Force Outboards Rated By Model

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are many different impellers today.-----Not the same 40 years ago.----Time to measure some shafts and housings .----Find a $20 one that will fit can be modified to work.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Dang okay. How do the US marine force gear boxes compare to the Merc made boxes? I've heard the merc ones are better but is that true? If It is, what are the failings on the US marine gear boxes?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I consider the 55 hp and the single carb 70 hp and the 150 hp to be the 3 worst force/Chrysler motors to not buy.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
True (in some cases) but I tried back then (8years or so) & gave in :( paid the piper
Maybe if I snag one of those motors I'll get a hold of good parts supplier and see if we can hunt down a good alternative. Maybe fine an imp. With the same diameter hole or something. There's gotta be some out there is hope.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I consider the 55 hp and the single carb 70 hp and the 150 hp to be the 3 worst force/Chrysler motors to not buy.
Oh that's interesting. What is your reasoning? We did state earlier that the 70s are bad due the single carb. How about the others?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The 150 is a 5 cylinder with 3 carbs and 1 of the carbs feeds only 1 cylinder. Complete oddball made for around 2 yrs. The 55 hp uses the lower unit off of the smaller engines a known problem with those.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 150 is a 5 cylinder with 3 carbs and 1 of the carbs feeds only 1 cylinder. Complete oddball made for around 2 yrs. The 55 hp uses the lower unit off of the smaller engines a known problem with those.
Okay that's super interesting. Definitely going to avoid those. When were the 55s made?

topgun3690

Ensign
When were the 55s made?
The 55hp were Chryslers made from 1974-1983 (per marineengine.com). I reckon jerry or nordin could clarify what was different about the Force 50, made from 1984-1999, besides paint color, cowling, and ignition systems used.....

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The 55hp were Chryslers made from 1974-1983 (per marineengine.com). I reckon jerry or nordin could clarify what was different about the Force 50, made from 1984-1999, besides paint color, cowling, and ignition systems used.....
Okay, did the lower unit issue ever get fixed under mercury? Do they just wear out? Can failure be avoided? I have an 88 50hp so it'd be nice to avoid lower unit problems

Nordin

Commander
Are we talking about the 55Hp who was introduced in 1968 or the 55Hp from 1977 with twin carbs (818cc volume) which actually was the 60Hp from 1974 (with Magna Power II ignition system)?
I suppose we are talking about the early 55Hp from 1968.
These engines has the same LU as the 35 and 45 Hp, same ratio same prop shaft and drive shaft. It will fit right on.
Through the years they change the coupling of the shift shaft and the roller bearing for the pinion gear too.
The 50Hp Force engines has the same LU.
My experience of these LUs is that they are pretty decent and very simple.
There are no shiming for the pinion, forward and reverse gear.
The pinion gear is just floating on the forward and reverse gear.
The most important thing with these LU is to adjust the shift rod properly and sometimes it can be a PIA to adjust it with the remote control if there is much play in the cables.
Otherwise in my opinion these 55Hp Chryslers and the 50Hp Forces are good engines.
Have in mind if you do not maintain OBs it does not matter which brand you have.
They will fail.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Okay thanks for the info Nordin. I'll just be sure to keep up with the standard maintenance

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I live in WI so when I was growing up that 55 was a motor that people were skiing behind. Maybe it was all the shifting that caused those failures.

Nordin

Commander
No all 85 and 90 Hp are 3 cylinders with three carbs.
The one carb 70Hp from 1991 and up with Chrysler/Force power head and Mercury gear case is a 3 cylinder engine.
The 85 and 90Hp are good engines, old school design (cross flow chargning)
from the 60.es and with newer electronic ignition system (Prestolite or Thunderbolt).
Maintain them and do not lean the air/fuel mixture less than 1 turn out from seated and they will run for a long time.
Remember these engines are 25 years or older so run them with care, do not run the hell out of them.