Good Samaritan Towing Regulations?

security6

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Good Samaritan Towing Regulations?

If you accept some cash even nominal or a six pack after the tow it is considered under the federal law to be towing for consideration, thereby doing so without being licensed IS breaking the law which as you state could cause issues with insurance coverage and for is commercial gain. See my earlier post for the exact citation of where you can find it in the US Code.

I looked at the US Code you cited, it doesn't say anything about accepting some cash or a six pack after a tow. It does talk about towing a disabled vehicle for consideration. It doesn't say anything about accepting a gift for helping someone out.

There is a difference between making a deal (e.g. I will tow you if you give me X) and accepting a gift (e.g. I don't owe you anything for the tow and you cannot make me give you anything for the tow, but I feel like giving you X). If you want to exercise unnecessary caution and not accept a gift that's fine, but it certainly isn't illegal to accept a gift.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

When I originally posted this, I was thinking more about safety issues so perhaps putting "regulations" in the title confused things. It wasn't meant to be a discussion about lawsuits and who gets paid for what. There have been some pretty good responses regarding tow ropes, how to tie off the lines, how to avoid damage, and general safety including PFD's.

Thanks to all who contributed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The name of the topic is Good Samaritan Towing Regulations, and the discussion that ensued involves "Good Samritan" laws, which do NOT apply to boats, insurance issues, which can be important to the topic but seldom are, and federal regulations, which apparently don't apply. Oh, and the pirate's code.

"safe methods of towing a disabled boat" would be an interesting discussion, too, provided everyone describes the sizes of the vessels, the distance and the weather/water conditions.

AguaSki

Chief Petty Officer

I think every situation stands on its own and has to be evaluated in the moment. Last summer I was the first to arrive on the scene of a boat that had just sunk. The family on the boat was new to boating and they forgot the plug. They only made it about 300 yards from the ramp before sinking, but this was plenty far from the shore to be dangerous for them. This boat was filled with 3 women (2 of whom could not swim), and 5 kids who were all under the age of 10. Only 1 of the women had a PFD, and she was nearly full term pregnant. What ensued was an immediate need for rescuing assistance. I don't have any type of first responder training, but I can be reasonable with my thoughts and actions, so my assistance was greatly improvised. My wife and I sprang into action, and with me in the water wearing a PFD we were able to move everyone safely onto my boat. During this rescue operation I had no thought for any liability I might be incurring because providing rescuing assistance was the right thing to do. With that said, I have towed others and I have been towed. Fortunately every towing situation I have been in was a fairly short distance (less than 5 miles), and the risks seemed small. But if I was faced with a decision to provide long distance towing assistance, I would try to render as much help as I could without actually providing the towing service. I was several miles out on Lake Powell and witnessed a National Park Service Ranger decline towing a stranded boater, but he did offer to call in a professional tow. At Lake Powell the NPS is the only public service agency operating on the lake, and if they have a sense for their liability, then private boaters should also. Since that time I have adopted the example of this Ranger as my personal standard when I encounter a disabled boat. But just like I did not hesitate to rescue the occupants of a sunk boat, I would tow another boater any distance if I determine that the boat and its occupants are facing danger. Absent any type of immediate danger, my assistance will stop short of becoming a towing service. If I determine I am not willing to tow, then I will assist in making any and all towing arrangements for the stranded boater. My feeling is to leave the towing to the professionals, but don't be afraid to tow if the disabled boat and its occupants are facing danger. Simply being an inconvenienced and disabled boater is not dangerous in most situations, and this will not cause me to feel compelled to become a towing service.

skysurfer2010

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm pretty sure NJ has a law stating you must help your fellow boaters out in distress. Either way I live by Karma. I'm not going to worry about getting sued if I see someone in need of help. I might need that help myself one day.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Aquaski is right about assessing danger. There is no danger in towing a boat under 20' in normal conditions. Even a popped cleat or bow eye isn't going to do anything.

Saying "i'm not towing you b/c I might get sued" would be like Aquaski saying,, "I'm not picking up the passengers from the sunk boat b/c I would have 2 people over my capacity plate limit."

The decision whether to tow and interfere with your day is an entirely different conversation. The only corrent answer is "it depends."

skargo

Banned

This is a great discussion! Aquaski, great points!

F14CRAZY

Ensign

What if something happens to the Good Samaritan or their vessel? Can they sue the person they're rendering assistance to?

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have been towed at least once a season since I have been a boat owner (7 years)..

Have you looked into getting a better mechanic ... :)

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wish I could hit the lottery. It's nice to dream big!

If not Sue someone that was trying to help you?

"Sorry not pointing any fingers."

But have we not, all of us had a time of need? Has the outcome caused a broken line, skinned knuckle, broken cleat, cash for gas?

Were we not all thankful for getting out of that situation?

I drove 10 miles out of my way, just this last winter. Because I heard someone was stuck on the ice. In a "Minivan" (why be on the ice in a minivan?) When I was concerned in a 4x4 plow truck.

I pulled them out, got them mobile, with a thank you but no compensation. In the mean time, lost sight of my 12 year old son on a snowmobile that we went to do a little riding on 10 miles prior.

I searched high and low on the lake, everywhere the truck could go, 2 hours later, I called out for help on my VHF. 15 minutes later there was 6 snowmobiles helping look for him, and another truck to tow me out of where I was stuck. We found him right at dark, right where I should have picked him up, but he went there behind a big group of islands out of sight.

So I can say, that helping people in trouble feels good, people helping you when you are in trouble feels GREAT!

imported_John o

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Had the boat on the lake for the first day Saturday.

Cruising around the party cove just kind of checking things out and seeing who was there (and playing Joust with floating beer cans etc. We pixked up quite a bunch of junk) when I heard someone calling.

I'm kind of hard of hearing so I motored over to where they were and he asked for a tow in. They'd been out there with a starter that wouldn't start for a few hours.

We managed to get him towed back to the marina and even figured out how to get him back on his trailer with anyone getting too wet.

All in all a good day. The guy and his date were very appreciative and God will repay my kindness eventually.

Besides that, any thing done on the boat is a good thing.

wca_tim

Lieutenant Commander

do you believe in Karma? if someone's stuck, help them out - I (and many others on here) would stop and tow you in.

The last tow I got was from a guy in an STV running leaded racing gas - hardly suited to tow us, but he sure did - up the river to the next ramp and then ran me all the way back down to the ramp where the truck was parked.

I learned later that the boat runs in the 130's...

we were paddling along best we could and he cut the engine as he coasted along side us and said "Gonna be kinda hard to get on plane like that"
next time you are tempted to pass someone in need by when you know you can help just remember that one day it may be you, your wife, your kids, etc... that need a hand.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

2 for 1 deal there !!!
Help as you would like to be helped is how I approach it.
Never left anyone out there dead in the water and never will. Never charged anyone and never will. I have however on a couple of occasions been passed a case of beer that was left at our marina store for me by a grateful boater that I towed in.

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think you did the right thing,You can't help it if there are other @ssholes out there !!!

Summer Fun

Banned

The only thing I make them do is .... Tie the tow rope to their boat.
This way if something gets ripped off or broken its their fault.