homelite 55 fisher pierce

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: homelite 55 fisher pierce

As I said, the engine has to be totally disasembled to get the valves out. The real picnic is getting the clearance correct when you put it together. The clearance is set by changing shims inside the cam followers. Put it all together, measure the clearance, take it apart again (remove camshaft), change the shims, put it back together, measure again and find out it still isn't right, take the camshaft off again, etc, etc.

I had no difficulty shimming the cam followers on my Crosleys, F_R. I had to rotate the crank to get the "point" of the lobe pointing up and use two feeler guages to measure 1.) the desired clearance, and 2.) the size shim needed to get that clearance.

A compression check IDs what cylinder has a problem, a stuck valve can be eyeballed by pulling the cam cover and watching as you rotate the crank.

A standard valve job is, as you said, a full teardown so it amounts to a complete rebuild or at least an overhaul. However, on an engine that you can almost carry around tucked under your arm it is a lot less of a challenge than some might think.

to all,

as for me, i'd just like to FIND another early Homelite 55 (that' all in one piece) for my '62 Jupiter, to replace the 55 that i was DUMB enough (15+ years ago) to sell to my cousin!

mine was a '63 & when i was last at home, it was still "purring along" just fine, thanks.

yours, PG

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Been there, done that, wish it was shim and bucket instead of bucket and shim! Lot's of shimming in that engine, you must get the backlash set correctly for the bevel gear cam drive too or risk wiping out the gears. I recently replaced the block on one of mine as it was cracked.

Yep, lots of little details involved, such as timing the gears and keeping the parts in the same location and orientation. One thing that blows a two-stroke guy's mind is that #1 cylinder is at the bottom instead of the top. Fun motors to work on though.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

However, on an engine that you can almost carry around tucked under your arm it is a lot less of a challenge than some might think.

Just like my Geo Metro. They're about the same size, cubic inch wise and about the same horse power. Fortunately though, the Geo Metro engine is so much easier to work on.:cool:

CrosleyClub

Recruit
Homelite 55 / Fisher-Pierce Bearcat / Aerojet / Crosley Marine /

Homelite 55 / Fisher-Pierce Bearcat / Aerojet / Crosley Marine /

Right! You'll want to check with the 356 helpful folks at the Crosley Car Owners Club (CCOC) who have experience and manuals on these marine engines, and parts sources. The website is www.onelist.com/group/Crosley and (under construction: www.crosleyclub.com

M

mrcrabs

Nice read, I saw one on craigs list awhile back, small boat and 55hp....$350

I would like to have that 85hp on my little trihull, my 70hp looper is a gas hog :mad: