Homeless man jailed for poaching

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer
I got this in my email. Thought I'd share with ya'll.

Homeless Man Jailed For Poaching Rare Steelhead

A 23-year-old homeless man was recently sentenced to 10 days in jail for catching and cooking a federally protected steelhead in California.

The arrest of Victor Manuel Silva, who was convicted of illegally taking and possessing wildlife, has triggered a varied response from anglers online. Here's what happened, as reported by David Sneed of the San Luis Obispo Tribune.

State Department of Fish and Game (DFG) Warden Teri Hickey received a tip about someone fishing in San Luis Obispo Creek, which is closed to angling. When she arrived, she found a small group of homeless men cooking a large fish over a fire.

The fish was a rare Central Coast steelhead trout, which is protected and listed as threatened under the federal Endangered Species Act. Making matters worse, it was an egg-carrying female, killed before she had the chance to spawn.

"Every fish really counts," said DFG Lt. Dean Hileman. "We're talking about a species that is so critical that some subspecies are in danger of going extinct."

What is your opinion? Should this poacher have been prosecuted?

ksubigbuck

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Homeless man jailed for poaching

Should he be prosecuted? Yep. It stinks because he probably didn't know what kind of fish it was, and was just trying to feed himself. But, nobody is above the law, and he should have thought of that before he made the long string of bad decisions that led to him being homeless.

Tough love regards,
Hunter

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I am a believer in the theory that ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking it. However I have way more respect for a hungry guy who goes fishing to feed himself than I do for the freeloaders who stand at red lights and beg for what I worked my *ss off for.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I could see this one getting out of hand. Please keep this from being a human rights vs. animal rights slug fest. With that said, when I poach I prefer White Rhino tenderloin. Yummy!!

chiefalen

Captain

QC Hah did you cook it in a little cream sauce. But i bet you wanted the horn, ground it up for the hmm how would we say it, the great effects, they say on the labido.

10 days ouch, maybe the guy will come out all cleaned up and turn around his life. Fresh set of cloths, clear headed. Never know.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

A few thoughts.

Wonder why this guy is homeless. He is resourceful. Maybe mental/psych trouble? It is not a given that he got there through bad decisions.

Ten days food and shelter might not seem so bad to a homeless guy.

The publicity is sure to trigger a rash of poaching in SLO Creek.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Well he's got a home for 10 days at least. And I have another question. Did he have a valid fishing license, or was he breaking that law too.

Drowned Rat

Captain

I guess I have to wonder just how dire his situation was. i.e. Was he homeless by choice or wasn't he? Not that I would know, but when you're starving, you do what you have to do. I know this is a stretch, but if you were lost in the wilderness and starving and all you could find to eat was a Central Coast Steelhead Trout, would you eat it? Or would you think to yourself, "This is a federaly protected endangered species and I'd hate to be the one to contribute to it's demise"?

JB brings up a good point, the man may be (probably is) mentally ill. Psych disorders and homelessness are almost synonomous with one another. To them, the middle of a large city can be just like a wilderness.

thurps

Chief Petty Officer

Did anyone ask what he used for bait?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

From a wildlife point of view it was wrong :(

From a homeless tansient point of view it was food but a better choice than a theft of private property ........ being convicted of B&E or worse. It might have been a better choice than the local shelter for safety reasons too. San Luis Obispo has a high volume of homeless people....... shelters are not worm and fuzzy places.

This whole thing is a dilemma and not a good one :confused:

QC.... "With that said, when I poach I prefer White Rhino tenderloin. Yummy!!" Here in Vermont...... I admit I have tried to poach them and I have waited and waited but they never seem to cross my path when I am prepared! Maybe I am using the wrong bait! :p

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

From a wildlife point of view it was wrong :(

From a homeless tansient point of view it was food but a better choice than a theft of private property ........ being convicted of B&E or worse. It might have been a better choice than the local shelter for safety reasons too. San Luis Obispo has a high volume of homeless people....... shelters are not worm and fuzzy places.

This whole thing is a dilemma and not a good one :confused:

QC.... "With that said, when I poach I prefer White Rhino tenderloin. Yummy!!" Here in Vermont...... I admit I have tried to poach them and I have waited and waited but they never seem to cross my path when I am prepared! Maybe I am using the wrong bait! :p

I just got back from five hours out on the lake trying to hook a fish with no success when I read this story. I did feel a little jealousy. The whole thing is still just a mess. Yes he stole, no it wasn't B&E. Putting bait on a hook to feed youself sounds innocent enough though. This reminds me of the messy apartment thread several months ago. Noone here could possibly know the specific reasons behind this guys living siuation. But he is resourseful and that's what makes it interesting. You know he had to be thinking "Damned if you do, damned if you don't".

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

All I know at least he was attempting to feed himself instead of waiting for a hand out it to bad that the powers that be couldn't find something for this guy to do that was productive instead of punishing him,oh well now he gets 3 meals and a cot for the next 10 days

luv2b0at

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ever had poached steelhead trout? A little butter, lemon and pepper. It's delicious...

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Up here in the Great White North subsistence hunting and fishing is legal but only for a certain group of people. It's too bad that it's not a right for everyone. 3 hot's and a warm bed for 10 days would probably seem like a holiday for this guy.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Kinda bad when it becomes a crime to feed yourself off the land when you have no other means, whether he is mentally handicapped or just plain lazy is another debate. If you are hungry, your stomach could care less whether something is "endangered" or not.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

I admit I have tried to poach them and I have waited and waited but they never seem to cross my path when I am prepared! Maybe I am using the wrong bait!

Bait won't work. You have to call 'em in. Here's my next door neighbor with the one he got in his back yard.

rhino-hunt-24266.jpg

QC

Supreme Mariner

Now that there is a Black Rhino. I find their meat to be much tougher, so I usually braise it or use it in a stew.

QC

Supreme Mariner

LOL @ BoatBuoy :D

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Steelhead? Is this the infamous steelhead that resides in the Great Lakes as well? I don't get too many opportunities to fish for them down here , but I hear there is an excellent way to cook the ones from the GL.

Supposedly, you take a piece of cedar plank, placing the gutted fish on the plank. Probably leave the head on for full effect. Wipe with extra virgin olive oil, some lemon and salt and pepper. Broil for only ten minutes per pound.
Remove from the oven, throw away the fish and eat the plank!!

I guess our homeless friend has yet to hear about that recipe.....

Seriously, tho. Seems such a shame for him, may not seem like the punishment fits the crime. He won't have to worry about hunger for the next ten days tho...