first boat starcraft vhull

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
A few weeks ago i bought an old starcraft fiberglasss v hull 16 foot. I have always wanted a fishing boat but always thought it was out of reach. I bought this boat for 100.00 so i figured it would be a decent project to start on. The hull seems to be in good shape. No floor motor or trailer. So far the only thing i have done is sand, prime, and paint the outside using total boat wet edge. i bought a trailer for 125.00 with title and it had a boat on it that i need to find out what to do with it. i will post pics up to this point. Any help along the way would be appreciated. I will keep this updated on my progress

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo264280.jpg
    photo264280.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264281.jpg
    photo264281.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264281.jpg
    photo264281.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo264806.png
    photo264806.png
    634.4 KB · Views: 0

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Attachments

• photo264808.png
    photo264808.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • photo264809.png
    photo264809.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • photo264810.png
    photo264810.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
One question that I have come up with is i had to remove the starcraft badges to paint and they were cracked. So I've been trying to find replacements with no luck so are decals my only option now

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
There are many folks here with lots of experience. Look forward to following along

jbcurt00

Staff member
One question that I have come up with is i had to remove the starcraft badges to paint and they were cracked. So I've been trying to find replacements with no luck so are decals my only option now

Yes, unless you get lucky and happen to find a set on ebay. In 5+yrs, I've probably seen 5 or 6 sets, some repops, there.

Are yours cracked and broken w pieces missing, or just cracked, but completem

You might be able to repair yours w epoxy putty well enough to pull casting molds off them and DIY cast yourself new sets.....

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
They are broken in about 3 pieces. On one side it is all there but broken

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard, Nate.

I would go with decals. Relatively inexpensive, more available and they don't break when the boat bangs the dock.

You got some nice work going on!

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So here is the 125.00 trailer that came with the boat. So my first problem is what do I do with the boat that is on there. And then is there anything I need to do to make the trailer right for my v hull? Bunks or rollers? And how do I determine location of bunks or rollers

Attachments

• photo264856.png
    photo264856.png
    695.5 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The trailer is for a V-hull and you boat is kinda a Tri-hull design. You can adapt it probably but we won't be able to tell you how until you get the boat off of it and we can see how it's configured. I'd advertise the boat on C-List and see if anyone's interested in it for a project boat. You could offer to haul it to their place and drop it there.

Also, you should investigate the forum and learn about replacing Stringers, Decks and transoms. You boat will need all of that. This link is a good starting point...Fabricating Decks, Stringers, and Transoms

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
I'd recommend carpeted bunks. To me they are easier to use. Not sure if there's much value for that boat, but you never know. The Craigslist idea is a good one.

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
I'd recommend carpeted bunks. To me they are easier to use. Not sure if there's much value for that boat, but you never know. The Craigslist idea is a good one.[/QUOT

Are you talking about the boat on the trailer.

Natebrown

Seaman Apprentice
So as far as boat projects go this seems,pretty straightforward and I believe I can get a decent little,lake,fishing boat out of it for fairly cheap. Does this seem reasonable or does it look I will be wasting my time and money or am,on getting into way over my head. Just curious about y'alls opinion

chevymaher

Commander
So as far as boat projects go this seems,pretty straightforward and I believe I can get a decent little,lake,fishing boat out of it for fairly cheap. Does this seem reasonable or does it look I will be wasting my time and money or am,on getting into way over my head. Just curious about y'alls opinion
If you plan on keeping it and using it forever. You will never regret it when it is done. If your doing it for what it will be worth to sell. Your loosing money. But it will be a new boat when your done and you won't be able to buy a new boat for what you got in it when finished.

It is all in what you want and what your plans are. All that matters is your happy with it.

Jcris

Chief Petty Officer
Yes Nate I'm talking about the boat on the trailer
And I do think you can get a decent fishing rig out of this. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
The boat you're wanting to restore is a full restoration project. At a minimum you'll spend $500 to $1.000 bucks. Floor, Stingers and Transom All require removal and replacing.