History from the perspective of Europe?

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: History from the perspective of Europe?

You don't seem to be able to discuss history without a lot of hand-wringing over America's will to defend itself.<br /><br />You don't seem to recognize that the US does not set the rules for how other countries conduct their foreign policy. Unfortunately we must often use some pretty dark tactics against those who would harm us because we have little or no choice. They pick the time, the place, and the weapons to be used. You don't respond by taking a knife to a gunfight, regardless of how "morally superior" you might feel in the unlikely event you win---much less survive.<br /><br />That lack of understanding goes hand-in-hand with your apparent amazement that when you flame America, someone flames you back in response.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Rodbolt, I don't claim that the US is totally guiltless. I do, however, view this country as a glass that is half full. You undoubtedly view this country as a glass half empty. I don't know, maybe you feel that if you dwell on the downsides it will be your ticket to some form of heaven. IMHO, it is nothing more than a trumped up sense of moral superiority. It is a common trait among Liberals.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

boomyall<br /> our glass is mostly full. we have millions of hard working folk that try to do right every day. just a liar is a liar I dont care what party they are from or what position they hold. if we dont learn from any mistakes we will keep repeating them. the world is growing to small for that.<br /> dogs dad<br /> what kinda dark tactics did we need in the 50's against a democratically elected govt?<br /> what kind of dark tactics did we need in the central and south american debacle that sent so many of our adim to the convicted felon list? and still no one on any post wants to answer any simple history questions :) .<br /> I have no sense of moral anything. dont believe much in morals. just believe in truth. if your right your right and if your wrong lie about it till your right is the way I guess.<br />dogsdad<br /> if another countries policy is to sell their oil someplace else than the US, is it a national security issue or a policy issue ?

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by dogsdad:<br /> All the US is trying to do is keep commerce free and stable. All certain Islamic extremists are trying to do in the Iraqi situation is stifle fair and free petroleum commerce in order to harm the USA.
I must have missed the news bulletin where the US admitted that the war on Iraq was about oil and US economic interests. <br /><br />The first I heard it was about WMD's and defnitely not oil, or regime change, or anything but WMD's. Then the weapons of mass deception couldn't be found so it was about getting rid of that terrible dictator that the US, along with Britain and other Western powers, armed and supported for so many years. At least now somebody admits it's about oil.<br /><br />Whose oil is it, anyway? <br /><br />If it's OK for the US to invade and manipulate Iraq for its own economic benefit, then the same principle applies to every other country. I guess the US will concede it's OK for China to do the same to the US in another 25 or 30 years when China might well be the dominant world military power backing an economy sucking in resources faster than anything we've ever seen? If you bring it down to the personal level, how'd you like it if the richest man in America broke into your house and helped himself to your best assets just because he wanted them for himself?<br /><br />If you don't like that idea, then accept that the Iraqis, and others, are entitled to resent the attitude you've just expressed which is that anything that supports the American economy is good and America is entitled to achieve it by military force if it can't get it any other way. <br /><br />Pardon the other 6.1 billion people in the world if we don't share the opinion of whatever number of the 295 million people in the US who have that view.<br /><br />Also recognise that the people in Iraq and elsewhere who hate or merely resent the US are fuelled by the sort of opinion you've expressed, and were long before 9/11 for reasons some of which rodbolt outlined. <br /><br />It is particularly ironic and unseemly that this selfish nationalistic opinion was expressed in a thread which started off acknowledging the selfless sacrifice of US service men and women in a war where, unlike Iraq, there can be no doubt that all Allied forces were engaged in a justifiable war against evil for the good of all.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Rodbolt, you must have been in the DIA or CIA if you know all about the reasons we have done the things we have done. Do you claim to know that there was no threat eminating from either of the places you mention? Mmmm...thought not. Wring those hands, buddy!<br /><br />Tinkerer, the most appropriate response to your comments is "BULLSH!T." You express yourself as though you believe that the US is confiscating Iraqi oil. Certainly you know better. And your imaginative stretching of my comments to mean that the US is in Iraq to take their oil reveals something about the spirit of your thinking that I won't name. I'm not going to waste my time explaining American presence in Iraq---I'm sure many folks have absolutely WASTED a lot of effort doing just that. But I'll explain something to you now, just once: if we wanted to do so, we COULD confiscate all of Iraq's oil, and that of a few other countries as well. Instead we are pouring millions and millions of dollars into Iraq to restore services and institutions that have been defunct for years. If you don't like US policy in Iraq, you can sit in a corner and pout for all I care. Your insinuations are over the line and OUT of line. You have no right to criticize or set standards as to how I respond to one of my own countryman's comments---especially in defense of my country. See about developing a sense of propriety.<br /><br />I am through with this thread.

Tinkerer

dogsdad<br /><br />I apologise for misinterpreting your comment<br />"All the US is trying to do is keep commerce free and stable. All certain Islamic extremists are trying to do in the Iraqi situation is stifle fair and free petroleum commerce in order to harm the USA." <br />as being capable of any interpretation that there is any connection between the US presence in Iraq; trade and commerce; and oil. Clearly you meant to say that the US and others are in Iraq for reasons totally unconnected with trying to keep commerce free and stable and certainly not to try to oppose certain Islamic extremists who are trying to stifle fair and free petroleum commerce in order to harm the USA. I must be stupid beyond belief to infer from any of that that you saw a connection between the US presence in Iraq; trade and commerce; and oil supplies to the USA.<br /><br />
Originally posted by dogsdad:<br />And your imaginative stretching of my comments to mean that the US is in Iraq to take their oil reveals something about the spirit of your thinking that I won't name.
Don't keep us in suspense. I can live with it.<br /><br />
I'm not going to waste my time explaining American presence in Iraq---I'm sure many folks have absolutely WASTED a lot of effort doing just that.
My Prime Minister, his government, and lot of other fools and liars among others. If we could have harnessed the energy generated internationally in trying to justify a war on Iraq we wouldn't need their oil. But you're right, as far as I was concerned it was definitely a waste of time, just like the search for non-existent WMD's that were supposedly what it was all about.<br /><br />
But I'll explain something to you now, just once: if we wanted to do so, we COULD confiscate all of Iraq's oil, and that of a few other countries as well.
Does this prove something worthwhile? If it's such a big deal, surely it's worth repeating again and again? Anyway, you couldn't do it without going onto a war footing. You're already stretched rotating your units through Afghanistan and Iraq. You can't even equip them properly. And before you get all wound up about the last statement as representing some evil and unspeakable hostility towards the US, that's not me talking but what your troops on the ground said to Donald Rumsfeld when he visited Iraq. And the former concern comes from your military, not me. Or is it now an attack on America to repeat what your soldiers in Iraq say and what your military planners say? Or can't I say that at all because I'm not an American and I shouldn't respond to puffed up, jingoistic, militarily and politically impossible comments about America being able to take pretty much all the oil it wants?<br /><br />
Your insinuations are over the line and OUT of line. You have no right to criticize or set standards as to how I respond to one of my own countryman's comments---especially in defense of my country. See about developing a sense of propriety.
Ignoring the fact that your comment to which I responded wasn't specifically addressed to anyone, let alone one of your countrymen, I thank you for setting me straight on that. I was under the misapprehension that this was a board where members could contribute to open discussions and open comments like yours. I didn't realise that on an international board only Americans could respond to Americans' comments about American activities that affect the rest of the world. I'm grateful to you for setting the standards for me and I apologise for doing whatever it was that you think constituted me setting the standards for you. I acknowledge your right to set standards for others. You are perfectly entitled to be immune from reciprocal conduct, both on this point and your original comments to which I responded. I should not have presumed to attempt to object to your implicit opinion that what is good for America is good for the world. <br /><br />I would not wish to offend you by suggesting that I have as much right as you to express my views on Iraq, particularly when my country happens to have been involved in Iraq purely to support yours and my country shares the consequences of those actions. Next time some radical Islamic ratbag gives a rant about how Australia is on their hit list because of our involvement in Iraq, I'll just ignore it because it's purely an American issue that nobody else is allowed to comment on.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Rodbolt,<br /><br />Do me a favor will ya? Take yer agenda to another thread instead of hijacking this one. This discussion is about US military action in WWII, not your theories on economics and foreign policy. While you may have a point of view to express on your chosen subject, you have chosen the wrong place in which to express it. Byeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Clanton<br /> The US also trained pilots from GB and other countries.
The newspaper artical is slightly misleading.<br />By the time that these fields had been set up in April 1941 the "Battle of Britain" was over and the bombing of UK airfields was all but non existant, occasionaly individual airfields were targeted on a small scale but the sustained heavy bombing was over (B of B July 10th - Oct 31st 1940). Also the US did not train the RAF cadets. Prior to US involvment in the war any military assistance would have been a political "Hot Potato" these fields were comanded by the US but the training was done by the RAF in twin seat Spitfires & Hurricains.<br /><br />There were 6 airfields in the US that were used by the RAF. There are very few, if any, history books that mention these airfields, having said that very little has been written about any of the RAF training facilities, but it is another example of the US assistance prior to thier all out commitment to the war.<br /><br />Two points to note:<br /><br />1 There were 28 US pilots who flew with RAF squadrands durring the Battle of Britain.<br /><br />2 In April 1941 there were 46 training airfields in GB.

Tinkerer

Following on from RPJS's post, there were actually 3 distinct American fighter squadrons in the RAF before the US got formally involved in WWII.<br /> http://www.elknet.pl/acestory/eagles/eagle1.htm <br /><br />There were also Americans in RAF bomber crew but I don't know the numbers.<br /><br />One little known but hugely important and sustained contribution by America was the women who made up the ferry crews to fly planes made in the US to Britain. http://www.centennialofflight.gov/essay/Air_Power/Women/AP31.htm <br /><br />Canada was the primary source of North American training for British aircrew under the Empire Air Training Scheme. There may have been American instructors involved as the first link notes that 10% of RCAF was American. http://www.awm.gov.au/units/unit_14939.asp <br />The final paragraph in the link shows part of the problem in trying to work out how many people from individual Commonwealth countries served in WWII as many served in British units.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Tinkerer<br /><br />Were these squadrons listed as part of the RCAF. My reason for asking is that I was taught that there were 28 US pilots who joined the RAF to fight.<br />Your link makes interesting reading and I'm assuming that because these pilots came to Britain via the RCAF they were numbered within the large contingant of Canadian pilots fighting at that time.<br /><br />The six US airfields used by the RAF in 1941 were not part of the Empire Air Training Scheme, by this time the RAF was recovering from it's shortage of pilots and I belive that these these training fields were set up with a political agenda rather than military.<br /><br />Do you have any information on the numbers of pilots in addition to the Australians who came through the Empire scheme?

SoulWinner

Commander

DJ / Rodbolt, thanks for the laughs guys. Since Lester hasn't been posting the funnies, I needed that. You must be the only two guys on the planet that actually listen to Air America.

Tinkerer

RPJS<br /><br />Although I knew a lot more detail 20-30 years ago and had plenty of books that had the detail, now the books are gone and I'm left with general knowledge and bits and pieces of recollections. In my last post I just did some searches for links that would give more info for people reading this thread. The trouble with websites is that there's no way of knowing how reliable the information is. <br /><br />My understanding is that the pilots in 71, 121 and 133 Sqns RAF were Americans who joined the RAF direct. This seems to be confirmed by this more informative link on the Eagle Squadrons with more links at the bottom of the page. It says that 244 American pilots flew with these RAF Squadrons: http://www.fourthfightergroup.com/eagles/es.html <br />I love the bit in the 71 Sqn link that says the pilots hated the Brewster Buffaloes and trashed them by ground looping them to get better planes. The Buffalo was an acknowledged dog of a plane http://www.warbirdforum.com/saga.htm <br /><br />According to the National Museum of the USAF, 15,000 Americans joined the RCAF and RAF. I'd expect most of them were before Pearl Harbour as subsequently those who could pass US enlistment standards would almost certainly join US services. http://www.wpafb.af.mil/museum/history/prewwii/es.htm <br /><br />Here's some links with more detailed info on the EATS.<br /> http://www.answers.com/topic/british-commonwealth-air-training-plan <br /> http://www.awm.gov.au/events/conference/2003/clark.asp <br /> http://www.nzetc.org/tm/scholarly/tei-WH2AirF-c5.html <br />Odd, but Google isn't throwing up any Canadian sites with detailed info.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Lets think about it, if another country had to liberate you from a powerful force, you might want to play that down. Although there is no shame in loosing to the Nazis, its still kinda hard to swallow.<br /><br />In the end it was all of us TOGETHER that defeated the evil empire.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep. politics aside it was a collassal effort by all involved. some leaders got bent and feelings hurt due to a bit o glory hunting but all the allied nations pulled together eventually. seems the US captured the enigma machine and took a bit to inform britain of it. the "man who never was" was a brilliant stroke. the RAF as well as the US army air corps were caught a bit off guard and a bit behind in technology but caught up and surpassed the axis fairly quickly. <br /> but I do tend to honor all the soldiers that fought honerably, most would haave rather stayed home on both the axis and the allied sides.<br /> I have occasions to chat with former russian sailors that served about the same time I did. two were submariners. to me a russian submariner is either very brave and dedicated or crazy. I aint sure which yet:). but most served for the same reasons I served. got in a spot o trouble over it once when on active duty :) :) . at the NIS interview the next day the interviewer kept asking what we talked about and I kept telling him when my head quits pounding maybe ill remember :) . mostly we chatted about wives and kids. never disscused anything related to ships.<br />was funny though cause we were all trained to kill each other.<br /> Ken<br /> was no shame at all in losing to the Nazi's in the late 30's. they were the best trained and equiped fighting force on the planet at that time. even the US recognized that eventually. but the Nazi leadership staarted believing their own proaganda and the top level people tended to surrond themselves with lapdogs and fire anyone with an opposing view. lucky for the allies.<br /> was a terrible conflict though. maybe not as bad as WWI in terms of disease and wounds but horrible just the same

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Tinkerer.<br />I think I may have found my reason for the confusion re the number of US pilots durring the Battle of Britain, as I said I was taught that there were 28 US pilots flying with RAF squadrons durring the conflict, its one of those bits of information that for no reason stuck in my mind, however your post with a link to the 71, 121 & 133 squadrons had me asking myself questions of my memory.<br />After a bit more reserch today I have found the answer. 71, 121 & 133 squadrons were indeed RAF squadrons with all US pilots, however they were not formed until after the Battle of Britain, 71 squadron being the first to fly combat on April 5th 1941 6mths after the B o B had ended with the other 2 squadrons forming soon after. These squadrons were among the best in the RAF. Durring the B o B there were 28 US pilots fighting with RAF squadrons.<br />I have tryed to find figures for the number of Austalian pilots flying with the RAF durring the battle, July 10th - Oct 31st 1940 but I have not been able to find any, (it stands to reason that there must have been some), I think that because Australia was at the time part of the British Empire any of her pilots would have been enlisted as British. I have found figures for Autralian pilots & aircrew post 1940 at almost 30,000 men. I will keep on looking and let you know if I come up with anything.<br /><br />On another tack: rodbolt, I am intrigued to read your comment on the US capture of an Enigma machine, can you give me some more info.<br />I am only aware of the first capture being made by the crew of HMS Bulldog, which forced U110 to surface off the coast of Newfoundland on 9th May 1941. Ironicly the Enigma code had already been cracked by a team of boffins working at Blechley Park lead by Alan Turing & Dilly Knox in 1940.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

<br />On another tack: rodbolt, I am intrigued to read your comment on the US capture of an Enigma machine, can you give me some more info.<br />I am only aware of the first capture being made by the crew of HMS Bulldog, which forced U110 to surface off the coast of Newfoundland on 9th May 1941. Ironicly the Enigma code had already been cracked by a team of boffins working at Blechley Park lead by Alan Turing & Dilly Knox in 1940. [/QB]
Wrong, didnt you see that movie, it was the Americans! JUST KIDDING... :D :D ;D<br /><br />Ken

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Ken,<br /><br />"That Movie"<br /><br /> I think the vets over here would be more willing to forgive the Japs than the Director of that.<br /><br />It realy made the s@#% hit the fan ;) .

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep always the americans :) <br /> I recheced and my memory was wrong. the brits capured one machine in 41 and a second code book in 44 that showed the 4th rotor. the amercans did not capture one until 44.<br /> I do like reading what little bit I can about some of the Bletchly park people. seems an odd eccentric lot of genius's. I wish I knew what movie was being refered to. I enjoy some of the fiction movies as well :) :) . man hollywood can make war look fun. but one of the books I read on the enigma was about some of the wolf pack locations and the decisions made not to tell the convoys about it for fear of tipping the germans that their codes were broken. so for that it truly was an enigme, tell the convoys and save the sailors and risk the germans knowing the code was comprimised or say nothing and hope for the best. <br /> was an ingenius machine though.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi rodbolt.<br /><br />There are numerous web pages dedicated to Betchley Park and the work done there durring the war. This page has a down loadable copey of Alan Turings own files while in charge of the code breakers at Betchley, and makes fascinating reading.<br /><br /> http://frode.home.cern.ch/frode/crypto/Turing/index.html <br /><br />This page links to several other sites about the work undertaken at Betchley, the links about the Bombe & Colossus machines I found very interesting.<br /><br /> http://www.codesandciphers.org.uk/ <br /><br />As to "That Film" have a look at these 2 links<br /><br /> http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Heights/5927/u571.html <br /><br /> http://www.jamesfollett.dswilliams.co.uk/u571 lies damm lies.htm