Stuck gear oil drain screw on lower leg

bluegothic13

Cadet
Hi.<br />I've had this 1986 Force 125 hp OB engine for 4 years. <br />The lower gear oil drain screw is frozen. I've never drained it.<br />It's a female type hex nut/screw - threads on the outside and a hex wrench hole in middle.<br />What can I do?<br />Heat it with a flame? Tap and Die?<br />Any ideas would be welcome.<br />Thanks.

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Stuck gear oil drain screw on lower leg

How many screws are there? It should be at least two. You can check and see if the oil needs changing by inserting a straw thru the top hole and use it like a pipette. Draw a small amount of oil out and inspect it. If it is milky, get out the torch for the screw and a seal kit for the lower unit. If it is clear and does not contain any metal shavings, you are fine. Top it off and get back on the water. If you do see metal shavings, you will need to rebuild the lower unit. Hope that helps!

RRitt

Captain

you could also do it the hard way. as in replace the impeller. i suggest this because it sounds like maybe you haven't replaced the impeller in four years either. in which case, it's overdue.<br /><br />while you have the gearleg off just take off the shift cover and dump the oil out the top. you'll need one new as568a-151 o-ring and one as568a-139 oring. you should be able to get both for under $1 from a local hydraulic supply store. standard o-ring (buna70) is the material of choice.<br /><br />if your local supplier can get oil seals with a stainless-steel spring loaded lip, then cool. <br />get one of those in 1.125x1.75x0.313 and put a new one into your shaft cover as well. it should cost you under $5. the hard part is finding someone who sells it.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Drill it out and try a straight cut easy-out. You may end-up drilling it out and tapping it clean. That was a stupid idea they had, putting allen heads in there. :rolleyes: But at least finding center for the drill is automatic. :)

bluegothic13

Cadet

Thank you Lake Runner, RRitt, and WillBWright for your advice.<br /><br />Lake Runner...<br />There are two holes to the gear oil. I'll try the straw as pipette to search for metal shavings. If there are metal shaving, does this indicate an issue somewhere?<br /><br />RRitt...<br />The second day after I bought the 1986 boat and motor 4 years ago, it overheated and the impeller was replaced then. How long are they good for, on average?<br /><br />WillBWright...<br />I've never did a tap and die job before. Do I get say a quater inch tap bit, drill a hole through the existing screw, and reem it with a die for threads? What kind and where do I get a flat screw to close it off with?<br /><br />Thanks.

RRitt

Captain

I used my boat in shallow water with sandy bottom. annual replacement is part of every boat's maintenance program down here. we don't even bother asking if it needs it. not doing an annual replacement is generally accepted as unwise. next stop is mexico and it takes about 2-3 weeks to drift across.<br /><br />If you do elect to dump the oil out of the top then you can just leave the plug alone. If you drill out the plug then you're going to need to flush out the shavings. which, realistically, means pulling off the gearcase anyway.

Realgun

Commander

Try an easy out by "Hand" on the allen bolt. It should come out. use the smallest they got and a get the exact drill size they say to use with that easyout. Sometimes just the left handed drill will get that tiny bolt out.

Realgun

Commander

Try an easy out by "Hand" on the allen bolt. It should come out. use the smallest they got and a get the exact drill size they say to use with that easyout. Sometimes just the left handed drill will get that tiny bolt out.

imported_LakeRunner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Metal shavings could mean that you are grinding the gears which means the lubrication is not doing it's job. I flush mine at the start of every boating season and check it when I winterize.