Will the price of gas make you spend less time on the water?

Will the price of gas make you spend less time on the water?

• I will not go out as much.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • No I will cut back other places.

Votes: 59 59.0%
  • I will have friends that go out with me chip in on gas.

Votes: 10 10.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

angler53

Seaman
Re: Will the price of gas make you spend less time on the water?

Since I started bringing my lunch to work with me. Thats $40/wk I'm not spending right there.

Buying a brand new boat and making payments may have been a dumb move but, considering I was blowing $100 to $140 a week on food and other junk {beer}. That money was converted to payment and insurance on the boat. A mans got to grow up and control himself, right :)

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I also vote for adding some categories such as -- take up sailing again! I also plan to use the kayak more. But for the precious two week vacation I'll use the Scout pretty much as always. Maybe explore some other lakes too.
As with some others, just getting to the dock and home is an $80 expenditure.

As for saving some money -- doing my best to take lunch to work now too. This also helps me lose weight because I'm lazy and so can't be bothered to make much for lunch. :D

Big savings on commuting since my wife now works similar hours as me and we can commute together. (We will either be pregnant or divorced inside of a year...:p) But as a result of this newfound quality family time I haven't even started the other car for a whole week now whereas this time two months ago I'd have filled the tank at least once for $60 in that week. Right there I'm $240 a month ahead. Think I'll go out for lunch tomorrow to celebrate!

External Combustion

Chief Petty Officer

For my 30 footer it cost $60 to drag it to the lake and back. No fuel costs once there. The 15 footer costs $11.70 to get it there and back and $40 at wide open throttle (which I rarely do). The 14 footer cost the same $11.70 and $6.75 an hour when I don't row. The 19 foot sailboat uses the same tow figure as the other small ones and costs about three frustrations per mile as we dodge other traffic.

I am blessed with cheap transportation on the water and I am satisfied with what I have. The only statement I need to make to other boaters is "glad to see you!"

I probably will spend more time on the water this year than last.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Big savings on commuting since my wife now works similar hours as me and we can commute together. (We will either be pregnant or divorced inside of a year...:p) But as a result of this newfound quality family time I haven't even started the other car for a whole week now whereas this time two months ago I'd have filled the tank at least once for $60 in that week. Right there I'm $240 a month ahead. Think I'll go out for lunch tomorrow to celebrate!

This is funny. My wife and I started doing the same thing. Her commute is close to 40 miles and mine 30 but it's on the way to hers so she drops me off and picks me up. The good: we have a 10 month old so the time spent together in the car with time to just talk is great, also for me she's the one that has to get into the hot car. By the time she picks me up the A/C is cranking and I never have to be uncomfortable! The bad: I never have access to a car when I'm at work which sucks.

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I can't go less as I only went once last year before it broke, and I've been out once this year. However, the price of gas doesn't make a difference, yet. It's a 4 cylinder and gets good gas mileage. :D

Now, the Motorhome on the other hand...

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

No less boatin for me.....
Lets see 32 Scarab 125 gallons = $500 -1 day boatin
22 Celebrity 50 gallons = $200 - 1 weekend boatin'
2004 Yukon Denali $130 tank gas..

Wife & Daughter's enjoyment = $ Priceless !!!

wgoodhoofd

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For me -- well, my parents mostly -- we might cut back a little, but with only having the boat for 2 full months, what's another $50 or so.

Also, we believe that on our lake, the boats will just get bigger as prices go higher. The people with money who don't care about gas will be out, while those with smaller boats will be at the dock.

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I love boating too much to cut back. We have a short season here and I save all winter to run as much of it as I can. Only thing holding me back is our crappy weather.

PennStateZ

Cadet

Scoutabout, what model is that in your avatar?

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

My '04 Tundra 4.7 has been getting 19-21 mpg since I bought it. Don't try to beat everyone away at the lights, start breaking early, etc. We all know how to drive for mileage. While towing it gets 17-18. My new to us rig was bought with mileage in mind. Older lightweight Renken, smaller 85 Yammy and a good day boating costs us $50-$60. As there is little else that I enjoy more than a good day on the water with family, that cost is more than reasonable. Also, friends seem to want to chip in a little more often, altho I don't ask them to.

licketdsplit756

Petty Officer 1st Class

if the cost was higher we would all do the same thing. theres a love for fishing that almost out beats the love for my wife. almost lol:p

marine4003

Lieutenant Junior Grade

if the cost was higher we would all do the same thing. theres a love for fishing that almost out beats the love for my wife. almost lol:p

You beat your wife?????:D:D:D

lol - i have the same love/addiction:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

The cost of gas is not going to alter my boating habits. I will still go out the same as I always have, maybe even more. Both my boats are small, a 40hp 14' and a 85hp 16'. The MFG has a 14 gallon tank, and filled at a gas station costs about $60 and is good for about 90 - 100 miles depending on load and speed. The Bayliner with its old 85hp is not as economical, but my fuel useage from last year indicates that I should expect about 5 miles per gallon.

What I am NOT going to do is buy a bigger boat and a bigger vehicle to tow it. I'll keep to my little fun machines for now and outfit them they way I want so we can enjoy them to the max.

wuttja

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Being a new boat owner I don't have any previous year to compare my habits too, but we go out every weekend, as long as the weather cooperates. I don't think we would spend more time on the water if gas was cheaper. What I've noticed in SE Wisconsin is that folks tend to buzz around, doing some tubing, skiing, etc. and then anchor up in some shallow water and just relax. No gas being used up, but enjoying the water and maybe listening to music or reading while catching a few rays. That's what we've been doing, and I couldn't be happier. Nothing better than getting out on the water and just relaxing a little after working all week. :cool:

greenhorn1

Seaman Apprentice

when i bought my boat it was half full so i add $80.so every time i go i put $40 or $30 of gas.Its better to have then need.

Rock Hall

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our marina just announced it will sell all fuel to slip holders at cost through the 15th. They said high fuel prices were keeping people from enjoying their boats. Not to take anything away from this great deal, we all know that getting the boats out on the water is cheaper than the electric they are burning sitting in the slip every weekend with the A/C blasting. A win-win for all. Suggest this to your marina owners.

BMOLCHANY

Petty Officer 1st Class

The price does not affect us too much due to short trips.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Nah. It's only money and it's an activity that my whole family likes. Finding something that we all like to do is well worth the cost.

bchboater

Cadet

No, I can cut back by ordering 1 less drink at dinner, eat out 1 less time per month, no popcorn at the movies, or spending less on other non essentials. Boating is one of my true last pleasures. Even with the increase in fuel costs, it is a fraction of the entire ownership cost of our boat. Why work like crazy to not be able to take your family out and enjoy.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.