Evinrude 15hp PLEASE HELP?

rde750

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 15hp PLEASE HELP?

Had the same problem. I rebuilt the carb and put it back on, half day on the lake and it starts to bog down and run poorly. Had to take the carb back off and reclean it had black specks in it. Put the carb back on, this time I replaced all the fuel lines and added an inline filter. No more problems thing runs great. My advice is to pull your carb back off clean it and replace ALL of your fuel lines and add an inline filter. Problem will most likely be solved. Good luck..

Rick.

Captain

rde750: Where exactly did you place the filter and what kind was it. I just put some 5/16 automotive filters (small) on the outlet of the tank and some are saying it might be too restrictive for the pump to suck through the filter. Rick.

rde750

Cadet

On the main fuel line just past the primer bulb after changing all the fuel lines under the engine cowl. Does not appear to be restricting what so ever engine runs strong.

rybo

Cadet

Thanks for all of the replies and help guys. I took it back to mechanic today and we messed with it for about an hour. He actually let me watch and learn!! Great guy after all. No offense earlier Rick. Also, we dipped it into their "pool" and mechanic could only keep it running with choke. He took carb off (in about a minute) yes, I was mesmerized and re-cleaned the jets. Diagnosis was that the high speed jet had a tiny speck of sand or something. He cleaned it with compressed air real good and then we took it back to pool. After he readjusted the low speed rich/lean, it ran like a champ. Also, he gave me a little "red bushing" for the knob that I was missing. Cool guy really.

He said specks can get in just about from anywhere in system. Gas lines, gas tank, etc. He even said it can be in the gas from the pump! It's not always as "clean" as they would makes us think. As far as my tiller adjustment knob, it is broken. The cable came loose inside of engine from the screw on thing, but it doesn't affect throttle. That's good b/c he said these things are hard to fix.

Overall, I was truly amazed at how fast he took carb out and put it back in. Also putting the starter rope coil back in like 10 seconds flat. Then he apologized for the inconvenience and sent me on my way without a charge!! Can you believe that? Great customer service. That is what is lacking these days.
P.S. About the inline fuel filter, he said he would NOT get one since they cause more problems than their worth. He said he rips them off as soon as someone brings one in with a filter on....

Thanks,
R

Rick.

Captain

I hope lots of members read your post. I just feel we have to give people the benefit of a doubt until they really prove us wrong. Sounds like your mechanic is a gem of a guy. I'm glad your motor is back to top notch condition and hope you have lots of hour of enjoyment with it. Rick.

First, find a new repair shop: most problems are electrical and every good mechanic knows that. Have coils, power pack, sensor and charge coil checked. Actually, you can do this yourself if you buy an OMC repair manual (don't buy Seloc, go to Ebay and buy an OMC manual for a 15) with an Ohm meter. If that doesn't take care of the problem then we can look for fuel problems.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forums and new to outboards generally. I've just recently bought a 1991 15hp evinrude tiller steer. She had been setting up for a few years and got a pretty good deal on her. I'm running her on a 14ft. john boat. Motor initially started right up and ran well for a couple weeks and fishing trips with new gas, grease, etc.

Finally, she began to cough and throttle out when I would turn it up. Then it would start up and cut out everytime when I opened up the throttle. I took it in to the local repair shop and they put a carb kit on it. I got it back and took it out for the first time and she ran pretty smooth, but not as fast as it seemed to go at first. Probably topping out around 18mph when it used to plane the boat off at around 25mph. I'm not looking for speed, however, I do want a dependable well running motor as we all do.

Today I took it out and it shortly began doing the same cutting out when I opened up the throttle. It seems to idle fine, but when I open it up it cuts out. Out on the lake today and needed to get back to pier through the wind. I finally resorted to messing with the mixture/lean switch and turned it up about a 1/4 from where it was set and it took off fine and ran well back to the pier at about 18-19mph. I throttled down and throttled up a few times to check it and it seemed fine after I increased the mixture. I don't know if it is good to run it at a higher mixture and if it would hurt it in the long run. Also, when in neutral and I throttle it all the way up, it begans "clanking" a little when I throttle back down. Only does this in neutral.

Before I take it back to the shop and complain about spending $100 on the carb kit, I wanted to get some suggestions. By the way, when I say "mixture," I mean lean/rich adjustment.

Thanks for all help.

CATransplant

Admiral

Sandhammaren05:

Please read the thread before replying. The original poster took the outboard back to the shop and they fixed the problem gratis. It was the carb, not electrical. It's good to try to help, but it's important to read through the thread. Often, the problem has already been solved.

Rick.

Captain

Unbelievable. All the tools I need on the boat from now on is my multimeter? LOL. Rick.