first time boat owner

stormy123

Cadet
hello everyone im a first time boat owner in search of some answers hopefully some one can help me i recently purchased a 84 thundercraft citation runabout guy i bought it off of said the only thing wrong with it was that the carb was flooding out so i bought a carb rebuild kit n put a accelerator pump in it and the motor purrs like a kitten so i got lucky in that part of it the only thing im concerned is when i went to put it in gear forward or reverse it started clicking n slammed into gear pretty hard like it didnt have any clutches in it or something now it went into gear n the propeller turned but just went into gear pretty hard now im thinking its got a 2.3 4 cyl with a omc 800 outdrive does that sound bout right any help to a newbie boat owner would be greatly appreciated

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Re: first time boat owner

im thinking its got a 2.3 4 cyl with a omc 800 outdrive does that sound bout right
no, the 2.3 wasn't put into any boats for several years after 1984, and it was never paired with an 800 series drive.

post some pics of the engine/drive and we'll be able to say what it is.

stormy123

Cadet

no, the 2.3 wasn't put into any boats for several years after 1984, and it was never paired with an 800 series drive.

post some pics of the engine/drive and we'll be able to say what it is.

ok give me a few ill go take some pics n post them shortly

stormy123

Cadet

cant get pics to download dont no if any one can help me with my initial question or not is my boat supposed to shift hard going into forward or reverse

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

cant get pics to download dont no if any one can help me with my initial question or not is my boat supposed to shift hard going into forward or reverse

Pictures here How to Post Pictures - The Basics?/ 468676

The 2.3 was only used between 87 and 90. You probably have either a 120 or 140. Both look about the same except the front pulley on the crankshaft is a pulley on the 120, a vibration dampner on the 140.

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If everything's working right it should shift smoothly.
Is your ignition cut-out working?

stormy123

Cadet

like i mentioned im a first time boat owner only bought a bout cause my ol lady wanted one im learning as i go so i dont no what a ignition cut out or what it does if someone could explain to me it would be appreciated just want to learn

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

we won't know if your boat was even equipped with such a device until you post some pics or accurate info.
(could be an L-drive for all we know so far)

stormy123

Cadet

is there anywher on the motor that will have numbers or a model number that i can get you that might help id like to no exactly what i have also

southkogs

Staff member

is there anywher on the motor that will have numbers or a model number that i can get you that might help id like to no exactly what i have also
Nope. Stringers usually have a number stamped on 'em somewhere -but it doesn't seem to help identify them. If you've got a quadrant tilt gear on the port side of the drive, that says it's a Stringer, but doesn't clear up which model. Pictures will help the guys figure out which you have for sure (I can only identify the Electric shift ones :))

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Post a picture if you can't find any numbers on the engine, I gave you a link on how to easily post a picture from your computer.

stormy123

Cadet

ok guys think i finally figured er out i got a 3.0 with a omc 800 185 horse stringer outdrive i put the muffs on er started er up run great everything seems to work tilt trim turns side to side went to put er in gear sounded like throwing a car in park while it was still rolling n went into gear pretty hard forward n reverse talked to a guy that works on boats n he said it was normal that you cant be easy putting it in gear you had to be firm with it just didnt sound right with me forgot to add its an84 model any help would be greatly appreciated looking forward to getting er out on the river

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer

ok guys think i finally figured er out i got a 3.0 with a omc 800 185 horse stringer outdrive i put the muffs on er started er up run great everything seems to work tilt trim turns side to side went to put er in gear sounded like throwing a car in park while it was still rolling n went into gear pretty hard forward n reverse talked to a guy that works on boats n he said it was normal that you cant be easy putting it in gear you had to be firm with it just didnt sound right with me forgot to add its an84 model any help would be greatly appreciated looking forward to getting er out on the river

I had this same problem with shifting into gear with my stringer when I first got it. Several years into owning it I had to remove the drive to reseal the upper. When I put her back together, I followed the OEM manual exactly when setting the nominal neutral adjustment and the problem went away. She now shifts so smooth into gear I never hear a sound. The previous mechanics markings on the shift converter assembly were off by quite a bit and I could see why she was clunking into gear.

If you dont have the OEM manual, the Seloc manual covers the adjustment procedure well. You will need a spotter watching the prop to see when it engages both in forward and reverse when setting it to do it properly. You will see what Im talking about when you read the section in the manual that covers the adjustment.

southkogs

Staff member

Yeah, she should shift pretty smoothly - maybe feel a little bump into gear, but that should be about it.