History from the perspective of Europe?

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer
I was reading some comments recently from teenagers in Europe who were under the impression the US played a minor role in WWII in Europe. When questioned specifically, they stated this was what their history books were telling them. Any Europeans under 50 out there who can comment on this? I think I know what the over-50 group will have to say about it but I was pretty amazed by the remarks by the kids. They truly seemed to believe we were there in a strictly mop-up capacity.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: History from the perspective of Europe?

It depends on how you count,what you count and where you are in the different theaters.<br />History that is written by people that lived it,is very different from history as seen through the eyes of a spectator.<br />It is certainly true that Europeans were in the middle of the war,meaning that women and children were victims,while american women and children were an ocean away.<br />The USA did not actively join the war in Europe until the beginning of 1943,almost 3 years after it had started for most Europeans.<br />The Liberation of Europe on the western side was made possible because of American man power and hardware.The price was paid on the eastern fronts,where russians died at a rate of 37 soldiers for every american dead soldier.This bought the american forces time to organize and prepare.<br />We can safely say that history, as taught in most institutions, is a form of propaganda aimed at nurturing patriotic feelings in its students.<br />Every country needs heroes to talk about, so as not to have to face the defeats that were suffered.That is why every country will warp history in a way that makes it look as good or better than in really was.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

They must get the history channel over there.<br /> <br />You asked for comment from the under-50. I'm 52, started to reply anyhow, but decided my response would derail a potentialy awesome thread.<br />I'll make my own ,as it addresses a removed aspect of this subject.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Noodles<br /><br />When you look at the whole picture of WWII in europe you may get a better understanding of the reasons for the attitude of these teenagers. US forces played a major role in the D Day landings and the liberation of mainland Europe and the USAF played a large role in the bombing raids over Germany in the later stages of the war. However there was a period of about 4 years prior to the US involvment when most of mainland Europe was occupied by germany. When reading history books about the war it would seem that the US did only play a small role.<br /><br />I was born many years after the war in Europe was over, however my parents were both teenagers durring the war and were able to pass on thier knowledge first hand, which gave me a better understanding of the realities of the war. <br /><br />I find it very disturbing that the younger generations in both Europe and the US do not seem to understand the sacrifices that were made durring both WWII and WWI in order to secure the freedom and lifestyle that is enjoyed today.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Teenagers from which country or countries? <br /><br />The experiences of their countries, and the direct contribution of the US or UK to final victory in the sense of land forces in those countries, would be different depending upon whether they were in the path of the Russian or Western advances.

Laddies

Banned

As my family came to the USA many years ago from Kent (abt 1650) I think that I should remind my country men, that if it was not for the young Americans, small part in WW II, you would probably be speaking German---Bob

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

These kids were primarily from France, Norway, Holland, and Belgium. They did not know that the US Air Force was responsible for the destruction of Germany's industry nor that US troops played a major role in D-Day or the western theater of operations. They maintained that their own countries liberated themselves with "some help from Britain" and that the US served primarily as an occupation force when the war was over. They were saying they got this straight from their history books in school.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Bob<br /><br />It cannot be argued that the involvment of US forces was not a major factor in the swift cinclusion to the war, however to say that if it were not for thier contribution the outcome of the war would have been altogether different is an insult to all of the thousands of men from the rest of the allied forces.<br />If the US had not joined the war when it did the conflict would have certainly continued for much longer, but the eventual outcome would have been the same.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

RPJS,<br /><br />Please don't sidetrack this issue. The discussion is not about how long the war would have continued or who would have won. It is about modern text books teaching the latest generation revisionist history that glorifies the efforts of one group while largely ignoring that of another.<br /><br />The fact of the matter is that the US was as much responsible for ending the war as any nation and many thousands of American lives were sacrificed to that end. My father served with many of those who died and mourns them to this day. He will pass away in the none-too-distant future and it distresses me greatly to think that so many will grow up believing that he and his compatriots had little or nothing to do with the freedoms that were secured at so great a cost.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

The origin of the kids clears it up a bit.<br />The Norwegians were never "liberated" and their version of history for their country is correct.<br />the French have their own reasons for warping history.The Belgians have far to many concerns as far as their national character is concerned (Do they have such a thing?).The Dutch kids should know better.I had a classical education in Holland which included a lot of history and the role of the US forces was widely recognized and appreciated in the history books.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by RPJS:<br /> Hi Noodles<br /><br />When you look at the whole picture of WWII in europe you may get a better understanding of the reasons for the attitude of these teenagers. US forces played a major role in the D Day landings and the liberation of mainland Europe and the USAF played a large role in the bombing raids over Germany in the later stages of the war. However there was a period of about 4 years prior to the US involvment when most of mainland Europe was occupied by germany. When reading history books about the war it would seem that the US did only play a small role.<br /><br />I find it very disturbing that the younger generations in both Europe and the US do not seem to understand the sacrifices that were made durring both WWII and WWI in order to secure the freedom and lifestyle that is enjoyed today.
I had to go back and read this response again and am even more p-oed than before. <br /><br />What you fail to recognize is that, during the first 4 years of the war, Germany pretty much had their way with the continent. That, in itself, emphasizes the effect the US' joining the war had. That is hardly what I would classify as a "small role".<br /><br />As to the younger generation in the US, I can't speak about others but I can tell you my children have an extensive knowledge and appreciation for the effort put out by both European and US forces. They have never been nor will be under the impression it was a singular effort. I just can't stand the idea there are those who actually believe that crap.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Noodles:<br /> These kids were primarily from France, Norway, Holland, and Belgium. They did not know that the US Air Force was responsible for the destruction of Germany's industry nor that US troops played a major role in D-Day or the western theater of operations. They maintained that their own countries liberated themselves with "some help from Britain" and that the US served primarily as an occupation force when the war was over. They were saying they got this straight from their history books in school.
Interesting counterpoint to the Japanese corruption of their WWII history in their text books.<br /><br />Without disparaging the valiant people who fought in the resistance movements in Norway, France, Holland and Belgium, they couldn't have expelled German forces in a hundred years even if all of their resistance forces had been combined in one place.<br /><br />The notion that any of the nations on continental Europe, all of which surrendered by mid-1940, freed themselves with a bit of outside help is just laughable. The Germans beat the living bejasus out of vastly superior forces all across Europe and Russia time and time again and would probably still be there if they hadn't been stupid enough to tackle Russia.<br /><br />The fact is that the Germans were outstanding troops at both the tactical and strategic levels, allowing for the usual misjudgments and stuff-ups which bedevil all military commanders.<br /><br />As it was the D-Day invasion was a fine run thing in the first few weeks. The German units defending on the Western Seawall were generally second and third rate. They still put up a sound and aggressive defence which, but for some early conservative decisions by the German command, might have repulsed the invasion.<br /><br />If the combined might of the UK and US D-Day forces and those who followed them were struggling to win, what hope would there have been for the defeated French or any other defeated European nation with a bit of outside help?<br /><br />I guess the Belgians on their own, despite surrendering five years earlier, could have defeated the Germans in the Ardennes Forest when the US forces had their backs to the wall in the Battle of the Bulge? <br /><br />What rubbish.<br /><br />Hasn't it occurred to these dopes that the reason US and UK forces were the mainstay of NATO forces in Europe for half a century is because European nations, apart from the Germans, had shown in two world wars that they couldn't defend themselves?

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by RPJS:<br /> If the US had not joined the war when it did the conflict would have certainly continued for much longer, but the eventual outcome would have been the same.
In your dreams!

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Noodles<br /><br />I was not trying to sidetrack the issue, but responding to an earlier post.<br /><br />I fail to see why my post would upset you.<br /><br />I accnowlage the role that the US forces played in the war but tried to point out that young children these days do not have the first hand knowlage that our generation were privy to.<br /><br />They rely almost totaly on history books that have been written with a blinkerd view. Reading of these books would give the impression that the US played a small role in the war.<br /><br />As for Germany having everything thier own way prior to the US involvment can I remind you that the RAF had thwarted Hitlers plans to invaid the UK and in doing so forced him to turn his attentions to the Eastern front and Russia.

neumanns

Lieutenant Commander

VERY INTERESTING thread, I hope it continues on at the discussion level and does not deteriate to bashing.<br /><br />It does make me wonder though if my views have been tainted by the history given in my informative years.<br /><br />From my learning, I find it a very sad state how there recolection is in there history books of the events that took place. But once again it makes me wonder about my teaching's.

cbnoodles

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by RPJS:<br /> Noodles<br /><br />As for Germany having everything thier own way prior to the US involvment can I remind you that the RAF had thwarted Hitlers plans to invaid the UK and in doing so forced him to turn his attentions to the Eastern front and Russia.
Sorry RPJS but you appear not to read very carefully. I very clearly stated on the CONTINENT. The RAF pulled off one of the most amazing feats in history with repelling the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain. Don't get your panties in a bunch by thinking I'm grouping the British into this mess. I have nothing but admiration for England's bold and nearly single-handed defiance of the German war machine.

Tinkerer

Originally posted by Boomyal:<br />
Originally posted by RPJS:<br /> If the US had not joined the war when it did the conflict would have certainly continued for much longer, but the eventual outcome would have been the same.
In your dreams!
Much as it pains me to agree with Boomyal when he's being aggressively American :D , WWII would have turned out very differently if the Yanks hadn't got involved.<br /><br />The best thing that ever happened for England and Australia, and Europe, in the past 65 years was Pearl Harbour. There's still debate about whether or not Roosevelt and / or Churchill manipulated intelligence about the impending Japanese attack to allow it to occur as grounds for war. There's no debate that Churchill knew that the only chance of victory was for America to join the war, and he devoted huge energy to that end, with sympathy from Roosevelt.<br /><br />If aggresively American people like Boomyal hadn't got involved in WWII the facts are that:<br /><br />1. The Japanese sweep through East and South East Asia would have been unstoppable.<br /><br />2. But for the Battle of the Coral Sea which the Yanks won and which occurred because they were the only Allied naval force in the Pacific (after the British lost Singapore, their main naval force and our 8th Division and nearly our 9th Division, through arrogance, incompetence and stupidity) Australia might well have been invaded. This would have denied Australia and the numerically superior American forces a base for successful army, navy and limited air operations against the Japanese. The island war would have been fought from New Zealand or Hawaii which would have involved significant supply and other line of communications difficulties. This would have involved greater steaming times, fuel loads, and reduced operational ranges for the US ships which were the basis of operations. The result would have been a greatly reduced ability to deliver forces against the enemy. At best the Pacific war would have been a lot longer. At worst it could have been lost. Either way it would have diverted forces and resources from Europe, which in turn would have put the result of that war in doubt. Or vice versa.<br /><br />3. The successful invasion of Europe through Italy could not have occurred without US forces. <br /><br />4. The successful invasion of Europe through Normandy could not have occurred without US forces. <br /><br />5. Anybody who wants to contest #3 and #4 should first look at pictures of amphibious landings in Italy and Normandy. The landing craft are US craft. They got there on US ships. They came out of US factories,like huge amounts of other war material without which these invasions could not have occurred. There's also the minor point that the troops coming out of the landing craft were often American. If the Yanks weren't running up the beaches it would have been a lonely party for the remaining British.<br /><br />6. Daylight bombing raids on Europe were done largely by the USAF from 1943. Their contribution was at least as great as the British night raids during the same period. Also a bit more dangerous as it's easier to find and shoot down a plane in daylight.<br /><br />7. The Yanks made contributions in other theatres in various ways, like Vinegar Joe Stillwell in Burma whose contribution was similar to Orde Wingate's British Chindits.<br /><br />8. If Germany had been defeated without US forces, which is highly improbable, the only army likely to do it was Russia. <br /><br />9. If the atom bomb had not been dropped on Japan the Pacific War would probably have gone on much longer, with many more Allied casualties. The Yanks developed the atom bomb. They're the only country that has used a nuclear weapon so far and, much as the Yanks can be a PITA at times, I'd far rather they had it than Germany or Japan at the time, or since then Russia or China or India or Israel or just about anywhere else except the UK. (The French have it but they'll probably just blow themselves up arguing about how to set if off, which would please everyone.)<br /><br />In case Boomyal thinks that my appreciation of Americans is boundless, I'll remind him of what our and English troops said of American troops during WWII. "There's only three things wrong with Americans. They're over paid; over sexed; and over here." :D

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks for that last post Noodles.<br /><br />As a "Blue Blooded" English man I do tend to get a little hot under the collar with what I would call a "Hollywood" view on the war (US forces single handed victory over the Germans and the rest of the world helpless to defend themselves)

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

There's also the minor point that the troops coming out of the landing craft were often American. If the Yanks weren't running up the beaches it would have been a lonely party for the remaining British.<br />
Tinkerer.<br /><br />There were more British forces landed on the Normandy beaches than US<br /><br />83,000 British<br />73,000 US <br /><br />The US forces had the hardest time landing on Omaha beach where the 1st & 29th divisions suffered 2000 casualties.<br /><br />There were 11,590 planes supporting the landings of which<br /><br />7544 British<br />3630 US<br />416 RCAF<br /><br />There were 195,700 men on board the ships in addition to the landing forces of which<br /><br />112,700 British<br /> 52,889 US<br /> 4,988 From other allied countries<br /><br />The British did have a "small part"

Frankhanhart

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm over 50 (59), read a lot about WW2 and find myself corrected sometimes by my kids (29 and 27) who have more specific knowledge on what went on in Holland during the war and the liberation. That balances out very nicely....they understand how the US had to fight in the Pacific, in micronesia, in Africa (my knowledge), the push through Europe from Italy down and with Overlord as the decisive step, and I learned a lot about from the first step a US soldier set foot in Holland until the day the last hun went back to Germany. It's a matter of how interested kids are in contempory history which makes them read up on it. The lazy ones lap up what's put in front of them. I agree that probably most Dutch don't know ziltch about the tragedies that transpired in the (then) Dutch East Indies under Jap occupation nor do they have the urge to look it up in history books. It's problably those nit-wits all over the world that don't read history that lead us all into making the same mistakes over again.