Frak.....cut through my hull with a reciprocating saw

Badweed

Seaman
Re: Frak.....cut through my hull with a reciprocating saw

I checked the local boat shop.....no cab-o-sil in house. Tried to get the wife to pick up some talcum powder, but they're all made with corn starch. Can I really use this to thicken up the resin for that first pb coat....or should I wait and order some?

It's too bloody cold to fiberglass today anyway.

Steve

Steve,

I would wait and get the cabosil. While you are at it you might as well order some 1/4" chopped strand. Like anything, using the right stuff makes it easier to mix and apply. Where are you located? I have some left over stuff that I will give to you if you are close by. Send me a PM.

Badweed

Seaman

Hey Greg....thanks for the offer. I'm in north Idaho...so too far I think. Not a big deal to order it.....I'm just interested in erasing my reciprocating sins asap. LOL.

I'll take your advice and order it. Do I need 1/4" chopped or milled fibers?

Steve

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Gel paste alone for any repair will eventually fail. You need to spray it ( to encapsulate from water intrution ).

Myself I would

1. prep the cut area about 6" around the cut. ( inside )
2. Die grind the cut inside to bevel the hard edge off.
3. fill the cut with "mohair" ( poly resin,cabosil and shaved up chopped mat ).
4. without delay lam with 1 layer of 1.5 oz mat and 2-3 layers of 1708.
5. after cured goto the outside and bevel-grind approx. 3-4 " around cut ( you should have a smoth surface now because the crack is allready filled with mohair from the inside ).
6. lam the outside with 3-4 layers of 1.5 oz mat.
7. sand/fair.
8. fill pinholes with poly glazing putty ( do not use the putty to fill lows ).
9. final sand/fair with 80 grit on repair.
10. prep area around repair with 180-220 grit.
11. spray gel-coat with preval sprayer.
12. wetsand and buff.

Good as new.

YD.

PS. Remember that my suggestions or opinions are how I do them. Its not my boat and have the peace of mind knowing when the job is done its done right for the life of the boat ( untill the guy hits the next channel marker ;) ).

This is how its done m8..no talc..no cotton flock...and no flour power..

Do what you want now..I have told you how and what..its your choice..The fillers are not so much in question..its the lams ..

Peace and good luck m8..

YD.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

While you may (will) need some putty at some point during the rebuild, you don't need any to repair the cut, at least not at this stage. You can 99% of it easily with no putty, the finish work is where it may be useful, but it isn't required.

If you are filling the slice area, then you will need the 1/4" chopped strand. Milled fibers are more like a heavy glass dust and is better for non-structial small gap and hole filling.

Badweed

Seaman

I received my order from tap plastics on Thursday and finally got some time to work on the boat. The chopped mat and the cabosil worked great to make a putty. I also ordered some structural resin to repair the cut, and that worked really well. I added the mkep according to the instructions...ie. one ounce per quart, but this gelled up in about 10 minutes and it's definetly not 70 degrees outside, so I cut the catalyst in half which seemed to work way better.

Anyway, thanks again for everyone's help. I agree with YD, this needs to be an outside repair as well. But I'm going to work on the inside of the boat for a bit before tackling the outside repairs.

Let me know what you all think.

Steve
030.jpg031.JPG

oops!

Supreme Mariner

lol,,,,,holy smokes.......everyone is in here....

well.....i think we have the answer to this one

Nice job Bad. Not too hard right? Yeah definitely add glass to the outside also. By the time you get to that spot again you will be a pro. Then you can put your finer skills to work finishing the outside.