help on used boat decision

glen f

Seaman
Hello everyone, I have spent quite a bit of time reading this forum to get some education on my dillema. Im hoping for some more insight. I would like a used boat to tube and mostly fish in. Cant afford much more than $2000.00. I have found a beatiful lund hull with no motor for close to that, it would require a tiller ob. Found a johnson dolphin with an inline 4 cylinder that supposedly runs good but looks rough for $1600obo, followed a link from the forum and they clean up nice. People were raving how they handle so well, why arent they still made? Found a bayliner ski boat with a 50 horse something for 850 in fair to poor condition, guessing its an 80 something year. Found a hull that looks like a bayliner ski boat that is in good condition for 300 and I know where a 100 or so horse merc from a local dealer is for a grand.Trailer not incuded. After reading this forum its obvious that I need to get more specific but I would like to know opinions if I should concentrate on any of the aforementiond? I have 3 children and a wife that wants to tube and calls my 14 foot crestliner a piece of tin! I will water test anything and follow the great advice in the forums but I want some nonbiased opinions of what boat type would be better to focus on instead of trying to test all three. Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: help on used boat decision

With four or five in the boat, or four in the boat and one tuber or skier, you will need more than 50 HP and something in the 17 foot range (weight capacity is the key -- not the number of people you can fit in the boat). Since you were not very specific in the descriptions (year make & model) of any of the boats/motors you've looked at so far) its difficult to judge. My gut feel however is that with the limited budget, you should keep looking. Nearly everything you mentioned appears to need work so obtaining the rig is one thing. Getting it ready for the water may easily double your investment. Why not just spend a little extra money and get something reliable and presentable. If you are able to do major repairs yourself, it may be to your advantage to buy a rig that needs work.

glen f

Seaman

Thanks for the insight. Im going to gather more data. I found a Larson runabout from late 80s that the pictures look great but it has no motor and the dealer is asking 2000. Sounds high to me but it is pretty. I could probably put my Yamaha 15 on it for a month or so untill I find something bigger. At least I could fish and by the time it warms up here in Northern MN I could afford a big motor. Thanks again for the response. The way people were talking in the forum Im afraid of all the boats Im finding are worthless.

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade

$2000 with no motor? Keep looking.

Purebreed

Seaman Apprentice

I would also agree with Luna Sea. Youu should keep looking. Do not be afraid to look at boats that are priced at 3,000-3,500 and offer considerably less. There was a late 80's Sea Sprite that sold out of my marina acouple of weeks ago that looked to be in great shape for around $2,000. Be patient you will find one. Make sure to look for rot!!!!<br />Purebreed

Mahoney

Chief Petty Officer

friend of mine here in seattle just bought a 32 foot Owens Cruiser with twin 327 inboards for 4K and it is turn key, took it out first day and it runs like a champ.<br /><br />Deals are definitely out there, try local classifieds and sites such as Craigslist dot com. Don't even bother getting into a boat without a motor, a good reliable motor to suit your needs will prolly be close to 2K.

NMplayer

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You ought to be able to find one in pretty good shape with a motor that runs for 2-4K. I would completely stay away from bayliner in that price range un;ess you find one that has been taken really maintained well and covered. I don't bash them at all, but their smaller older models were sometimes entry level boats that people didnt take care of.<br /><br />Really that goes for all fiberglass boats. If they let it rain and snow in it, it is either rotten or it will be. I speak from experience on this. If you're going to buy a fiberglass boat in that price range, be extremely careful. Replacing the floor and stringers is not fun.<br /><br />Personally boats in that price range are all I've ever been able to afford, but the next one will be aluminum.<br /><br />I;m getting long here, but lake test anything you might buy. Do a compression check on the motor and make sure its in good shape.<br /><br />Putting a motor on a different hull can be a lot of work and it adds expense because you need controls and the holes may not match up right.

NYMINUTE

Captain

NMPlayer is correct on Bayliner, however if you are looking for a low price vessel for a few years it may be worth a look. The resell on them is weak, so your $2000, may buy a bit more HP, and length. If it is a long term boating investment, look around them. Look at Rinker, Four Winns, 1980's Take it out on the water for a trial before $$ changes hands, or have a Marine Mech. do a compression test, and other vital checks.

glen f

Seaman

Thank god I came to this site before trying to buy something. All the boats Ive been looking at buying shouldnt be legal to sell. SCARY! the only one still in my mind is this old Johnson Dolphin just cause I like classic stuff and how roomy it would be. I dont think I have the necessary experience to restore it so Ill pass. All Im finding is bayliners. Found an 88 with a 50hp for $850. Is that a feasable deal if the motor passes the tests and I dont find rot or transom damage. Found another like it for 1750 that had 1 owner all records and a trolling motor and some extras. I heed the advise to stay away from these entry level Bayliners but maybe one of these sounds ok to you guys?

CATransplant

Admiral

I know you're eager to get a boat, but slow down a little is my advice. There are literally tons and tons of boats for sale in the twin cities area, and more popping up every day.<br /><br />Another thing to try is taking the long way whenever you drive anywhere. Run up and down some residential streets in the 'burbs. The past couple of weeks, I've seen a bunch of boats with for sale signs on them.<br /><br />One thing you MUST do, though, is get the owner to put it on the lake and demo it for you. If you're budgeting only $2K or so, it will make all the difference in the world. Don't buy a pig in a poke, or you'll find yourself spending that much again getting it right.<br /><br />That's experience talking, Glen. I finally have my boat ready for the season, and it has doubled the price I paid for it originally. I don't mind, because that wasn't a lot, but it's been a lot of work.<br /><br />Much better to test drive the thing and know that it's at least running and floating right before you put down your money.<br /><br />Show the guy the cash, then tell him that you'll take the boat if it performs OK on the lake.<br /><br />BTW, my favorite lake for testing boats is Gervais Lake in Little Canada. You launch on Spoon lake, then go under a bridge to Gervais. It's a great ramp, and not busy, since the fishing's lousy there. Gervais is nice and clean and theres enough room to open it up. If you're in the East Metro, I highly recommend it for testing boats.

Ron G

Commander

i like the idea of taking the long way. i have a buddy that bought 2 boats last year just riding arond in the country 1 the tires was flat on the woman wanted it out of her yard and the other was taking up room in a barn a little cleaning and they were great.it took me 3 yaers to get my boat in the pricerange and it came from a divorce so just be paitence and remember theres no worse feeling than beeing ready for a day on the lake and your outfit wont run or leaves you stranded good luck

glen f

Seaman

thanks again all. I should clarify I am budgeting up to 2500 purchase and 1000 for whatever falls apart. Would like purchase price lower just in case. Definately a starter boat to see what we really want before buying newer. Probably 2 seasons at the most before going much newer.Ive been checking the classifieds in minneapolis paper but didnt see much. wish I lived on the coast again, much cheaper I noticed. Been looking for a couple months but summer is so short here I want something yesterday. Now that I got all this great advice I will continue my search from a different angle. Got a long drive ahead of me today so Im takin some detours, Ill post back tonite. Hope I can help you guys some day.

CATransplant

Admiral

Check the St. Paul Pioneer Press. There have been lots of boats in there lately. If you're willing to spend $2500, you should be able to get something really decent. Best of luck to you, and let us know what you find.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

With gas prices the way they are, I've begun to see bunches of full size trucks, motor homes, and boats for sale. Take Momma and the kids for a nice long drive in the country -- I'll bet you will see more than one boat that the owner would love to get out of his life.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

glen - Keep looking and go for an 18-20'er. There is a huge difference between a 17' and a 19'. My kids (3 of um) were raised in a 19' tri hull. From time to time they would want to bring a friend so with wife, yourself and 3 kids+ your are not going to be satisfied with a 17'. I would hold out for a 19 and preferably with a 115 hp Johnny or Rude V4. Be patient as deals are out there. I got our 19'er as a bank repo as the result of a divorce. If you can wait till fall or after the season you will find your deal. Now through July-Aug is the worst time to buy up north because of the short season.

danie

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That Caravelle 1900 is a beautiful boat for its age and price.<br />Hope glen f takes it.<br />D

glen f

Seaman

Hey guys, Thanks for the great tips! The St.Paul online paper is full of possibilities(thanks ca transplant) and that was a great link (thanks Rogerwa). That boat looks and sounds nice. Even better the little lady likes it so far. Cant wait to test it out. Well probably plan a trip to the cities next weekend. Walleye opener on saturday so the 14ft crestliner will be battling the chop on sunday. Wish me luck and thanks again!

glen f

Seaman

Ive been looking patiently and thanks to this site have been saved from disaster. I am scared of fiberglass because almost any boat I find is stored uncovered. I found an aluminum 19ft hull and trailer for $900. Boat was from Chesapeke Bay and originally had copper paint. It has been stripped. The trailer is as good as new tilt roller, new tires, lights, springs and paint. No salt water damage on hull. Its extra wide and deep compared to what I find normally here. It is not riveted but molded. I would like to make it a center console if I got it. Use for fishing mostly and for tubing. What do you guys Think? What about outboard size?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Given the budget, and headaches that fiberglass can bring, I think you are right in looking at aluminum. Also, aluminum will usually be lighter and not need as large of a motor.<br /><br />I don't know if any boat is gonna be comfortable for 5 to fish from, so I would look more for a fishing boat than a sport boat. Sport boats are hard to fish from, and the more people, the harder it is.<br /><br />You don't say if you fish big rough water, or average sized lakes so it is hard to know what would suit your needs.<br /><br />I think the boat you mention for $900 with a good trailer is a viable candidate. Do you know what hp the hull is rated for?<br />You will need 80% or more of the rated hp to be satisfied with the performance. So your next challenge will be finding a decent motor of the required hp, and stay within budget.<br /><br />Any idea what brand the boat is?<br />Or age?<br />Or hull id number?<br /><br />Good used motors are not cheap.<br /><br />You might consider a big wide deep 17' or 18' jon boat, if it will handle the waters you fish.