First-ever Engine Ignition

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class
Have a brand new VP 5.7L and would like to fire the motor for the first time ever using sterndrive flushing ears. It's got an MPI so I'll need to prime the fuel pump but what else should I pay special attention to besides fluid levels etc? Is it really as easy as it sounds? How long can I run the motor safely? After ignition, what should I make note of? Sound? Pitch? Should I use high octane fuel the first time?

Thanks in advance!

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: First-ever Engine Ignition

Go easy on the water pressure and don't just let it sit there flowing without the engine running, you don't have to run and jump but don't loligag around either, and when your done same thing get that hose shut off pronto. Don't run anywhere much above idle, a little rev won't hurt but it's best not to push it. You can run it as long as you need to.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Run whatever octain they reccomend, higher octane just reduces the thickness of your wallet and nothing more.

You should note how totally bad it sounds, I love when they fire the boats up at work, especially the big blocks, they have a big tank with antifreeze in it the put the lower in but it is the coolest sound.

I gaurantee the motor has been run before, there is no way the factory would let the boat go without knowing it runs correctly.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yes, as easy as it sounds . . . just make sure that the holes in the drive are covered completely with the "ears".

I like to see that I have good voltage from the alternator. I also fill my bilge some with the plug in and check the bilge pump. Check for any gasoline smells after running. No need to worry about octane, especially with no load. Most say 2000 RPM max. I was watching a neighbor run his Bravo Saturday. He was revving it pretty hard in spurts and you could see the overflow stop immediately each time telling me he was cavitating the pump.

Not sure why you need to worry about having the hose running without the engine running . . . Pressure on hoses that are usually under a vacuum?

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the advice and confidence boost!!! Now I can't wait to hear it roar!!!

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

Not sure why you need to worry about having the hose running without the engine running . . . Pressure on hoses that are usually under a vacuum?

Another thread, I asked the same question, they indicated the gaskets between the outdrive and transome can become overwhelmed and blow...

I have never had problems, but my muffs leak like a flippin sieve, so I don't think I have any real pressure..

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Another thread, I asked the same question, they indicated the gaskets between the outdrive and transome can become overwhelmed and blow...

Bull S*** Whoever said that doesn't have a clue of how the system operates.

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

No it wont, let it run forever. running back and forth to shut it off and on would be good exercise though

jacknbella

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks again for the incredible advice. Yes, firing the motor in my driveway was as easy as everyone suggested!!! You just can't describe the sound of a 5.7L VP for the first time... Now I can't wait to hear it roar at WOT (after the break-in period though)!!! :)