1990 FourWinns 180 Horizon HOLY CRAP You Have to be kidding

ou18

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1990 FourWinns 180 Horizon HOLY CRAP You Have to be kidding

So, yesterday was another hour at the boat. I gotta tell you all, the foam in the boat, its not that is hard to get off the hull, but damn, it just breaks apart into a million peices. This stuff is unreal. I got about 60 percent of it off the hull as of right now. I still need to bag this junk up and get it out of the boat. I think i will feel alot better once i get it out of there, and i can actually see the hull. There is just so damn much of this crap. Its amazing, and to just think, there is another 40 percent to pull out of this thing.
Anyway, no new pics, just scraped knuckles and lots of water logged foam peices in the bottom of my boat.

I guess on a side bar, when i start the rebuilding process, which obviously is a bit off in the future here, where in the hell do i get that foam at. Or is there a better solution\option, something that can be laid in the hull.

Alright guys, until tommorow.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

where in the hell do i get that foam at. Or is there a better solution\option, something that can be laid in the hull.

Considering the mess you're looking at now, this will look even sweeter to you:

http://picasaweb.google.com/pacerdude/EntireDeckReplacement89Celebrity224se#5305852018165355202

iBoats member Paul Bell did an awesome job on his boat and used the pink construction board foam from Lowes/HD.

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=300463

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

I gotta tell ya EZ. That is one beautiful boat. I mean it, I just rolled through every one of those pics. Great job. Got a lot of great ideas i will probably steal alot of the things you did, i mean borrow and implement in my rebuild as well. Seeing those pics has really given me some hope as to what i would like mine to turn out like in the end. Minus the wood trim, which on your boat looks great.
Nice Nice job on that floor. Cant wait to get to point where im laying all of that out and doing what you did.

I got two major tasks once it is gutted.
Transom rebuild because im getting water leaking in back there. And based on the way the compartments in the floor looked, would not be surprised if its rotted out. Figure after 20 years of service, it has to be damaged and cant hurt to rebuild now, especially if im going through this excercise in rebuilding the floor

And two is the floor. Thanks for the pics. Thoroughly enjoyed them and got some great ideas in the process on how to do all this.

Happy boating.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That's not my boat! I just linked to Paul Bell's masterpiece for you. (I kinda wish that was my boat :) )

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Well, Hell great looking boat anyway. I think we all wish that was our boat. Hopefully ill be able to pull this off and make her look at least as good as she looked when i first bought her, and more water worthy..

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Well, thank god i had the cover on the boat, not that it kept the Monsoon rains of South Florida completely out, but it saved the hull from taking in a good 8 inches of water. So I guess I should be happy, plus it added some needed shelter while i lost 5 pounds in sheer sweat alone digging foam out of the boat. Given the amount of floor i have opened up, which is about 60 percent of it, I have all the visible foam torn out. This weekend, I hope to have the rest of the floor out, minus whatever is under the cap of the boat. Being i havent pulled that off yet. Need to find a place to store that part before i yank it off. But for the most part, the only section of floor that is coverd because of the cap, is that in the bow. So at least i will have a good portion done.

Stringer\Compartments are in half way decent shape. Some are rotted through, so Ill cut those down as far to the hull as I can, and try to leave a little groove to put the new wood in. It will make for a good template, that is for sure.

I think I may also pull the outdrive this weekend and get it stored as well. That will be one more thing out of the way.

By the way, anyone with an OMC Outdrive and Engine that would like me to email them sections of the Actual OMC Factory Manual, let me know,. Or I might just scan the entire book and post to that flikr site. We'll see. Not I dont have the Clymers or some other aftermarket manual, this is the actual Factory OMC Manual that covers, all their engines from the early 90s, how to tear them down, rebuild them and put them back together, as well as the outdrive itself. It is an invaluable tool. That is for sure.

Happy boating this weekend

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Wow I had flashbacks of doing a similar job on my '88 200 Horizon...same red gelcoat but with the grey stripe above the rub rail....One thing I noticed and this probably contributed to the rot...the bow cover does not cover the anchor locker...which drains into the ski locker...which lets that area stay all damp anytime it rains...if you re-do the bow and cockpit cover...make the bow cover extend over that anchor locker and your ski locker will stay dry all the time...that's what I did on mine.

Anyway mine was rotted under the rear seat (sunsport seating) and under both helm bucket seats...the deck was cut out from in front of the helm seats to the engine compartment (the wood foward of this and rearward was fine). I then dug all that damn foam (yes also on a 95 degree day here in LI), there was some rot to the stringers and bulkheads so I had a glass shop fix them...then I replaced the foam...installed the new deck with 3M 4200 and stainless scews...and realized I did not want to reinstall the carpet...so back to the glass shop to have them gelcoat it in non skid...it came out pretty well and the boat is very solid now....here are some pix...

BTW I have the same power plant too...4.3 Cobra with a 4bbl...I changed from a 14.5 x 19 prop to a 15 x 17 prop and the performance improved dramatically...the 200 is actually 20'9'' so it's on the big side for a 4.3 but with the 4 bbl it does fine...these older Horizons were very stable and good handling boats...they had a pretty narrow beam and true deep V hull (21* at the stern) so they take rough water very well for their size...And I like the fact that there is no molded in fiberglass around the sides of the engine like in many newer I/O powered boats....you can slide the rear seats foward and get right into the sides of the engine...even changing the starter was no problem.....So I hope to be able to keep using this one for a while....

Attachments

• Boat 1a.jpg
    Boat 1a.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1
  • old floor.jpg
    old floor.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 1
  • foam in.jpg
    foam in.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1
  • boat2a.jpg
    boat2a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Lou,
I see your a New Yorker (YAWKAA). I was born and raised on Long Island (longisland). Moved to florida in 89, but, ive lived in alot of different areas.

As for the boat. I really love it. It is a solid boat, and i guess after 20 years its about time to fix a few things. Im tearing all the crap out of the boat. I have to pull the cap, because im going to redo the transom as well. If im doing all this, im doing it all at once.

Im still pulling foam. Under my ski locker is wet as well. So I may be doing some work there as well. There are four wholes in the ski locker, when i put a screw driver in there, i can feel the foam is all wet. Anyway, no big deal.

I havent gotten to pulling the engine yet, that will be fun to say the least.
But all in all, i really like the boat. I know im in for a long restore on this, but you know what, at the end of it, i can say, hey, I did this. I got some more pics from todays work. Documenting as much as i can, this way i have something to look at when i cant remember where something goes.

Being you have an OMC, i will posting the factory manual online this week. I have one that i found on ebay. Its the actual OMC service manual that tells you how to tear everything apart and put it back together on these sterndrives. One of the guys in the repair forum is gonna put it in his sticky once i have a link for him, so keep an eye on this post,if you need a manual.

Happy Boating.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Hey looks like you're going to be doing it right....I didn't have to do the engine mounts...transom or ski locker...but the stringers and deck were enough.....anyway when you get done you will have a boat that's more solid than many production boats...because after reading on this site and others (classic mako .com is another good one) you will know the right way for it to be done. And you will be using better materials...taking more time...sealing all edges of the plywood...and most important sealing all holes for seat mounts...etc. Another thing....just get rid of the carpet...I kept the carpet on the gunnels because that saved having to gelcoat up the sides...but no way did I want carpet on the deck again...

Thanks for the work in the manual...I happen to have an OE one I bought 7 years ago from my dealer when they were still available...but that will really help OMC owners who want to do their own maintenance...
And don't let the OMC nay-saysers get you down...a well adjusted Cobra will shift with 2 fingers...mine does....and for a 21 year old sterndrive used at least 10 years in salt water...has needed minimal repairs....

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Okay well the weekend came and went, or went and came and then went again. I dont know. ALL I know is, man there is alot of rotted wood and soaking wet foam in this boat. LOL. But you know what. Im getting it out. Spent about 5 hours working on digging crap out of the boat. Got the carpet pulled out off the hull. Im cutting out the peices that have the cup holders in them, dont know exactly what they are called, but will giving me better access to the edges of the floor. Removed the shifter\throttle. Just removed right at the engine, was easier to get off then trying to dismantle the entire mechanism, What a pain in the ARSE that was trying to get it apart.

Any, she is back at the storage now covered up.

Also for anyone interested I have loaded the OMC Factory Manual for Cobra outdrives.

here is the link for download

http://www.mediafire.com/file/mzdzzqjmdzd/OMC Manual.zip

I know not the place, just wanted to put it in a thread for anyone interested. I think DON S over in the repair forum is adding it as a sticky as well, so it will be there...

Have a great week all

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Well last night was another nite with powertools. I actually found some solid wood and dry foam. Amazing, I was beginning to think the boat was put together with rotted wood and soaking wet foam. Glad to see something was done right at some portion of the original build. But in any even, all of it is coming out anyway. I dont want to peice together a portion of floor and stringers with original. I would rather have the peace of mind knowing it is all new and sealed up.

In addition to cutting back more floor with the cordless circular saw, which didnt last long on the battery, i removed the outdrive. So now that is out of the way. Just need to remove the rams, and get the rest of the gear off. Then i will hopefully be able to tell just how bad the transom is.

Anyway, figured i would replace the gimbal bearing and some other things while i got her apart.

All in all, it was a pretty easy nite if not for the damn fiberglass in the forearm. Thank god for duct tape.

Until next time, happy boating.

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Well this weekend was as you guessed it, HOT. I know, Steve stop your complaining about the heat and sweat and all that jazz. But man, its tough to do things when your eyes are burning so bad from the salt coming out of your body from sweat. I may have to go 70s style on this rebuild and get a friggin head band to keep it out of my eyes.
Anyway, got pretty much all of the outdrive gear off. Had an issue with the Starboard side ram though. The nuts on the hydraulic lines got rounded on on one of the lines, at both ends, so i unfortunately had to cut it off to remove the ram. Not to happy about that, but was thinking, depending on price, may just buy 4 new hydro lines for it anyway. We'll see.
Did some more floor removal as well. Little pieces. due to the fact most of the big areas are out already. Tackled the fuel tank. Got most of the fuel syphoned out, before my cheap syphon broke and i lost a piece inside the tank. No biggie though, ill get the rest out in due time and then get the syphon tip out some how. Im not worried to much to be honest.
Now that the tank is out, i think tonight ill take some measurements of everything. Im hoping to have the engine pulled soon. But not sure when im gonna be able to get that done as the next 2 weekends have family events. Damn the Family thing.
The bulkheads are probably the worst rotted areas on the boat. I mean they are pretty much just fiberglass shells with nothing in them. But i tell you what, its much easier to manuever in the boat without that damn tank in there.
Alright, thats about all i got for this week so far.

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Well got a question for everyone.
Im at the point of my tear down, that i either need to pull the cap off the boat to get to the wood under the bow, which doesnt look rotted from my vantage point looking through the ski locker, or do i just leave it and not mess with removing the cap. Im a little stuck with this, as i dont know how im gonna get it off, or where im gonna store it while it is off as i dont have a garage or a backyard. So Im at a crossroads right now.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc.

Also, what is the best way ensure the hull doesnt spread out. Does that make sense.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you doing your transom? If so then I'd definitely pull the cap. If not, then I wouldn't

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah Im doing the transom as well but i can actually get to that without pulling the cap believe it or not. And I can get it to very easily it looks like. Just gotta get the engine out of the way.

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Hi All,
Well. Its been a bit since i last wrote anything on this boat repair\restoration\complete frustration. Whatever you want to call it. But hey, She doesnt complain that i dont spend time with her, doesnt complain that I dont take her to dinner. Hell she doesnt complain about much of anything. So I guess i should be happy that my boat is pretty quiet in that respect. Nothing really to report. Ive been busy with other obligations so i havent had the chance to really get back at it the last week or so. And this week isnt looking any better. So nothing new to report.
Hopefully after this weekend ill be able to get the engine pulled and start tearing out the transom and what not.
Happy boating to all of you that have WORKING boats. LOL

ou18

Seaman Apprentice

Hi All,
Well i havent had much head way on anything with the boat. I am in the midst of trying to find an indoor storage unit, being i dont have a garage or backyard big enough to do the rest of this work. So the hunt is on. Im going to pull the cap, I think its the right way to go. Will give me peace of mind knowing all the rotted wood is out of this thing and replaced. Plus, after watching Lowkee make headway on his boat and make some modifications to allow for better drainage from the bow area, it seems to make more sense. So, once i find a storage facility with enough space to pull the cap and set it down in the same area, and pull the engine, im off to the races. Especially being that the boat is now paid for. WOOHOOOO. Last payment sent in this past week. Title is on its way. Im stoked about that. Now to dump another 2grand into it. But at least she will be sea worthy, that is for sure.

Alright everyone, happy boating, heres to finding a indoor facility to get this done with.