Formula 27PC Complete Power plant rebuild

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Nice work, you'll be floating in no time :thumb:

Agreed very well done little fiberglassing some gel and poof better than new. I know it takes time to build up some steam and cut a perfectly good transom but once you get there it's a easy fix

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you keep it on plane, you dont even have to seal the holes......:lol:

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys, looking forward to getting it done. Good one Scott :laugh: Today I plan to get everything epoxied in. Tomorrow I hope to be able to drill screw holes for the tips and do some cosmetic stuff. Going to Louisville tomorrow to do some work that Mom needs done. Cross fingers but maybe fire it up on Friday :rockon:

alldodge

Staff member
Had two layers of CSM trying to take up space and to help bond. After getting CSM soaked in place then slide in the pieces. After that noticed some of the resin was coming out of the cracks. Took blue tape and did a quick wipe down and covered it up. Then noticed the half moos were not laying real flat. SO took wood and screwed it in place then held the piece tight and put on into it.

Photo655.jpg

Put one layer of CSM on the inside and ground paint away around the outside edge
Photo656.jpg

Should be dry enough to remove the wood in later afternoon, hitting 92 today.

alldodge

Staff member
your getting your motor dirty

I know :mad: for the bazzillion'ith time, :frusty: if I only knew then what I know now. I want to hose it down, but don't see me doing that. I'll vac and use rags to wipe it down. Hose it down another day.

The epoxy has already started setting up so I removed the wood and tape. Broke out some 24hour 5200 and started filling old screw holes and a few voids.

alldodge

Staff member
Did some sanding this AM and there is a few areas where it has some pits.

Photo657.jpg

Drilled my holes for the tips. Mixed up some epoxy with caposil and used a 12 inch drywall knife and gave it a quick skim coat. When it dries I could put barrier coat and then bottom paint, but don't want to put it off for another day for the barrier coat to dry. This area is above the water line anyway.

Photo659.jpg

alldodge

Staff member
Damm sloppy right he is.....:ranger:......................:behindsofa:

I highly suspect that in 24 hour's no one would even suspect the holes were modifyed slightly..

Yup, got it cleanup, not perfect but good for now.

Painted and installed the tips and had a little luck, the exhaust hose came in today, so got it cut to fit and installed. I don't want to say this to loud, but I think everything is ready, so I'm going to try to get her started tomorrow. Have storms coming in and if they manage to move out I'll give it a go. Fingers crossed and all that.
Photo660.jpg

Last edited:

tpenfield

Staff member
Bondo has a set up like that . . . Pipes go a bit lower if I recall :)

alldodge

Staff member
Bondo has a set up like that . . . Pipes go a bit lower if I recall :)

From what I've been reading the pipes need to go at least 8 inches down to make it quite when at idle. I had to raise my holes about 3 inches so now they will only be under about 5 inches. Might have to add some to them, but I'll figure that one out next year

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could always bring along us fine folk from iboats on the maiden voyage. that would bring the stern down about 3" then again a few bikini clad girls and a cooler of beer would probably be more enjoyable for you..... looking good.

alldodge

Staff member
could always bring along us fine folk from iboats on the maiden voyage. that would bring the stern down about 3" then again a few bikini clad girls and a cooler of beer would probably be more enjoyable for you..... looking good.

The beer will be there but the bikini's will need to be seen from afar with dark shades. I've had way to may looks and knots on my head when I start looking around a bit to much :eyebrows: if ya know what I mean

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
The beer will be there but the bikini's will need to be seen from afar with dark shades. I've had way to may looks and knots on my head when I start looking around a bit to much :eyebrows: if ya know what I mean
smackbum.gif

an19.gif

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Rain stopped, had a beer, pulled it out, and she roared to life. Sounds real good. :victorious:
Had another beer and now get ready to put her back in the water

alldodge

Staff member
Eddie just left and the tune is set. WOT is at 5050 at 46mph with about 20 percent slip (heavy boat). As before I wanted it to come up out of the water better and it does, over all I'm pleased with how it comes up now. Will try the original 24 pitch props some time later to see what the change is. So should have stuck with my original 2.0 drive all along. Guess I have a 1.65 lower to sell now or put another gear set in it.

tpenfield

Staff member
Good stuff. You must be happy to be back in operation.

Just for comparison, what was your speed and HP prior and now?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I'm pretty much good, there were some other issues that came up which I have to fix, but not going to voice them here.

Prior 415HP, now guessing 525 to 530HP with my exhaust. Dyno showed 545HP using dry tuned hedders. WOT prior was a couple MPH more but this could increase when I shift back to 24 pitch props

Last edited: