First look inside my Alpha One

Sawz

Cadet
Re: First look inside my Alpha One

My question is why are these mechanics not paying for this repair and the engine?

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

I got a 1987 and when I pulled there was a little mud and making noise , greased ujoints ,gimble brgs , But Mine didn't have a huge crack in the houising like this one above your shifter,and looks outof round ,might have been full of water and froze ?

Dieter

Seaman

well sorry to hear all that. i would be pushing them for some money thats for sure.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

I got a 1987 and when I pulled there was a little mud and making noise , greased ujoints ,gimble brgs , But Mine didn't have a huge crack in the houising like this one above your shifter,and looks outove round ,might have been full of water and froze ?

Ask Bondo it looks cracked when enlarged to me .

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My question is why are these mechanics not paying for this repair and the engine?

They certainly should have. They kept trying to fix it. And, kept messing up more and more. Put a head on it, the engine siezed almost immediately. Replaced engine. Had all the problems I have described. When I first took it to them, I told them I thought the carb needed a rebuild and lower shift cable. They said it was the head. After all this work and expense, I took it to someone else who immediately agreed my carb was shot. He put a new one on it. I really believe the carb was the problem to begin with.

By the time it swamped, I was so done with them. I probably should have taken them to Small Claims. When my wife got sick, I just couldn't think about it any more.

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ask Bondo it looks cracked when enlarged to me .

Yikes! Where do you see the crack? Out of round? I will look again and take more pics. I can't believe it ever froze full of water. I am obsessive about running antifreeze through it. Would it ever have just sat full of water? Wouldn't it have drained out through the bearing? Am I incorrect by my thinking that the water came from being swamped?

The jerks also kept it on their lot for a long time with the nose down without the poles for the cover. I suspect the foam is water logged because the seems a lot heavier than before. I'm sort of interested in learning how to do a restoration. That is about the only reason I haven't dumped it by now. It just never occured to me that the Admiral might be wanting to go out with it this year.

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

At 5oclock where lower unit fits in gimble housing . Oring should seal when bolted/bottomed out but it has gap that I didnt notice on mine . Ask for more experienced as when i did mine it was the first time .

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

At 5oclock where lower unit fits in gimble housing . Oring should seal when bolted/bottomed out but it has gap that I didnt notice on mine . Ask for more experienced as when i did mine it was the first time .

Ok, I posted some more pics.

SAM_1649.jpgSAM_1650.jpgSAM_1651.jpgSAM_1652.jpgSAM_1653.jpg

What am I not seeing?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

There is no crack! That all looks perfect. Have you checked the gimbal bearing? If water got into the bellows from the boat side, then it may have gone into that bearing... Pump it with grease and see what squeezes out. Give it a turn with your fingers and see how it feels. Any roughness or stiffness, replace it... It's easy and not that expensive. The serial number you gave in an earlier post is for a TR drive, and you have an Alpha One... Please recheck that serial number...

Chris......

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

. The serial number you gave in an earlier post is for a TR drive, and you have an Alpha One... Please recheck that serial number...

Chris......

SAM_1658.jpg

This is the tag on the back of the engine. The label on the back of the boat isn't as clear, but the number the same.

I did quite a bit of spinning on the bearing. It is really smooth. It was replaced about 3 years ago along with the bellows. However, it was done by some of the locals Don told me not to bother any more.

I have spent so much on this old boat, I could have bought a brand new one with that money.

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What does it mean if my drive is a TR instead of an Alpha One?

achris

What does it mean if my drive is a TR instead of an Alpha One?

No, your drive IS an Alpha, but that number is for a TR... Me smells something fishy... and it ain't fish....
Where exactly is that number tag? Because it doesn't look like it's anywhere I've seen tags before. Usually they are on flat surfaces, not wrapped around a curve...

I have spent so much on this old boat, I could have bought a brand new one with that money.

That's why we say the most expensive boat is a cheap one... :D:D:p:facepalm:

Chris.....

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, your drive IS an Alpha, but that number is for a TR... Me smells something fishy... and it ain't fish....
Where exactly is that number tag? Because it doesn't look like it's anywhere I've seen tags before. Usually they are on flat surfaces, not wrapped around a curve...

That's why we say the most expensive boat is a cheap one... :D:D:p:facepalm:

Chris.....

This is a zoom out on the tags. They both have the same number. I noted above that these local guys all insist it is a Gen II.
What do you think?

SAM_1659.jpgSAM_1660.jpg

rednecktech00

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Chris.....

I know the forum has been really busy. I am still wondering if there is anything I should know about if the serial number on my drive is not correct. I really appreciate all you who have pitched in on this for me. I am ready to order a new shift cable and bellows. If my serial number is wrong, am I likely to get incorrect parts ordered?

achris

attachment.php

Attachments

• Serial number location.JPG
    Serial number location.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 0

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

TRN: 0B942094 6010000AS MERCRUISER ALPHA

NO ACTIVE REGISTRATION AVAILABLE Warranty Period: NONE
MPP Platinum Protection Period: NONE
Manufacture Date: 10/14/1987