Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

JoLin

Vice Admiral
Re: Good Samaritans getting the shaft.

As usual, a fearless objective news-maker (not reporter- that's a dead concept) has reported precisely one side of the story. No rebuttal from LE, not even a comment to the effect that the news outlet tried to contact them.

Can't any of you think of any reason why the good samaritans might have earned themselves a ticket? I can imagine one or two.

I'll reserve judgement until somebody presents the truth of it.

My .02

skargo

Banned

As usual, a fearless objective news-maker (not reporter- that's a dead concept) has reported precisely one side of the story. No rebuttal from LE, not even a comment to the effect that the news outlet tried to contact them.

Can't any of you think of any reason why the good samaritans might have earned themselves a ticket? I can imagine one or two.

I'll reserve judgement until somebody presents the truth of it.

My .02
Are you LEO?

QC

Supreme Mariner

My position:

1) Human life is more valuable than animals

2) If someone got hurt/killed rescuing these guys if one fell in, that would be bad. Not worth it for a deer.

3) The DNR guy should've recommended they put the life jackets on to prevent #2

4) Ticket was unnecessary

5) Please relax or this thread will be gone, no moron stuff . . . ;)

aspeck

Staff member

I see both sides of the equation. As an emergency responder, I hate the fact that these guys tried to save a deer with no safety equipment and no pfd's. If they went in the drink, who would be called obn to risk their lives???? Don't intentionally put yourself in harms way for an animal ... you are more important than they are.

We deal with crashes because people swerve to miss a deer and hit another vehicle or a pole head on. Or they swerve to miss a squirrel or rabbit.

The actions of the DNR officer seem to be over the top and he probably should have stopped them before hand and explained the severity of the water temperatures and the risks and need for safety gear if they are going to attempt the rescue, and if you chose to do it, I will have to fine you ... something like that.

Definitely enough "non-thinking" on both sides.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Great minds . . . ^^^^^^^

Summer Fun

Banned

Guys isn't it our first instinct to help when we think its wrong to see harm to anything ??.

Its in our nature to do so. :).

no moron stuff . . . ;)
Its winter time for most of us. You'll see a lot more of it . :D

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Guys isn't it our first instinct to help when we think its wrong to see harm to anything ??.

Its in our nature to do so. :).

Unfortunately now days there are just not as many that don't think of themselves more & it is considered bad to help a animal since they are supposed to be beneath us humans which is so far from true IMO.

Once again a fine example of LEOs not really looking out for safety & really just being Tax Revenuer Agents. To think some people wonder why their is a fast growing discontent & mis-trust in this country against LEOs of all types. It is shameful but true that our Government & most of its agents only care about what $$$$s they can extort from us

There is absolutely nothing wrong with people trying to save an animal IMO it shows some of us humans don't just think of our selves. They should be getting a bravery award instead of a tax bill what a disgrace.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!!

angus63

Captain

LadyFish posted this . :)

N.Y. life vest law mandatory

Albany, New York - November 2, 2010
New York officials are reminding people about a new law meant to keep everyone safe on the cold winter waters.

Life vests are now mandatory for anyone riding in a boat less than 21 feet long, from November to May first. It's especially important during the winter because the frigid water can impair your ability to swim, breathe properly and even stay conscious. This year seven boaters in New York state, who weren't wearing life vests, died in cold-water accidents.

Caused a big stir with the small boat inshore blackfish season. Cannot argue with the logic. I fish over 21', but the majority of fisherman in small boats do not comply. Authorities do not patrol regularly after Thanksgiving so not convinced of the effectiveness.

Summer Fun

Banned

Once again a fine example of LEOs not really looking out for safety & really just being Tax Revenuer Agents.
Lets not go to the political side of this . They'll lock this tread quicker than you can blink your eyes. :D

Summer Fun

Banned

Authorities do not patrol regularly after Thanksgiving so not convinced of the effectiveness.
If they have to come and rescue your butt out here. You pay for their full cost to save you. :)

I know sometimes you can't stop stupid so they pay for it in the end $$$$$. :)

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

I see both sides of the equation. As an emergency responder, I hate the fact that these guys tried to save a deer with no safety equipment and no pfd's. If they went in the drink, who would be called obn to risk their lives???? Don't intentionally put yourself in harms way for an animal ... you are more important than they are.

We deal with crashes because people swerve to miss a deer and hit another vehicle or a pole head on. Or they swerve to miss a squirrel or rabbit.

The actions of the DNR officer seem to be over the top and he probably should have stopped them before hand and explained the severity of the water temperatures and the risks and need for safety gear if they are going to attempt the rescue, and if you chose to do it, I will have to fine you ... something like that.

Definitely enough "non-thinking" on both sides.

1) Part of the problem is that this was a deer....cute and "friendly". If that had been a bear through the ice, we don't have a thread....:eek:

2) I would probably have tried to rescue the deer....I have twice had to pull my own dogs out of that situation. But I can't rationally debate that it would any sense to try.

3) Since many are conjecturing about the LEO motives, I'll throw in mine. I would bet that there is a policy of zero-tolerance for this kind of event and the LEO has very explicit instructions from above and has no discretionary wiggle-room at all.

QC

Supreme Mariner

So what does that say about us?
That we nailed it and the debate should be over :eek: Not the first time we've been on the same side of an issue ;) How is ice cold venison anyway Art? Sorry all, I have not interest in finding out :redface:

mscher

Lieutenant

1)
3) Since many are conjecturing about the LEO motives, I'll throw in mine. I would bet that there is a policy of zero-tolerance for this kind of event and the LEO has very explicit instructions from above and has no discretionary wiggle-room at all.

If what the violators said was true and the Officer was witnessing the operation, then he would only be doing his job correctly, if he STOPPED them from making the rescue, until they had the proper saftey equipment.

Seems like the $90 ticket, was the primary focus.

aspeck

Staff member

How is ice cold venison anyway Art? Sorry all, I have not interest in finding out :redface:

I like mine rare, and on occasion have eaten it "ice cold". Very good. Even though you are not interested, just thought I would share.:p Just think tartare in chunks ...

skargo

Banned

If what the violators said was true and the Officer was witnessing the operation, then he would only be doing his job correctly, if he STOPPED them from making the rescue, until they had the proper saftey equipment.

Seems like the $90 ticket, was the primary focus.

And that is the point!

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

what dudley do-right should have done is simply remind them of the life vest laws and thanked them for their fine efforts to rescue the wildlife....hope they reverse it in court!..

in the interview with one of the rescuers, they stated the the dnr "officer" stood there and watched them walk in and out of the river several times, without saying anything, writing the tickets, only when they were done.

Cops see vehicles speeding all day long. They are not required to write each and every one of them a ticket.

Just another jerk with a badge, imo.

ditto!!!!!!!

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Are you LEO?

No, I'm not- just another slob who's sick and tired of sensationalistic reporting with nothing or half-truth behind it. The citizens of this country seem to be losing their ability to think objectively. We blindly accept what we're told without questioning the source or motive behind the 'factual report'

Didn't really mean to get on a soapbox- it's just one of those things that ticks me off.

mcgyver210

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lets not go to the political side of this . They'll lock this tread quicker than you can blink your eyes. :D

SORRY believe it or not I tried not to be as opinionated as I can be but how do you comment on government related post without being political?

45Auto

Commander

Aspeck said:
Don't intentionally put yourself in harms way for an animal ... you are more important than they are.

Is this some new law I haven't heard of yet, or is it just you in charge of deciding everyone's morals for them now? I believe I'll make my own decisions about risking my life, thanks anyway.

?If you have men who will exclude any of God?s creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men.?

St. Francis of Assisi