Drain In Cuddy? What is it MAN!

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Drain In Cuddy? What is it MAN!

Chriss72, it looks like you may have an inspection plate in the middle of your deck between the front seats. If so, pop or unscrew that plate and see if there is additional water or 'crap' visible. This could be where some of the water is being retained and traveling back to the cuddy.
Also, GET THAT COVER to protect your investment. . . cheap insurance.
It may seem that we love beating up on the newbie, and you would be right. Part of this is because we don't want to see the next guy go through the same things we experienced (our learning curve). But then, it's fun whipping up on the new kid on the playground. BTW, good lookin' rig.

Philster

Captain

Chances are that when he pulls that hatch open, he'll just be staring at the top of the fuel tank. But, it still should be opened.

My fear is the 'crud' in the so-called drain isn't crud and the drain isn't a drain. Wellcraft and others have these little plastic caps that seem like they seal off a drain, but they aren't drains. Behind the little plastic cap is just foam. Some people will dig the foam as if it is crud, and then they'll see water weeping in from the rest of the saturated foam.

It's up in the cuddy, often in the anchor locker, and the water gets there from the deck/hull joint.

None of this is me intending to incite owner panic, per se; it's just that once you see this on those types of boats and someone comes here asking about it, then it just has to be mentioned... unfortunately.

Maclin

Admiral

Hey Chris, I am glad you are asking about it, and also for your sense of humor, no need for embarassment. Well informed boaters are good for the sport for sure :)

I like your boat...

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

BINGO, your a genius. Put my finger in the plug and out came 2 gallons. Im a dummy

Philster

Captain

Out came two gallons. From where did it come? Where did you see this go? Into the bilge and out the stern drain hole?

UncleWillie

Captain

BINGO, you're a genius. Put my finger in the plug and out came 2 gallons. I'm a dummy

Good Deal! :)

Now make sure all the drain holes are open all the way to the bow and keep them that way! :D

Pour a gallon of water under the cutty.
It should run out the back end in less than a minute or two.

chrisss72

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks guys. I may have only been a gallon. I didnt stand around and wait but it came out good. Im getting to know my new toy already. Once it gets warmer and i get the wifes painting done ill spend plenty of time working on it. Thanks

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Sounds like it's time to open up all hatches and give her a good wet/dry vac in the bilge!

belleview3

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like it's time to hire a painter and go play in the boat!

jimh1626

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You are going to love it. Don't forget to put the plug back in the transom hole before you launch. Been there done that and I have had a boat most of my life. Sooner or later it will happen. Also don't forget to run your blower before starting engine.