Hhheeelllllppppp!!!!

dawright

Cadet
I have a 1975 evinrude 135. It will not start unless you have the warm-up lever pulled all the way up or halfway. sometimes it wont start at all. I know that advances the spark with the lever. I check ed the plugs and number 4 cylinder is the only one firing, however when you pull the warm-up lever all the way up all plugs fire except for number 2. Ive cleaned the carbs so i know its not a fuel problem. Please let me know what to do in very non-technical easy to understand instruction being I am not very mechanically inclined. thanks. also when you get it started and you put it in gear it dies. sometimes it wont but when you do get it in gear and then take it back out it idles for about 20 seconds and dies again.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Hhheeelllllppppp!!!!

I have a 1975 evinrude 135. It will not start unless you have the warm-up lever pulled all the way up or halfway. sometimes it wont start at all. I know that advances the spark with the lever. I check ed the plugs and number 4 cylinder is the only one firing, however when you pull the warm-up lever all the way up all plugs fire except for number 2. Ive cleaned the carbs so i know its not a fuel problem. Please let me know what to do in very non-technical easy to understand instruction being I am not very mechanically inclined. thanks. also when you get it started and you put it in gear it dies. sometimes it wont but when you do get it in gear and then take it back out it idles for about 20 seconds and dies again.

Well, the warm up lever is sort of a non-issue if you are speaking of cold-starting. You are supposed to pull it up for that. But the no-spark issue is interesting. My guess is that it isn't cranking fast enough. OR, the stator is bad. Take the spark plugs out and then check for spark. If you now have good spark, I guessed right (it will crank faster with them out).

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hhheeelllllppppp!!!!

You might also check the compression, low compression can cause hard starting problems.