Guess That Alarm!

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
https://youtu.be/i_3wv2j9FeA

I have a 1992 Johnson Silver star v6 looper. I am getting an alarm i do not recognize. What do you think it is?

The oil tank is disconnected and I premix 50:1. It’s pissing cold and does not seem to be running lean or overheating.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Checked for birds nesting in your backyard ??-------Or perhaps a " fuel restriction " warning if it has that switch on your motor.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Checked for birds nesting in your backyard ??-------Or perhaps a " fuel restriction " warning if it has that switch on your motor.

I’ll take it out today and pump the ball when it happens to see if that helps. I think it does have a fuel restriction alarm. I have heard the overheat alarm in the past and it did not sound like this one, which us why I am confused.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
The following are the normal warning horn soundings. The short sound I hear on your video isn't long enough to identify. Describe it as best you can, when it takes place, the duration, how often it sounds, etc.

(VRO Horn Warnings)
(J. Reeves)

NOTE: I retired around 1991/92. Possibly some of the later V4 engines and others may also incorporate a fuel vacuum switch that would enable a fuel restriction warning to sound as mentioned below, an unknown factor to myself.

1 - A steady constant beep = Overheating - The V/6 engines, possibly some others, have a fuel restriction warning which is also a steady constant beep.

2 - A beep every 20 or 40 seconds = oil level has dropped to 1/4 tank. (Late model engine = Every 40 seconds)

3 - A beep every other second = VRO failure, air leak in oil line, oil restriction, (anything that would result in a lack of oil being supplied to the engine).

NOTE - If the warning horn is the black plastic (overpriced) three wire type horn, the warning horn should beep once when the ignition key is turned to the ON position. If it does not, it is either faulty or someone has disconnected it (a stupid move!). At any rate, if it does not beep which indicates that the horn is non functional, find out why and do not run the engine until the problem is corrected.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
The following are the normal warning horn soundings. The short sound I hear on your video isn't long enough to identify. Describe it as best you can, when it takes place, the duration, how often it sounds, etc.

I’m heading down there now- will try to take a better video. It happens at higher rpms and chirps at me in intermittent bursts. My alarm does not sound when I put the key in the on position, and never has.

Thanks guys for the quick responses.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
https://youtu.be/Y0f1-AXva9U

Here’s another video. It happens around 5000 rpms. Any thoughts?

it has a new water pump/impeller and is peeing cold. Pumping the ball didn't seem to help.

Last edited:

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, that video/sound was better. That beep/beeping is foreign and has nothing to do with the normal warning signals.

The mention of the horn never giving you a warning beep when the key is turned to the ON position indicates that something is amiss. Check to see if the horn is indeed the overpriced black plastic horn with a built in black ground wire with two slide on terminals, and if so is the TAN wire on the slide on terminal closest to that black ground wire (correct wiring setup).

If the TAN wire is on the opposite slide on terminal, switch the wires. Now, if the wires required switching, or even if they didn't... if the horn still does not beep when you turn the key to the ON position... the horn needs to be replaced.

There is no need to put out $$$ for a horn who's only extra feature is to beep as a test when you turn the key on. You can install any two wire horn available from any electronics store, hook the horn up to those two wires, then run a wire from the TAN wire connection to one terminal of a self centering (spring loaded) toggle switch... then a wire from the other terminal of that toggle switch to ground.

With this arrangement, you can test the warning horn anytime you decide simply by engaging the toggle.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, that video/sound was better. That beep/beeping is foreign and has nothing to do with the normal warning signals.

Thanks again Joe - I’m pulling it this afternoon when my ramp is usable and I’ll be able to get deeper into it. I’ve attached a picture of the horn. I don’t think it is the kind you are describing. Not much on my boat is of the overpriced variety.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
[No message]

Attachments

• photo313381.jpg
    photo313381.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 2

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
FYI I called an evinrude dealer nearby and was told the fuel restriction alarms were not added until the late 90s so please correct me if I am wrong, but that only leaves overheating, oil, or a faulty buzzer as the cause for the alarm.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
FYI I called an evinrude dealer nearby and was told the fuel restriction alarms were not added until the late 90s so please correct me if I am wrong, but that only leaves overheating, oil, or a faulty buzzer as the cause for the alarm.

Okay FYI :) I'm correcting you. The fuel restriction vacuum switch was first incorporated on all of the V6 & V8 engines way back in 1984 along with the VRO. Beware that dealer you spoke of! Your engine is definitely equipped with it. Look for a small fuel line leading to a weird looking electronic switch with one wire attached to it, usually in back of and near the top portion of the electric starter.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Okay FYI :) I'm correcting you. The fuel restriction vacuum switch was first incorporated on all of the V6 & V8 engines way back in 1984 along with the VRO. Beware that dealer you spoke of! Your engine is definitely equipped with it. Look for a small fuel line leading to a weird looking electronic switch with one wire attached to it, usually in back of and near the top portion of the electric starter.

Joe, I can't thank you enough for the info. I very much appreciate your responses.

I tried pumping the ball while underway and it might have helped a little bit but the alarm still chirped. The boat has a new gas tank, lines, and primer bulb. In your experience, would a fuel restriction cause any noticable change in the motor's behavior? Because I was at max rpm/speed and it seemed to be running perfect. 40mph in my 20ft mako at over 5000 (seemingly steady) rpm. It sounded good.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Actually I should have stated the location of that vacuum switch as being to the rear area of the electric starter rather than in back of it... in back of it might have led you to think it would be between the starter and the block. Hopefully you knew what I meant.

That sound came across to me as you describe... a chirp rather than a beep. I'm inclined to think that possibly the horn is at fault. To test that theory, temporarily remove the TAN wire from the horn for just one run to see if it still "chirps" being disconnected like that. If it does, the horn is faulty.

Also to be sure the horn is in a true circuit (wire back on the horn)... With the key in the ON position (engine NOT running), ground out the heat sensor at the cylinder head... the horn should beep constant and steady. Did it?

To answer your question... a fuel restriction would have a tendency to draw the fuel primer bulb flat... perhaps not completely flat but more-so draw it in somewhat... and by the same token, the tapering off of fuel would cause a drop of rpms, lack of power, a slowing down of the craft. It would engage that vacuum switch I speak of and should result in a constant steady beeeeeeep (same as overheating).

Let us know the results of the above tests.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Really ----Your dealer said that the 92 model did not have the fuel restriction warning horn ????

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
To answer your question... a fuel restriction would have a tendency to draw the fuel primer bulb flat... perhaps not completely flat but more-so draw it in somewhat... and by the same token, the tapering off of fuel would cause a drop of rpms, lack of power, a slowing down of the craft. It would engage that vacuum switch I speak of and should result in a constant steady beeeeeeep (same as overheating).

Let us know the results of the above tests.

Thanks for the clarification - I will be able to check in 2 days when I get back to the boat. Unfortunately I can not get to my boat before then.

A mechanically inclined friend also mentioned that it may be the fuel pump failing causing a fuel restriction. I have a spare sitting around from a parts engine so perhaps I will change that out as well. Hoping it's just the horn though - I have a new one on the way to my house now.

Thanks again and I will let everyone know the results when I get back to it. This forum has been a huge help. Best on the net.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Really ----Your dealer said that the 92 model did not have the fuel restriction warning horn ????

Yes... a bit alarming... It's not a dealer I have ever used, but my father has an E-tec that he has had serviced there (and had a great experience for what it's worth.)

I called and asked them about the fuel restriction warning history and was told by the tech -through the service desk person -that it was added in the mid-late 90s. Perhaps there was a mistake in communication or they are not familiar with the older engines. Either way I will not be calling them again for advice again given yours and Joe's input.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Very difficult to find a 25 year old at the service desk with 40 years of experience.-----And sometimes the dealers are not interested in the DIY type of questions.------Not much financial gain in that.

AJW

Seaman Apprentice
Very difficult to find a 25 year old at the service desk with 40 years of experience.-----And sometimes the dealers are not interested in the DIY type of questions.------Not much financial gain in that.

Just to be clear - I meant that the service desk gal went back and asked the tech, then relayed that message to me - but definitely a chance there was some miscommunication involved.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
She did the right thing by asking someone.-------Maybe the tech had a busy day.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
A mechanically inclined friend also mentioned that it may be the fuel pump failing causing a fuel restriction. I have a spare sitting around from a parts engine so perhaps I will change that out as well. Hoping it's just the horn though - I have a new one on the way to my house now.

Whenever the oil line is disturbed as in changing the VRO, etc.... Be sure to prime the pump as follows:
(Priming The VRO Pump)
(J. Reeves)

When hooking up or installing a VRO whether it is a new or original VRO pump, it must be primed in order to dispel any air that might be in the oil line.

Have the Oil line attached to the engine fitting BUT detached from the VRO. Add a piece of fuel hose if necessary to the oil line so that it can be aimed into some sort of container.

Pump the oil primer bulb, catching the oil flowing out of the line into the container until you are absolutely sure that you have rid the oil line of every bit of air that might have been trapped there.

Now, connect the oil line to the VRO and secure it. When the oil line is secured, apply pressure to the oil primer bulb ONE TIME only. That's it.