DVD's that eat!

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I was watching a movie the other day and put in disc 2. All of a sudden the player wouldnt read any disc anymore. So as smart as I am I put the disc in another Dvd player and it did the same thing. The disc was brand new and not a scratch on it. Now I have 2 non workin DVD players. Anyone have a clue as to what happened?????:confused::mad::confused:

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: DVD's that eat!

Maybe the laser eye got dirt/dust on it. Got a can of air? Try giving a shot or two into the player to see it it cleans things up.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will give it a try but what are the odds that a brand new disk ruined two different players.

rwise

Captain

My thought is it is just coincidence, but anything is possible, :confused::confused::eek:

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tryed the compressed air. :(Didnt work. They wont even read a cleaning disc!:mad:

Caveman Charlie

Chief Petty Officer

Where did you get the movie from? Is there anyway you could send them a bill or something? For sure I would file a official compliant with them and the FCC too. Maybe you can get something if you complain enough.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Not realy looking for compensation, more wondering what the heck happened.

gonefishie

Commander

Did you try another movie? Is the movie you were watching legit? Non-multi regions dvd player won't read bootleg movie or those that are made for other parts of the world. Another thing, lots of disc 2 are interactive DVDROM that meant to be use in your puter.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

You need to be sure the disk is the problem. Take it to your friends house and try it there. :D

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I will not put that disk in another player at all. As for the DVD it was a new store bought dvd from Walley World.

jal

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There are rental movies which will only be viewable for two or three days after opening, then they go bye bye. These movies are usually found in truck stops.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There are rental movies which will only be viewable for two or three days after opening, then they go bye bye. These movies are usually found in truck stops.

What does that have to do with a player going bad???????:confused:

Xcusme

Commander

I was watching a movie the other day and put in disc 2. All of a sudden the player wouldnt read any disc anymore. So as smart as I am I put the disc in another Dvd player and it did the same thing. The disc was brand new and not a scratch on it. Now I have 2 non workin DVD players. Anyone have a clue as to what happened?????:confused::mad::confused:

More info is needed:

What are the makes and model numbers for the two players.
Title of DVD movie set.
Do you get any error messages on TV screen or player when other Dvd's are inserted?

My first guess is that the programmable rom's , in the players, got corrupted from the second Dvd. My next step would be to see if the manufacturers have a firmware update available and reflash the rom's back to factory. The update usually involves making a cd with the new (or original firmware) on it and rebooting the player. The flash routine should run and put the player back to factory settings (region code etc). Some players can re-init the factory rom programming by holding down various keys on the player then powering on the player, the default factory programming will then be reloaded.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

More info is needed:

What are the makes and model numbers for the two players.
Title of DVD movie set.
Do you get any error messages on TV screen or player when other Dvd's are inserted?

My first guess is that the programmable rom's , in the players, got corrupted from the second Dvd. My next step would be to see if the manufacturers have a firmware update available and reflash the rom's back to factory. The update usually involves making a cd with the new (or original firmware) on it and rebooting the player. The flash routine should run and put the player back to factory settings (region code etc). Some players can re-init the factory rom programming by holding down various keys on the player then powering on the player, the default factory programming will then be reloaded.

I will have to get the info when I get home. Will let you know the models and makes. I did not know you could re initialize a dvd player.:redface:

Nandy

Commander

Did you power down the player? If you haven't done so go ahead and try it. Some dvds might have corrupted info and it will send the laser carriage off limit. Unlike other equipment, dvds and cds players never touch the surface of the disk. Yes, if a disk is wet or have any debris that can become loose at he high speed the disk turns, that debris might end up in the laser. The cleaning disk does have a micro brush that does the cleaning. Good luck.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Xcusme, Its a Sony RMT-D141A is all I could get. Any help is much appreciated.:redface:

Xcusme

Commander

Hmmm, well, now that we have the model number for the units remote control....lets try for the model number of the player...

i386

Captain

:D:D:D

I'm staying in the peanut gallery on this one.

Windykid

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hmmm, well, now that we have the model number for the units remote control....lets try for the model number of the player...

Apologies, I had someone at home give me those numbers, I will get the correct ones.:redface: