Flipping Boat Over

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Greetings,

I am at the point in my restoration project that i need to flip the boat over for paint. I was thinking my best option is probably just to get some man power and role it over in the grass onto my dollys.

Do you guys think i should brace the sides at all, the bost is entirely gutted. It does weight very much, three people can lift it pretty easy.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Chad
http://i884.photobucket.com/albums/ac41/cc190cc/IMG_0511.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Flipping Boat Over

never done it on a tin boat, looks pretty solid maybe 4-5 people and roll it over real easy, dont think you want to drop it. extra hand will make it simple and easy on the boat, then buy em a few beers for the help

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks man, thats what i was thinking!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

We flipped my tin 18' fairly easily. I rolled the trailer over next to the grass. 4 guys got it off and set it on the grass. Then flipped it. Put it on 3 furniture dollys and rolled it into the garage.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lol, the beer obviously!!!! Thanks alot guys, i just need some reasurance. We will just be really careful, cant wait for some fresh paint on this thing, the STRIPER SLAYER will be unvailed within 1 month i hope!!!

Chad

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

i left the brace on mine that runs port to star near the splash well on, it gives some support. you could always bolt a 2x4 high up in the stern (using exsisting holes) if it feels like the back is weak

Sean-Nos

Petty Officer 1st Class

No harm to brace it just in case of slippy fingers or a week spot on the side just wedge a bit of timber across. I turned my boat over on a blow up bed and as it is made of wood there was a few creeks a cracks but all went well.

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

VICTORY, i was successful in flipping the boat over last night, four guys, some beer, a rope and my dodge dakota. It was a little scary when it was up on its edge, a boat looks alot bigger when it is on its side and then upside down. Now to start scuffing it up and fixing a few pits. More pics to come soon, cant wait to get some fresh paint.

Chad

pete44

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Would'nt it be cool to have a flipper like they use on auto frames?

Pete

cc190cc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah that would be awesome. I contemplated making one from a couple of auto engine stands that i have but it seemed like alot of work for this one project. If I did this more often i would probably make one. Getting back upright with fresh paint will be a bit more nerve wracking!!!

Chad