Help, New Motor is much slower!

Maclin

Admiral
Re: Help, New Motor is much slower!

it sounds like your boat may have a 15" transom...
look at the transom on the boat in this tread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=546069
You could do something like this for pretty cheap
photo0198n.jpg

Is this a joke? Just sayin', besides the gross hack for a poor man's jack plate, I don't think the fin is mounted the right way either... :confused:

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

Is this a joke? Just sayin', besides the gross hack for a poor man's jack plate, I don't think the fin is mounted the right way either... :confused:
You said it... a poor mans jack plate, and it works!
And the poor man's trim tabs work too.
And for the fins, you better stop thinking before you hurt yourself.

jspansel

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You said it... a poor mans jack plate, and it works!
And the poor man's trim tabs work too.
And for the fins, you better stop thinking before you hurt yourself.

Should they NOT be mounted like this???

icon-43238894.jpg

0304-0130.jpg

Philster

Captain

This thread has gone horribly wrong. :facepalm:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

^+1

Scott Danforth

Staff member

your pics show your 6" too low

Maclin

Admiral

I bet that if that is the longer shaft engine then the dealer would take it back and get the right one on there since you bought new and, hey he is a dealer and supposed to know things. Find out if it is the longer one and if so then lean on him nicely at first and see what he says, this may be a learning experience for him that he needs to pay for.

Philster

Captain

As suggested earlier, that prop is buried. The dealer should be ashamed of himself, but is probably too ignorant to feel that way.

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

That is just a darn shame that any "dealer" would let a rig go out the door knowing full well that the long shaft is the wrong set up. My guess is that new merc is quite a bity of money, and uless you told him you wanted that long shaft model, he should replace it free of charge. And once he does, I would never, ever return there for any work on your boat/motor again. That is unacceptable for my $$

riptorn

Chief Petty Officer

Hey Hank, Can you get some pictures up around the top of the transom so we can see the trim setup. Looks to be at 15" but hard to tell by half of a full view picture.
That is ridiculously low. Don't feel bad we have these morons up here too. More so in between.$$

Part-time

Chief Petty Officer

It hard to tell from the angle but it looks loke a 25" extra long shaft on a 20" transom...

Low hp 25" shafts are usualy for sail boats. Not an easy motor to sell.
I think the dealer saw an occasion to dump it off on you so he wouldn't be stuck with it if that's what it is.

bullcity101

Seaman

If you're plate is 4' inches below the keel of the boat (bottom of the transom) and raising it up with the mounting holes only get you a couple inches. afraid that won't work. Sounds like the guy sold you a 20" shaft and you should have a 15" shaft. Might need to rig up something to raise your transom height to the proper height. Take a tape measure and measure how from where the engine sits on the transome (the hook so to speak)(see picture).305172.jpg Then measure the length of your transom. I would assume from what you are describing that you shaft lenght is going to be 5 inches longer than your transom.

Scott Danforth

Staff member

I agree, either go back to the marina and get them go exchange the motor, or get a jack plate. however since the Dealer farked up, I would go that route first.