Garmin Good and Bad news

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Ya, but that always makes it more fun and interesting!

:D

In the mean time AllDodge is making loop the loops in Port Clinton because the old school maps tore on the crease. :watermelon:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I think there is some type secret cult for young girls that live in our community that the local teen girls have to join. I have yet to see a teen girl driving in or out of our community without a cell phone stuck to their heads or texting. I haven't seen the teen guys doing that, just the teen girls. And that makes me wonder what can they honestly have to talk about 24/7? And yes the texting drivers are everywhere even with laws stating it is against the law. I guess that law was useless to even pass. :noidea: I think they easily could install accelerometer sensor(s) in every cell/smart phone, so that if it indicates the phone is moving faster then 5 MPH it shuts off all incoming and out going texts and phone calls. That way if there is a real emergency, they can pull off the road and call for help. Makes me really wonder how we all survived without such things over the decades. Wow were we seriously lucky. :facepalm: JMHO!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
This is a Double Din - DinDin. :D Read all about it here.

Backup cameras are not required equipment. Starting in May 2018 that changes.

Boy, as this thread made a few loop the loops.

Ahhhh, so it's just a dimension. I believe my wife has a double din...... :eek::facepalm::bolt:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I think they easily could install accelerometer sensor(s) in every cell/smart phone, so that if it indicates the phone is moving faster then 5 MPH it shuts off all incoming and out going texts and phone calls.
What if the passenger wants to use their cell phone? I think that is the biggest issue to keep them from jamming in the car.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What if the passenger wants to use their cell phone? I think that is the biggest issue to keep them from jamming in the car.

In the old days we looked on the paper map, drove to the nearest town and looked for a payphone. Also took the opportunity to feed and water the mules. :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
bruceb, Personally, I'd rather have all the passengers a little inconvenienced then the problems folks are causing with phones and texting these days. JMHO!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
bruceb, Personally, I'd rather have all the passengers a little inconvenienced then the problems folks are causing with phones and texting these days. JMHO!
I agree with that. We are in the minority.

bigdee

Commander
Yeah..high tech isn't for everybody. :) I actually hated GoogleMaps for a long time. One of the reasons I wasn't using it and was using my Garmin until a year ago.

My mom probably wouldn't like Google Maps either but she is 82.

If you ever travel abroad and walk around a big city, having google maps in your pocket in "walk" mode is pretty outstanding. When I was in Italy was the easiest way to walk around to find places.

Nothing to do with technology Bruce. It is lack of technology (signal) in rural areas. Unfortunately this is where you need GPS.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Well after hours of frustration last night trying to update my maps, I did finally get a message saying that firefox is no longer compatible with Garmins update plug in!

:facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Well after hours of frustration last night trying to update my maps, I did finally get a message saying that firefox is no longer compatible with Garmins update plug in!

:facepalm:
Newer Garmin devices require you to download Garmin Express. Was that mentioned at all? Then you use Garmin Express to load up the update.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Newer Garmin devices require you to download Garmin Express. Was that mentioned at all? Then you use Garmin Express to load up the update.

That was when I finally got the message after trying to download Express, it would start the download at a decent speed and just get continually slower, and never saved anything to the device or my computer, I have a trouble ticket in with them to see what is going on and how I might be able to update the maps on this one.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
That was when I finally got the message after trying to download Express, it would start the download at a decent speed and just get continually slower, and never saved anything to the device or my computer, I have a trouble ticket in with them to see what is going on and how I might be able to update the maps on this one.
That's weird. Garmin Express should be a stand alone program. I use Garmin Express for updates on my cycling GPS all the time and I only use Firefox as a browser. Of course my updates are tiny compared to a map download.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
That's weird. Garmin Express should be a stand alone program.

That is what I thought as well, as my device is brand new, I am not worried about it, but would be interested in what they have to say.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Garmin makes good hardware but their software team leaves a little to be desired sometimes. I know the different groups write their own software and firmware but it can be really buggy, especially on a new device. Make sure you always check for firmware updates once you get this figured out.

Last edited:

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Seems like every time I need to update my Garmin maps, they've changed the scheme for getting data from the computer to the GPS device. First it was an app, then a browser plug-in, then an app... I can never remember which is current, and I seem to always have at least two versions on my computer at any one time.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I think they easily could install accelerometer sensor(s) in every cell/smart phone, so that if it indicates the phone is moving faster then 5 MPH it shuts off all incoming and out going texts and phone calls. That way if there is a real emergency, they can pull off the road and call for help. Makes me really wonder how we all survived without such things over the decades. Wow were we seriously lucky. :facepalm: JMHO!

That would be a drag for all the folks who use mass transit...

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Are there better iPhone apps than Google maps?
iPhone maps is a lot more user friendly than Goggle maps. The latest OS updated added "service" specific search functions. Restaurants, fuel, shopping etc.

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
So as this thread has made full circle on Garmins and Phone Apps, What about OnStar? Besides being standard in GM, it is also an aftermarket receiver that is available?