Eaton m45 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJK440

Seaman
You could try water injection to keep the pressure up but pinging down. It is an old high pressure trick.
I went this route to cure a non-efficient intercooler under an M90. It was a car but it seriously dropped air charge temps which was much safer. I ran just distilled water although the snow kit I bought often uses a methenol/water blend for added fueling, octane and cooling, or even just washer fluid.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
It would be pretty handy to just use water off the impeller. Run it through a automotive fuel filter and mister in there...
Going to try new fuel first lol. theres a vp station just up the road. I don't want to have it tuned for race gas but I might throw in a splash of c-12

CJK440

Seaman
It would be pretty handy to just use water off the impeller. Run it through a automotive fuel filter and mister in there...
Going to try new fuel first lol. theres a vp station just up the road. I don't want to have it tuned for race gas but I might throw in a splash of c-12

I think the problem with going non distilled is damaging the pump and crudding up the nozzle hurting the mist pattern. For a buck a gallon I wouldn't put lake water thru it.

The C-12 will sure smell nice.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8RJZ00f4kU
​46mph with a 21p aluminum with some rock damage.
blew the head gasket again... Not as leaky this time but I can hear it. was wot. and started to ping then bang and spit out the gasket. Its a nice sheer pin if nothing else would go it would prob crack a piston or worse. Hopefully sunday ill have time to get it into the shop for a 8psi pulley and new HG.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Current setup is 6lbs boost. Much more fuel. I have them jets drilled quite large. I tried a 17 19 and 21 prop. Boat still seems to like the 17 best. When wot it pulls to about 6200rpm at 46mph and it is screaming. Only did that twice racing my buddy's 195v v6 boat and I can pull him out of the hole up past top speed. So I would say I have completed what I set out to do. The serp belt does seem to wear fast. I'm guessing it will only last about 40hours. Fair amount of belt dust around the charger.... A tensioner pulley might solve this issue.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
Mercruiser built this engine strong is all I have to say.
I have my fuel dialed in. Installed a wide band afr to find that I already had it spot on.
Timing seems to be my battle. To get it out of the hole I run it at 22 deg but if I hold it wide open for a long time there is trouble. However if I back it down to 16 deg It does fine wot but doesn't like to idle and is a fair bit more sluggish out of the hole. Msd boost retard box is the next step.
Boat holds strong against my buddies Tige 21v 320hp ski boat. He gets me down low till I trim up and blow by.
With further tuning I plan to push 50 mph. However not till next year. Sick of changing head gaskets for this summer.

mittimj

Seaman Apprentice
How much hp before this drive gives up anyways? I'm guessing I'm up around 200
I haven't written off meth injection either. Just one thing at a time. I haven't thrown but a few hundred at this project so far. I had the charger laying around for years now so that doesn't count

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Number I've seen tossed around is 300hp for an alpha. Thought you couldn't use an O2 sensor b/c of the water through the exhaust?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Where did you buy the A/F meter? What size connection does it have?

Nice project and fab work. Yeah the Alfa is good for 300 hp behind a 5.7 so you should be fine. 6200 rpms is a bit much for a 3.0...

Status
Not open for further replies.