bilge pump, blower, horn, etc)

Thanks in advance

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hooked battery up backwards... D'OH!

There should be a resetable breaker at the engine. Push the button.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a breaker next to my battery switch which I have tried to reset (and doesn't seem to be tripped)

Approximately where on the engine does Mercury install this breaker you are referring to?

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

on mine its on the rt top corner of the motor just above the fuel filter
its the red button to the top left of the mercathod in this pic

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, the breaker did nothing. I am getting 12V at the battery switch, and at the dash for instrumentation, just not for the ignition.

After consulting my service manual I see that there is a 90 Amp fuse attached to the starter, I guess that is the next thing to check, especially since Mercury shows that it should be the 1st thing in line after the battery switch. I'm just not sure how I will be able to get to the back side of my engine, I wonder if my sun pad will come off easily or if I should just drop it off at the shop. I'll see if I can get to it so maybe I can get my boat on the water this weekend.

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did it once on my 3260 and I learned where the fuses were on the stereo and batt charger. Won't do that again, I hope.

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, I hope I don't do that again either. Got the fuse replaced this morning, luckily the dealer parts counter had one in stock. The guy said mine was the 3rd one this week, and that they rarely ever sell any. Man, this sucker is a pain to get to down on the back side of the engine, I was able to flip my sunpad up high enough to be able to lay across the engine to reach it.

It also blew the fuse on the back of the stereo, that one was MUCH easier to replace. :)

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

hope nothing else got burned up

have you had a chance to run it yet TB?

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, all seems well with the boat. After replacing the fuse I reconnected the battery and turned the ignition switch to the "ON" position and the engine alarm sounded a single beep and I could hear the fuel pump building pressure. Started it up on the muffs and let it run for about 10 minutes. Alternator is reading just under 14V, so I think I'm good to go now, I just need time to get out on the water.

edubya78

Recruit

hi, i seemed to have done something similiar although, I didn't hook the battery up backwards. Anyways, i took it into the dealer and they diagnosed the 90A fuse as blown but didn't have any. However they disassembled the fuse from the starter and I am not sure how everything was wired up before. I now have the replacement fuse but am unable to get the boat to the dealer this weekend as they are closed for the holiday...Can anyone walk me through what wires are connected to which posts on the starter and fuse. Thanks in advance.

EW78

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

edubya; i haven't had to do that to mine. if Tim doesn't answer you might start a new thread.
you might not get any answers from someone else's thread and it gets confusing as to which they are answering, you or in this case Tim

welcome and good luck

TimBobCom

Petty Officer 2nd Class

edubya78 - First, you have to be able to get to the bottom of your engine where the starter is located. I have a 2003 Mercruiser 5.0L MPI and it was located on the starboard side near the back and bottom of the engine.

Here is a picture of the starter showing the fuse (the "block" with a bolt sticking out, and a tab with a hole on the end)

StarterAssembly.gif

The tab will connect to the post on the starter, you will have two larger redwires (likely a 00 and 2/0) which will be connected to this location as well. On the bolt end of the fuse you will connect the wire which should be red and purple (mine was two wires connected to the same connector.

You should be able to do the entire job with a 7/16" and a 1/2" wrench, although clearance may be tough so you may need sockets on long extensions.

I hope this helps.