Force Outboards Rated By Model

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I have gotten my 1988 50hp, I've been doing a lot of research about these motors. Like many on this forum would likely agree, overall they mostly decent motors that have gotten a bad rap over the years. As far as I understand, this was due in large part to being marketed to entry level boaters, unaware of how to maintain an outboard, in addition to their cross flow design, dooming many of these motors to fail. This is from my research, which mostly lump sums them all together. But forces have been made for some 30 years, and there are a lot of models and makers.

So my question is, how do all the force models stack up against each other? Are there models that are worse than others? Some prone to certain problems? I've heard the Brunswick forces are bad, I've heard the merc ones are bad as well. Which ones are best? Which are the worst? What are everyone's experiences? I'm super curious, from the 4hp models to 150hp models.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Brunswick is the parent company that makes and markets Mercury outboards.

topgun3690

Ensign
The Force 70 HP (1991-1995) is the one I recall as being a bad design.....it had 3 cylinders and ONE carb.....one or more of the cylinders could run lean due to the one carb design, causing a lot of blown power heads. The other brands put out some lemons over the years too, not just Force.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The Force 70 HP (1991-1995) is the one I recall as being a bad design.....it had 3 cylinders and ONE carb.....one or more of the cylinders could run lean due to the one carb design, causing a lot of blown power heads. The other brands put out some lemons over the years too, not just Force.
Yeah I was looking at those 70s in case I ever wanted to upgrade in hp. I thought it was weird that there was only one carb.

topgun3690

Ensign
Yeah I was looking at those 70s in case I ever wanted to upgrade in hp. I thought it was weird that there was only one carb.
Another one was the L-Drive models in 120 HP (1990-1992) and 125 HP (1989). They were supposed to be the best of both worlds (OB and I.O.) but soon became known as the Hell Drive. Lol.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Topgun was right about the 70 and the Helldrive.
The one carb on the 70 was a real bad idea.
They cooked more #1 cyl. because of the crappy design.

I didn't like the 150 all that much either.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
At one time folks did not like the idea of a big outboard hanging on the back of a boat.-----It was deemed cheap and unreliable.-----The L-drive was a way of hiding the outboard.-----How times have changed !

topgun3690

Ensign
How are the small force outboards?
They are fine if maintained properly and not abused too bad.....same as any other motor. Parts availability and doing your own work are things to consider.....With the Force name on it you can probably get one cheap compared to other brands.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
They are fine if maintained properly and not abused too bad.....same as any other motor. Parts availability and doing your own work are things to consider.....With the Force name on it you can probably get one cheap compared to other brands.
Okay that's interesting. I was looking for a kicker motor for trolling for salmon (I live in the Pacific Northwest). I figured the one I get should be able to take hundreds of continuous hours of running without pause. I saw a 5 hp force for $75 that I am considering, but the general force reputation makes me nervous. I currently have a 70s Honda kicker that works well for now so I'm in no rush.

kalebsheridan

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there any truth to the US marine gear boxes being inferior to the Merc gear boxes? Is that even true? If it is, what are the failings and can they be avoided?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Is there any truth to the US marine gear boxes being inferior to the Merc gear boxes? Is that even true? If it is, what are the failings and can they be avoided?
you are trying to justify buying an old motor from a defunct company? for $75, buy it, if it breaks, spend another $75 on another old motor